Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Phil Mickelson - Strategic or Unethical?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought it was awesome, he new he was out of the tournament and said it was always something he’s wanted to do. I think your going to see more players do it until they change the rule.

Comment

Originally posted by 17ncs View Post
      It is the worst kind of cheating. Until the interview there was the question of whether he did it to save himself from the next shot or not. In the interview he said that was why he did it. Two shots for hitting ball in motion. Doing it to alter the course of the ball DQ. It is the worst you can do. I was hoping David Fay was coming on the broadcast to say he had been DQed but no such luck.
      This is a game we play on our own and are responsible for the highest ethical considerations. That’s gone by the wayside with Phil. He must have had a few beers with Hoffman.
      Strategic is what we did with the Local Rule for mulligans last year at the TBH Open on the next to last hole

So did Phil and he said so to Curtis Strange.
      He took advantage of a rule in the book, when he felt it was in his best interest, to do so. Pro golfers take advantage of the rules all of the time, in many different situations. This was neither cheating, nor unethical, IMHO.

Originally posted by JLivi1224 View Post
      Those of you calling it cheating should suggest they re-write the rule. Using the rules to your advantage, if that is in fact what he did, is just taking full advantage of what you’re given.
      Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
      They need to re-write rule if they don't want some taking advantage of it.
      ^^^ I agree with both of these statements

Comment

Jack or Arnold ever do this? I think not. His intent was clearly to alter the path of the ball and use it to his advantage. USGA is weak.

Comment

I wonder if anyone besides Phil would have done this would it be another rule?

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
            I wonder if anyone besides Phil would have done this would it be another rule?
            Daly has done it in a US Open. Same penalty.

Comment

If the officials actually had a playable course then it may have never happened. I enjoy watching good shots stick around the green where they are supposed to be. Not see great shots slide on an ice highway and run off the greens. If the course is not watered down then Sunday will be just as bad as Saturday was.

Comment

No one's going to remember the Open 10 years from now, who won...but they'll remember your 10! My, God, Phil, it was...Well, it's immortal!

Comment

Was just trying to hit the ball before it went through the windmill into the clown's mouth. Hit the moving ball, used available rules, took the penalty. Don't see any problem whatsoever. USGA should have a playable course for our national championship. They're the ones who are being unethical. This track is ridiculous.

Comment

I'm guessing they water the course tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                      They need to re-write rule if they don't want some taking advantage of it.
                      I think they should rewrite the dictionary and omit the word "ethical."

Comment

I really liked that. Did he cross the line on golf ethics? Maybe but I like Phil.

Comment

Not gonna lie, when he started jogging over to his ball then hit it while it was moving, I absolutely lost it. lol!! That was good stuff there...classic.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

You fellas are using the term "ethical" in discussion of a game where you hit a small white ball in an attempt to put it in a hole. That's some real first world problems. He clearly understood the rules and also understood that by taking the penalty he gave himself the best chance of finishing the task at hand. There is nothing "unethical" about that. It's a game.

On that note; it's amazing that the people in charge can present a course that even the best in the world look like weekend warriors.

Comment

Originally posted by Drop Tine View Post
                              You fellas are using the term "ethical" in discussion of a game where you hit a small white ball in an attempt to put it in a hole. That's some real first world problems. He clearly understood the rules and also understood that by taking the penalty he gave himself the best chance of finishing the task at hand. There is nothing "unethical" about that. It's a game.

On that note; it's amazing that the people in charge can present a course that even the best in the world look like weekend warriors.
                              So, ethics only come into play when the stakes are high? Ehhh, gonna have to disagree. As my HS coach always told me, “There is no such thing as situational ethics. You either are or your aren’t!”

Comment

I love the winning score around par in this tournament, it’s the only tournament of the year that’s like it. Kinda tired of -15 scores

Comment

Working...
                                X