Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solo Elk Scouting Trip: What I Learned (and Dealing with Altitude Sickness)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like my TUT a lot, the stove option was a life saver on an Idaho trip.

Comment

As far as exercise, nothing beats mileage with a progressively heavier pack on uneven terrain. I've tried gym workouts but they don't do it for me. When I was last training seriously, it was walk on pavement with weight 3 times a week and an 8 to 12 mile hike with half to three quarters weight on weekend with rest in between. Of course, the last serious climb was when I was 56. If your younger you can probably do more. Dinosaur valley state park in Glen rose is where I usually trained. It is hilly, the ground is uneven, and during the summer you can usually sneek in about 6 and be done by 10 before it gets super hot. If you haven't backpacked or alpine climbed, don't discount training on uneven ground. You will expend a lot of energy just balancing yourself with the pack on.

Having read your earlier posts, I have a mind to drop 60 lbs and go chase elk again.

One last thing, once you've hunted out west, hunting deer over feeders won't be the same. Next year will be the first year in 9 I will hunt Texas whitetails only because my two youngest will be hunting them. One with a bow and one with a muzzle loader.

Comment

Michael, does the inreach have the Walkie talkie feature to communicate with other hunters in your group?

Comment

Wow! Sorry to hear about the Alt sickness. 10K-11K or tree line is no joke. Whole different ball game above 10K feet.

Arrive a couple days early for your hunt this will give your body time to acclimate to the altitude.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamesl View Post
            2 a days? Talk about ramping it up. My orthopedic surgeon who also hunts told me that running stairs was fine as long as I skipped a day in between to let the knee ligaments rest. Makes sense. You should really try pulling a weighted tire around. I bought a harness and lanyard off Amazon. I really like the work out. Feels like I am going up hill on flatland.
            Do you have a link to what you bought?
            Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
            As far as exercise, nothing beats mileage with a progressively heavier pack on uneven terrain. I've tried gym workouts but they don't do it for me. When I was last training seriously, it was walk on pavement with weight 3 times a week and an 8 to 12 mile hike with half to three quarters weight on weekend with rest in between. If you haven't backpacked or alpine climbed, don't discount training on uneven ground. You will expend a lot of energy just balancing yourself with the pack on.
            It's hard finding uneven ground around here!
            Originally posted by TheHammer View Post
            Michael, does the inreach have the Walkie talkie feature to communicate with other hunters in your group?
            Unfortunately not. The guys I'm going with have the Rhinos. I might borrow one for the hunt, but that's one more piece of gear (and weight) that I'll have to pack. It was a tough decision on the Rhino or Inreach, but peace of mind for wife won out (especially on a solo hike).
            My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Larry View Post
              My two main rules for elk hunting is walk slow and make sure you have a friend bigger than you to help drag your elk (and maybe you). Also helps if you shoot one close to a road with ATV access. Hi Jay!

Good stuff, Michael. Looking forward to the hunt! My two times to hunt Colorado elk I was really ill prepared. I've vowed to be in much better shape the next time...just not sure when that will be.

Hi Larry

It was a piece of cake. I’d do that again in a heartbeat

Comment

Originally posted by Larry View Post
                My two main rules for elk hunting is walk slow and make sure you have a friend bigger than you to help drag your elk (and maybe you). Also helps if you shoot one close to a road with ATV access. Hi Jay!

Good stuff, Michael. Looking forward to the hunt! My two times to hunt Colorado elk I was really ill prepared. I've vowed to be in much better shape the next time...just not sure when that will be.
                That cow was probably pretty easy to put a sneak on. Looks like wolves had already eaten her hooves off

Comment

Originally posted by LWC View Post
                  That cow was probably pretty easy to put a sneak on. Looks like wolves had already eaten her hooves off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  My Flickr Photos

Comment

Working...
                  X