Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solo Elk Scouting Trip: What I Learned (and Dealing with Altitude Sickness)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't believe the amount of camera equipment you lugged up there. You should have a non hunter go with you to do the cameraman work.

Comment

Thanks for sharing this info

Comment

altitude can be tough on flatlanders....third trip to Co I had a friend that was a land surveyor, 25 years old in good shape. We arrived at the trailshead at 2 am. decided to sleep in the truck and unload at daybreak. About 4am buddy rolls out of the truck on top of me, gasping for air, unable to talk. His throat is constricted and he is struggling to breathe. I unhook the horse trailer and head towards the nearest small town 10 miles away. First thing I see in town is a blue hospital sign. Nurse gives shim a shot of epi and he is better in minutes, but he is worthless the rest of the trip. No strength or hiking stamina.

Comment

Something that will help you for future altitude situations is taking a high quality BCAA before you start. Mid day, not a horrible idea to have some mixed up to take again.
          Hydration and nutrition are major factors. Being in shape will only help so much if you're not accustomed to the altitude.

Comment

I'll have to watch the video later, but I've been there on the altitude sickness. A group of us rode atvs up in the higher elevations one year. Every one of us ended up puking through the night. I've never had it like that when skiing though.
            Mayor, you sure it wasn't the brown bottle flu? [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Way to puke and rally Michael. Im astounded by the amount of electronic gear youre humping....however...I do look forward to your kill shots. Hump on!

Comment

I wouldn't worry too much about your pack weight until after you get your Kifaru. It is gonna make a huge difference in how your load feels. Keep up the solid work.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhuntamistad View Post
                  As much as you'd want to and how cool it is, I'd leave the camera gear at home and concentrate on the hunt. Too much to worry about and heavy to bring in.

JMO
                  Capturing images and video from the trip is a huge part of the experience of the trip for me, as is the long hike to hunt public land with a bow. I may take less (or lighter) camera gear, but I won't go without camera gear.

Originally posted by Jamesl View Post
                  I can't believe the amount of camera equipment you lugged up there. You should have a non hunter go with you to do the cameraman work.
                  That was largely intentional. I wanted to get a feel for heavy pack weight and figure out which gear worked best and what I didn't use much (or at all).

My partner, Adam, is an accomplished photographer and we'll complement each other well.

Originally posted by DTala View Post
                  altitude can be tough on flatlanders....third trip to Co I had a friend that was a land surveyor, 25 years old in good shape. We arrived at the trailshead at 2 am. decided to sleep in the truck and unload at daybreak. About 4am buddy rolls out of the truck on top of me, gasping for air, unable to talk. His throat is constricted and he is struggling to breathe. I unhook the horse trailer and head towards the nearest small town 10 miles away. First thing I see in town is a blue hospital sign. Nurse gives shim a shot of epi and he is better in minutes, but he is worthless the rest of the trip. No strength or hiking stamina.
                  I can relate. My strength was gone by the end of the trip.
                  Originally posted by justhrowit View Post
                  Something that will help you for future altitude situations is taking a high quality BCAA before you start. Mid day, not a horrible idea to have some mixed up to take again.
                  Hydration and nutrition are major factors. Being in shape will only help so much if you're not accustomed to the altitude.
                  I had some BCAA pills, but I'm not sure how "high quality" they were.
                  Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                  Way to puke and rally Michael. Im astounded by the amount of electronic gear youre humping....however...I do look forward to your kill shots. Hump on!

Originally posted by Stoof View Post
                  I wouldn't worry too much about your pack weight until after you get your Kifaru. It is gonna make a huge difference in how your load feels. Keep up the solid work.
                  I just got off the phone with Frank and pulled the trigger on the Cavern. It should be here in a couple of weeks.
                  My Flickr Photos

Comment

Great video Michael, looking forward to more updates on your trip!

Comment

Altitude sickness can do some strange things to people. As well as the sick, tired and hung over feeling it can cause some major paranoia. One year we were camped at about 10,000ft. between Lone Cone and Little Cone (unit 70-71). We had 3 wall tents for sleeping. I got up to pee about 2:00am. I was surprised to see one of the other hunters from one of the other tents pacing back and forth in camp. I asked him what was wrong. He said "I have got to get out of here now. I don't know what is wrong with me. I am going crazy". I got him calmed down a little and told him it was the altitude. Now this was a grown man and he was crying like a baby. At daylight I drove him down to Norwood which is about 7000 ft. By the time we got down to Norwood he was fine and said "I can't believe I did that.....I want to go back up". I think for him it was a combination of hiking to far early in the trip, dehydration, and possibly to much Crown and Coke after dinner. He took it easy the rest of the trip. Matter of fact he never got over 200 yards from camp.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
                        Altitude sickness can do some strange things to people. As well as the sick, tired and hung over feeling it can cause some major paranoia. One year we were camped at about 10,000ft. between Lone Cone and Little Cone (unit 70-71). We had 3 wall tents for sleeping. I got up to pee about 2:00am. I was surprised to see one of the other hunters from one of the other tents pacing back and forth in camp. I asked him what was wrong. He said "I have got to get out of here now. I don't know what is wrong with me. I am going crazy". I got him calmed down a little and told him it was the altitude. Now this was a grown man and he was crying like a baby. At daylight I drove him down to Norwood which is about 7000 ft. By the time we got down to Norwood he was fine and said "I can't believe I did that.....I want to go back up". I think for him it was a combination of hiking to far early in the trip, dehydration, and possibly to much Crown and Coke after dinner. He took it easy the rest of the trip. Matter of fact he never got over 200 yards from camp.
                        WOW! Fortunately I didn't experience anything like that!
                        My Flickr Photos

Comment

Great info! I need to look into the Garmin in reach! I heard about trekking poles on the Meateater and Huntbackcountry podcasts and I used them on my Hagerman pig hunt and it made a huge difference when you have a heavy pack!

Comment

Originally posted by Shake N' Bake View Post
                            Great info! I need to look into the Garmin in reach! I heard about trekking poles on the Meateater and Huntbackcountry podcasts and I used them on my Hagerman pig hunt and it made a huge difference when you have a heavy pack!

The Inreach is great. They just announced the Inreach mini, which I wanted but couldn't get before this trip. I got the explorer and am very happy with it, especially for a solo trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            My Flickr Photos

Comment

How likely is altitude sickness at around 7500-8500 ft?

Comment

How early are y'all planning on getting there ahead of time for the hunt? It makes a huge difference giving yourself a day or 2 to acclimate before really doing the hard strenuous hiking.

Comment

Working...
                                X