Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You don't have to identify yourself anymore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BolilloLoco View Post
    Been there. Done that. Got tazed.
    Got video??

Comment

Originally posted by flyby View Post
      From the LE side, try looking at it this way. We are trained to try to prevent crime proactively. If I see suspicious activity in the parking lot of the hotel you're staying at at 3 in the morning do you want me to ignore it? Your F250 and $50,000 boat are parked out there. Just because two guys are driving through the parking lot slowly with the lights out- which isn't illegal- do you want me to turn my head and keep on driving?

This exactly!!! No one wants to comply until they are the ones that needs the cops. See it all the time I hate the cops FU pig until someone seal their stuff or beats the crap out of them. Who do you think they call? Bet they are will to give ID then.

Comment

Originally posted by kfd82 View Post
        I cant understand why so many people are willing to give up their rights?
        How am I giving up my rights by presenting LEO with my ID when requested?

Do I have the option?
        Yes, yes I do...and by doing so I'm not giving any rights up.

I choose the option to show my ID when politely requested by LEO because:
        1) I have done nothing wrong...
        2) I have nothing to hide...
        3) I support LEO & being a Dooosh to them isn't helping anyone...

It's a looooong stretch to compare search/seizure or my gun rights, to choosing to show my ID when requested by LEO...

I wonder how many people who choose the Dooosh option, also have a Facebook account for the world to see...

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
          Im telling you, the whole "Yes sir, I do have ID, am I being detained?" doesnt work. You gotta say ( repeat after me ) "I AINT DO NUFFIN!" real loud. You do that and he will be like "Oh ok, sorry for bothering you, have a good night" . They know if you say you aint do nuffin, that you aint do nuffin. Its that easy.

Comment

That law above doesn't say anything about giving them your id. It says identify yourself. Tell them who you are and where you live. If they have cause then they will want to see your id.

When they pull you over for a traffic violation they have cause to see your id.

Be polite, if you refuse, they know you know your rights. Most people don't. They happily give permission for law enforcement to search their vehicles. If they have probable cause they will search whether you want them to or not, just don't freely give them permission.

Comment

I know boys, buttt what can be dohn?

Comment

Originally posted by double bogey View Post
                If they have probable cause they will search whether you want them to or not, just don't freely give them permission.
                Oh someone on here please do this & report back to us...

Especially if its with some SO, out on some far county dirt road & late at night after the JP has already gone to bed...

Comment

Originally posted by Da' Hitman View Post
                  I would want you to simply watch and see if they do commit a crime. Just your presence in that example would probably push anyone with criminal intent to move on

Sidenote, is it legal to drive through a parking lot at 3am with no lights on?
                  So, in a fully marked police car you want me to watch and see if they commit a crime? Think they will? Or will they move on to the next hotel down the road and burglarize or steal your buddies truck and boat? Either way I'm covered, didn't see a crime in progress, didn't contact subjects to investigate and possibly develop reasonable suspicion or probable cause to arrest. Didn't ask for ID, they may say F off and hurt my feelings.

Sorry, not the way I work. And no, it's not illegal to drive on private property with lights off.

Comment

I'm not ashamed of who I am. I will show them my ID.
                    It's better than showing how stupid i am by not showing my ID.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I have done it before. Didn't get searched as he knew he didn't have probable cause. Like I wrote, if they have cause they will search anyway. I am a law abiding citizen, if they violate my rights, I will be a rich one.

Comment

Originally posted by Pstraw View Post
                        I was taught RESPECT for authority at a very early age. something like this...

Dad: Son, go tell your little brother that you are sorry for hitting him.

Me: I don't have to.

Dad: Now Son, go apologize to your brother.

Me: Sniffling, whimpering, and holding my rosy butt, I'm sorry.

To this day I still respect persons with authority. May not always like them but will respect them. I've tried the other way more than once but at the end of the day respect goes a long way in making life easier.

There’s a way to retain your rights and be respectful at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by flyby View Post
                          From the LE side, try looking at it this way. We are trained to try to prevent crime proactively. If I see suspicious activity in the parking lot of the hotel you're staying at at 3 in the morning do you want me to ignore it? Your F250 and $50,000 boat are parked out there. Just because two guys are driving through the parking lot slowly with the lights out- which isn't illegal- do you want me to turn my head and keep on driving?
                          Not at all!
                          I expect you, or rather would want you, to stop in and talk with them. If they are up to no good they will probably move on knowing that you know they are there.
                          BUT!
                          I could care less if you IDS them.
                          Knowing their name does not confirm or deny they are currently breaking a law.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Horse View Post
                            How am I giving up my rights by presenting LEO with my ID when requested?

Do I have the option?

Yes, yes I do...and by doing so I'm not giving any rights up.

I choose the option to show my ID when politely requested by LEO because:

1) I have done nothing wrong...

2) I have nothing to hide...

3) I support LEO & being a Dooosh to them isn't helping anyone...

It's a looooong stretch to compare search/seizure or my gun rights, to choosing to show my ID when requested by LEO...

I wonder how many people who choose the Dooosh option, also have a Facebook account for the world to see...

Knowing your rights and exercising them properly is not being a dooosh as you say.

Pissing away your rights just because is doooshy because that’s how they get lost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Why would you not show an ID are drivers license to LEO if requested? Guess I'm old school and respect their job.

Comment

Just to be clear, you can stand up for your rights and not be an a-hole about it. You dont have to be disrespectful.

Getting ID from you without cause is a subliminal "I'm in charge and have authority here" message to you. What do you think would happen if you asked the cop for his/her full name and address?

They have no right to my information unless I'm lawfully arrested.

Side note, if you are a passenger in a car that gets pulled over you do NOT have to ID yourself just because the cop wants to know who is in the car.
                                (now if you were not wearing a seatbelt, or had an open container and are getting a ticket thats different)

Comment

Working...
                                X