The Backcountry Gear Thread!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
    Well my gear was pretty spot on and would do it the same next time EXCEPT ONE THING. I will not use a foam pad again only inflatable going forward.
    Why I asked you about it. I’ve had really good luck with seas to summit comfort series because it’s two chambers( top and bottom). Technically you have a back up if one goes down

Mine has probably over 90 nights on it no issues

Congrats on the ram!!
    Last edited by Texans42; 08-27-2018, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
      Iodine tabs or just trust your filter?
      Steripen and iodine tablets. Skip the pump, too bulky, heavy, and can freeze and crack.

Either way, iodine tablets no matter your primary means just so your trip isn't ruined when your primary water filter device fails.

Comment

Originally posted by Shallowater View Post
        Unfortunately, a checkbook plus a man with horses is the great equalizer.
        To an extent. Still gotta have a spot to water/feed those horses, finding flat spots to set up camp, and if the hills are steep at all, gotta be able to walk them. If chubbs hasn't climbed a single stair all summer, even if he gets back 2 or 3 more miles, he's still gotta be able to climb hills.

Or at least that's how I am justifying out set up being good lol!

Comment

My experience backpack hunting is limited, only one whitetail trip in the Quebec Run Wild Area in PA about 15 years ago. But I used to backpack a lot in the 80's and did some more in the early 2000's as well. The tarps have come a long way, but I hated them back then lol. I like a tent. Rain and winds swirl sometimes and getting wet trying to sleep is not fun for me. Also once a furry critter paid a late night visit, which a rough way to wake up . With my health issues I don't know if I will ever get to go a backpack hunt again, definitely not solo, but I greatly enjoyed reading this thread.

Comment

You can get a pump that's same weight has a steripen and more robust

Katadyn micropur tablets taste better then the old school iodine

Comment

Michael: Saw your interview video at Kifaru. Helpful stuff there. Not sure if it's been posted here yet, but, if not you should. And good luck on your hunt!

Comment

4 days until I'm headed to Montana. Hunting private land with a nice house on the property so I don't have to worry about weight too much. As you can tell by my packing I'm pretty pumped to not have to carry most of this every second of every day. We might spend the night on the mountain 4 or 5 days so the laxative in a bag is coming too.

Comment

Who all is running Mystery Ranch packs? There is a 25% off sale and I am really considering picking up the metcalf

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
                    Iodine tabs or just trust your filter?
                    I used a Sawyer Squeeze on AT. They work amazing. Trust them. They have a small and a regular size. Get the regular size as it flows a lot more water.

Comment

My tent, sleeping bag, pad take up a lot of space. I pack a 2 man tent due to roominess and gear protection. I don't really think I would like a bivy sack, any suggestions? Does the tarp eqpt. really protect you from the weather??

Comment

Originally posted by perow View Post
                        Who all is running Mystery Ranch packs? There is a 25% off sale and I am really considering picking up the metcalf
                        Where is the sale?

Comment

Scheels

Comment

Originally posted by Jibby View Post
                            My tent, sleeping bag, pad take up a lot of space. I pack a 2 man tent due to roominess and gear protection. I don't really think I would like a bivy sack, any suggestions? Does the tarp eqpt. really protect you from the weather??
                            I use a 1 person Big Agnes Fly Creek (1lb 11oz) and it has a big enough Vestibule to but my pack and boots under.

Comment

The Backcountry Gear Thread!!!!!

Originally posted by Jibby View Post

I endured a pretty decent storm from 5am until 9:30am last a couple of weeks ago on my trip to the mountains. I pitched the tarp in a tarp/tent configuration (with front opening).

I "played" the thermals with my setup and had the opening facing downhill. It stayed completely dry under the tarp. No water seeped in or under the tarp. If the wind would have shifted, I could have pulled the door openings in tighter and "flaps in", and in a pinch could use my tyvek ground cloth to completely enclose it. I'll be sleeping under a tarp for 8 days beginning Thursday. I'll let you know how it works out over an extended period!
                              My Flickr Photos

Comment

We rode out a couple of nice little storms in our tarps. Make sure your opening is facing away from the rain or wind and you will be fine. Also there are a few ways to pitch, so learn a couple and use the best way for the situation.

Comment

Working...
                                X