Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leave the Snake Alone

Originally posted by ken View Post
    Plus he was 57 so he probably wasn't going to make any additional contributions to the gene pool.

He sounds like an avid outdoorsman who’s thoughts were in the right place but his hands weren’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What about getting lung cancer from cigarettes? It says right there on the box you're gonna get sick. Surely not everyone that smokes cigarettes is illiterate.

Comment

My point is he's probably been doing it his whole life. Never thought anything of it and got careless. It could happen to anyone. We've all been around snakes but that doesn't mean we couldn't step on a snake big enough to trip over this weekend. It only takes that one time.

Dealing with electricity is the same way. Driving a car,handling a firearm and number of other things most people think nothing of on a daily basis. You have to have respect for anything that can injure you or end your life. If you lose that respect and start getting nonchalant about it something bad will happen. It's not a matter of if it will happen. It's a matter of when and how bad will it be.

Death from a snake bite is rare. Yes he messed up. But if it hadn't been for the heart issues he might have known nothing about I believe he'd probably still be here. I'm not making an excuse for the guy. He could have handled the whole situation differently. It's unfortunate that he didn't. But the same kind of thing could happen in a number of ways that some might look at as dumb or unnecessary. To him it was just part of life. Catching a snake....yeah no big deal,right? It is a big deal. That little sucker has no qualms against biting someone. I learned the hard way and so did he. Only difference is my heart didn't give out on me. Thank God....I'd have guys on here spittin on my grave and I couldn't do nothin except lay there and take it.
        Last edited by okrattler; 05-02-2018, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
          He picked up a live rattlesnake it bit him in the hand. He then picked it up with his other hand and it bit him in that hand. It cost him his life.

"Roberta Lewis told the newspaper he would sometimes bring snakes home to help control the mouse population"

How was he not an idiot?
          God said turn the other cheek. He turned the other hand. Probably not his smartest move, but I think he meant well. Rip Me snake rescuer!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MasonCo. View Post
            You ever drove your truck after drinking? Yeah, when I was a young stupid idiot. You ever play with gas and fire? Nope, getting burned sucks. You ever wade fish in the surf ? No surf around here You ever get in a tree stand without a harness? Ladder yes, hang on, no. You ever speed on a road you shouldn't be speeding on? Again, when I was a young idiot. Stuff I could go on about for days... Does it make you an idiot ?

All those things are foolish or stupid which is the definition of idiot. So yeah at the time of doing those things I was an idiot. And I'm sure I'll do something idiotic in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post

Death from a snake bite is rare. .

Very true.

What does it cost to be treated for a rattlesnake bite right now?

This is what google says.

Comment

Very true.

That would definitely be a severe bite at that costs. Mine was right at $40,000. A lot of it depends on the person and how they react to the bite. Some people even have an allergic reaction to the treatment. I sure wish I could rewind time and do things differently. It wasn't until a few years ago that I owned a pair of 5 foot snake tongs. I just always used my hands. It made me nervous when I first started doing it. After a while I could pick up a rattlesnake just like I was reaching down to pick up a stick. I had no kind of respect for what could happen. Found out pretty quick....the blink of an eye quick,that I'm not invincible. I can get hurt and it's expensive to get hurt.

I was no different than a buddy of mine that was scared to death to drive when he first got his drivers license. At 17 he had that truck moving fast everywhere he went. Drove the same roads to school every morning. One morning he made a mistake and rolled his truck 8 times. Got thrown out of the passenger window on the 2nd and layed there with the back of his head touching the back of his thighs. I load his wheelchair up before we go huntin now. He gets in it before he goes and teaches school every morning. He's not stupid....just made a big mistake.
                Last edited by okrattler; 05-02-2018, 10:35 PM.

Comment

My point is he's probably been doing it his whole life. Never thought anything of it and got careless. It could happen to anyone. We've all been around snakes but that doesn't mean we couldn't step on a snake big enough to trip over this weekend. It only takes that one time.

Dealing with electricity is the same way. Driving a car,handling a firearm and number of other things most people think nothing of on a daily basis. You have to have respect for anything that can injure you or end your life. If you lose that respect and start getting nonchalant about it something bad will happen. It's not a matter of if it will happen. It's a matter of when and how bad will it be.

Death from a snake bite is rare. Yes he messed up. But if it hadn't been for the heart issues he might have known nothing about I believe he'd probably still be here. I'm not making an excuse for the guy. He could have handled the whole situation differently. It's unfortunate that he didn't. But the same kind of thing could happen in a number of ways that some might look at as dumb or unnecessary. To him it was just part of life. Catching a snake....yeah no big deal,right? It is a big deal. That little sucker has no qualms against biting someone. I learned the hard way and so did he. Only difference is my heart didn't give out on me. Thank God....I'd have guys on here spittin on my grave and I couldn't do nothin except lay there and take it.

My dad has been around horses his entire life and one time he walked around the back of his horse after brushing it and it kicked the snot out of him. Broke 3 ribs and he had a bruise on his stomach(got kicked in the back) for several weeks later. He was also trimming a horse and the horse kicked sideways and broke his knee.

I guess if he died tomorrow from a horse we could all laugh at him and call him an idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
                    My dad has been around horses his entire life and one time he walked around the back of his horse after brushing it and it kicked the snot out of him. Broke 3 ribs and he had a bruise on his stomach(got kicked in the back) for several weeks later. He was also trimming a horse and the horse kicked sideways and broke his knee.

I guess if he died tomorrow from a horse we could all laugh at him and call him an idiot.

I know a guy that ran his fingers across a table saw. He's been a carpenter since I was a twinkle in my moms eye and never had any problems. It don't take but that one split second. A painless routine can turn into a painful experience scary fast.

But it's a learning experience. Most of the time. I'm very fortunate that I'm not dead as a hammer. Pain and mistakes is how I've learned most of the things that I know today. That's a big part of why I don't fault nobody for their mistakes in life. Trust me.....I'm a very understanding person. I've screwed up big time,time and time again.
                    Last edited by okrattler; 05-02-2018, 10:57 PM.

Comment

All those things are foolish or stupid which is the definition of idiot. So yeah at the time of doing those things I was an idiot. And I'm sure I'll do something idiotic in the future.
                      You don't play with gas and fire? AAHH what a wuss. LMFAO

Comment

Originally posted by Swampa View Post
                        I first thought about you as well
                        Nah, I ain't gonna let something like that happen if at all possible. If I'm gonna go out I want it to be something that takes everyone off guard like......A roller blading accident or getting stabbed by a midget serial killer or something off the wall like that. As a last request I'll have someone in my family or a buddy of mine give out my belongings as prizes to whoever can guess what happened.

First hint.....Guess "snake bite" just in case.LOL

I better not die of the Seenus. That would just be embarrassing.

Comment

Very sad and very avoidable tragedy.

Comment

Nah, I ain't gonna let something like that happen if at all possible. If I'm gonna go out I want it to be something that takes everyone off guard like......A roller blading accident or getting stabbed by a midget serial killer or something off the wall like that. As a last request I'll have someone in my family or a buddy of mine give out my belongings as prizes to whoever can guess what happened.

First hint.....Guess "snake bite" just in case.LOL

I don't know you but from some of your posts I'd give alot of money just to read the guesses.

Comment

My buddy didn't die, but Seenus just about did him in! He won't make that mistake again!

Comment

Very true.

I believe I would have to treated for cardiac arrest if I got that bill.

Comment

Working...
                                X