Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Phil Mickelson - Strategic or Unethical?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even David Fay, former director of the USGA just said he felt Phil should have been DQ'd. I think he blatantly cheated and shouldn't be playing tomorrow as a result regardless of what his reasoning was.

I've always been a huge fan of Phil but that was certainly disappointing to see.

Comment

Originally posted by Kmart49 View Post
      Even David Fay, former director of the USGA just said he felt Phil should have been DQ'd. I think he blatantly cheated and shouldn't be playing tomorrow as a result regardless of what his reasoning was.

I've always been a huge fan of Phil but that was certainly disappointing to see.
      If that's the case, they need to make intentionally hitting a moving ball an automatic DQ....no questions asked.

Comment

Yep, would take a big set to disqualify him but it sounds like a possibility.

Sent from my LG-M255 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
          If that's the case, they need to make intentionally hitting a moving ball an automatic DQ....no questions asked.
          I completely agree.

Comment

It is the worst kind of cheating. Until the interview there was the question of whether he did it to save himself from the next shot or not. In the interview he said that was why he did it. Two shots for hitting ball in motion. Doing it to alter the course of the ball DQ. It is the worst you can do. I was hoping David Fay was coming on the broadcast to say he had been DQed but no such luck.

This is a game we play on our own and are responsible for the highest ethical considerations. That’s gone by the wayside with Phil. He must have had a few beers with Hoffman.

Strategic is what we did with the Local Rule for mulligans last year at the TBH Open on the next to last hole

Originally posted by oktx View Post
            I believe it was going to roll off the green.
            So did Phil and he said so to Curtis Strange.
            Last edited by 18ncs; 06-16-2018, 03:51 PM.

Comment

In the NBA they take advantage of the rules all the time - Hack a Shaq or Capela for that matter. In the NFL - DB’s will intentionality interfere or tackle a WR without the football to save a TD. They take the penalty and move on. I would not have done it, but it does not bother me that he did it. To each his own.
              Last edited by Das71198; 06-16-2018, 03:43 PM.

Comment

The way his round went, that might be what he was hoping for.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckley99 View Post
                  To clarify, I’m not debating whether or not it was frustration or a strategic decision. I’m asking, if it was strategic, was he in the right to do it (knowing it would cost him two strokes) or should he have followed the spirit of the rule?
                  They said he should of called it an un-playable lie and it would only cost him one stroke. I play golf and am confused...............

Comment

Those of you calling it cheating should suggest they re-write the rule. Using the rules to your advantage, if that is in fact what he did, is just taking full advantage of what you’re given.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckley99 View Post
                      Those watching the US Open likely saw Phil putt a moving ball, as it was rolling off the green (he was penalized 2 strokes). When asked about it, he said it was a strategic decision. Assuming it was a conscious decision, what are your thoughts?

Was Phil wrong or did he simply use the rules to his (perceived) advantage?

Do you believe that we are called to follow the letter of the law/rule or the spirit of the law/rule?
                      if he was quick enough to decide the 2 stroke penalty was to his advantage,, good for him,,,, any other player can make the same decision and receive the same penalty for doing so,,,, smart use of the rules and penalties if it pans out,,, if not he paid the penalty for no gain..... and it is probably not the first time it has ever been done...... any golfers ever have to decide

"do i take the drop and penalty of take a chance i get lucky hitting from the rough under low hanging limbs".....
                      no different than a baseball coach knowing the rules well enough to bring it to a umpires attention ..... aj hinch did it on a balk call the other day and they won the game because of it......

Comment

IMHO this should not be compared to other sports. In golf, integrity plays a major role... Seems to me like he broke a rule/cheated or what ever is everyone's take on it. He was subsequently penalized for it, so let's move on... No need for a special council to investigate this sh@t

Comment

They need to re-write rule if they don't want some taking advantage of it.

Comment

I completely agree.
                            I agree. But I would have done worse.
                            Those conditions on that course are stupid

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                              They need to re-write rule if they don't want some taking advantage of it.
                              This here!^^

If everyone can do it? Why would it be unethical?

Comment

I thought his explanation was pretty funny. Especially when he said had he not stopped the ball then he would still be out there hitting. He had one of the worst rounds ever. Frustrating day for him for sure. He laughed it off. The RULE says it is a two stroke penalty for hitting a moving ball. It’s done. He is not winning the tournament. He is still one of my favorites to watch.

Comment

Working...
                                X