No announcement yet.

First Turkey Hunt!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone asked if you were hunting Easterns? I've heard they are more difficult. I've only hunted ol' dumb, Rios!

Comment

Went on my first turkey hunt (Rio Grande) last week. It's amazing how smart the turkey are, and how dumb I am with regards to turkey hunting. I'm reading everything I can find on turkey hunting now in anticipation of our last turkey hunt for the spring season next week. Hopefully, my son and I will have better luck next week.

Regards,

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by tgil View Post
        Someone asked if you were hunting Easterns? I've heard they are more difficult. I've only hunted ol' dumb, Rios!

Yes, apparently they are smarter than me too [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Double-O-Dave View Post
          Went on my first turkey hunt (Rio Grande) last week. It's amazing how smart the turkey are, and how dumb I am with regards to turkey hunting. I'm reading everything I can find on turkey hunting now in anticipation of our last turkey hunt for the spring season next week. Hopefully, my son and I will have better luck next week.

Regards,

Dave

Good Luck!!! I hope y’all get a big one!! [emoji884]

Comment

Originally posted by Becka Marie View Post
            Ugh.... nothing today! A couple gobbles off about 300-400 yards away but nothing to come in. I’m seriously considering calling it after today and heading back. I could stay the next 2 days but I’m already feeling defeated, I don’t think I have it in me.

I don’t consider it a failure, I’ve learned a lot and it was quite the experience that’s for sure. This was my first trip alone and my first crack at turkeys so I’m not too disappointed in myself. I just need more practice and for the days I was actually on them, it was more fun than I’ve had in a long time.

We’ll see how the rest of the week plays out.

I appreciate all the feedback and suggestions, it helps more than you guys realize! Thanks so much!

You'll be happier if you stick it out and keep grinding. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
              You'll be happier if you stick it out and keep grinding. Good luck.

You may be right.....

Thanks!

Comment

You gotta move on the birds often to call one in if you have the property to do so.

Comment

Good Luck!!! I hope y’all get a big one!! [emoji884]

Thanks, Becka Marie. In retrospect, I think our biggest mistake was underestimating the turkeys. They're not supposed to be very smart, but they skunked us. They also have good vision, and they have color vision and supposedly can see in the ultraviolet light range. Next time, instead of wearing camo and sitting under trees, we're going to wear full camo, including gloves and head nets, and hunt from inside the blinds. I think the turkeys spotted us way before we spotted them.

Regards,

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Double-O-Dave View Post
                    Thanks, Becka Marie. In retrospect, I think our biggest mistake was underestimating the turkeys. They're not supposed to be very smart, but they skunked us. They also have good vision, and they have color vision and supposedly can see in the ultraviolet light range. Next time, instead of wearing camo and sitting under trees, we're going to wear full camo, including gloves and head nets, and hunt from inside the blinds. I think the turkeys spotted us way before we spotted them.

Regards,

Dave

Yea, they are definitely way smarter than given credit for. I was in full camo, nothing exposed but my eyes...even then, they can spot you move even the slightest bit and then it’s all over. A blind would have been nice but not as practical as much as I spent chasing them around the woods. Perhaps if I could have set one up near the roosting spot then I could have just stayed out all week but we will chalk that up to lessons learned...

Comment

Yea, they are definitely way smarter than given credit for. I was in full camo, nothing exposed but my eyes...even then, they can spot you move even the slightest bit and then it’s all over. A blind would have been nice but not as practical as much as I spent chasing them around the woods. Perhaps if I could have set one up near the roosting spot then I could have just stayed out all week but we will chalk that up to lessons learned...

Don’t give up!!The turkeys are never suppose to win....never!!

Comment

Yea, they are definitely way smarter than given credit for. I was in full camo, nothing exposed but my eyes...even then, they can spot you move even the slightest bit and then it’s all over. A blind would have been nice but not as practical as much as I spent chasing them around the woods. Perhaps if I could have set one up near the roosting spot then I could have just stayed out all week but we will chalk that up to lessons learned... Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        I got lucky this morning and scored on 2 Rios! This past week I've been watching You Tube videos and reading books on turkey hunting. I also bought a box call - I bought the cheapest one I could find as I know I can't call worth a darn. Around 8:00 a.m. this morning, I could hear gobbling to my left. I made a few soft yelps and stopped. Gobble again, and I waited a few moments and made another set of soft yelps. Then nothing for a few minutes, so I made another set of soft yelps and was surprised to hear a gobble to my right - he had gone around behind me in the blind! This time, I tried to make a gobble on the box call. I had practiced it a few times, and it sounded weak, so I was hoping the turkey would think it was a young Jake moving in on his turf. Suddenly, a trio of Toms walked out of the brush line to my right and about 40 yards away. They were all about the same size, so as soon as one gave me a shot, I fired (5.56 mm Hornady Match 75 gr. BTHP) and he was doing the death flop. Surprisingly, the other 2 birds just stood there and watched him, so I put another round into a 2nd bird, but he ran off into the brush. The 3rd bird ran into the brush also, and he kept sticking his head out and making a "plock" call every few minutes, but I couldn't draw a bead on him. After a brief search, I found my 2nd turkey about 15 yards from where I shot him.

Man, wounded turkeys don't leave as easy a trail to follow as a wounded deer does! But like wounded deer, they seem to find some of the nastiest stuff (mesquite thicket) to hide in. Truth is, I didn't even expect to see any turkeys this morning. I had placed my son at the most likely spot, but he only saw hens. After photos, I made a gift of my "lucky" box call to my son.

Hey, now I understand why some people are so crazy about turkey hunting!

Regards,

Dave
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X