• Show
Clear All

Do you know yet where they roost?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tgil View Post
      Do you know yet where they roost?

I think there are a couple diff places, but I have found one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

10a-2p is killing time for gobblers. I love watching the woods wake up and listening to them gobble on the roost, but often kill late morning early afternoon....

Comment

I may have missed it.....are you hunting Easterns or Rios?

Comment

Originally posted by Becka Marie View Post
            I think there are a couple diff places, but I have found one.

Without going back through the whole thread, what about decoys? Are you using them yet?
            If I know where they are roosting, half of my work is done. Set up a decoy that can be seen within 100 yards of the roost. Sometimes I'll give out an owl hoot, in the dark (they will gobble back) just to be sure where they are. You can stay in stealth mode until they fly down and start calling, but I usually don't have the self control. I'll jack with those boys until they are so fired up they can't wait to see gets to the hen first!

Comment

Originally posted by tgil View Post
              Without going back through the whole thread, what about decoys? Are you using them yet?
              If I know where they are roosting, half of my work is done. Set up a decoy that can be seen within 100 yards of the roost. Sometimes I'll give out an owl hoot, in the dark (they will gobble back) just to be sure where they are. You can stay in stealth mode until they fly down and start calling, but I usually don't have the self control. I'll jack with those boys until they are so fired up they can't wait to see gets to the hen first!

I have never used decoys and tomorrow will be my first time. I’ve been reading a lot of forums and watching a lot of videos. Going to give it a try tomorrow....running out of time

Comment

Like they were saying. 10-2 is when you have an excellent chance of killing a lonely gobbler. They are sometimes henned up in the morning and can get hung up

Comment

Originally posted by 97JeepGuy View Post
                  Like they were saying. 10-2 is when you have an excellent chance of killing a lonely gobbler. They are sometimes henned up in the morning and can get hung up

Yes, I am going to plan to sit the day out tomorrow. Hoping it’s my lucky day!

Comment

Originally posted by MASTERS View Post
                    10a-2p is killing time for gobblers. I love watching the woods wake up and listening to them gobble on the roost, but often kill late morning early afternoon....

I wasn’t aware, I’ve been going in early around 6-7 and staying till around 10/11. That’s when it starts getting quiet so I left. Thanks for the help, I’m changing my game plan for tomorrow!!

Comment

Originally posted by Becka Marie View Post
                      I’m changing my game plan for tomorrow!!

Fingers crossed that tomorrow will be the day!

Comment

Good luck today.

It stinks that thunder chicken season is so short... and it makes it more frustrating. But if nothing else, you have put in a ton of work and have learned alot.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Are you waiting and trying a 10-2 hunt?

Comment

They can be killed anytime of the day. Yes they are hard to separate from a hen right at flydown. But I’m not giving up my sunrises and birds gobbling from the limb Stay with it and put as much time in the woods as you can

Comment

Originally posted by Passthrough View Post
                              They can be killed anytime of the day. Yes they are hard to separate from a hen right at flydown. But I’m not giving up my sunrises and birds gobbling from the limb Stay with it and put as much time in the woods as you can

Same....stay at em all day!

Comment

Ugh.... nothing today! A couple gobbles off about 300-400 yards away but nothing to come in. I’m seriously considering calling it after today and heading back. I could stay the next 2 days but I’m already feeling defeated, I don’t think I have it in me.

I don’t consider it a failure, I’ve learned a lot and it was quite the experience that’s for sure. This was my first trip alone and my first crack at turkeys so I’m not too disappointed in myself. I just need more practice and for the days I was actually on them, it was more fun than I’ve had in a long time.

We’ll see how the rest of the week plays out.

I appreciate all the feedback and suggestions, it helps more than you guys realize! Thanks so much!

Comment

Working...
                                X