Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How CWD Travels

https://www.qdma.com/this-cwd-map-sp...-deer-hunting/

The important take away from the article is, in the four country area in south west Wisconsin where CWD is very prevalent, hunters from all the lower 48 states harvested a deer from this area, and most likely took all, or some portion of that deer home. The article tracks the home zip code of the hunters who took a deer between 2016 and 2017. The graphic shows how easy it is for CWD to spread, just from this tiny area in Wisconsin, by travelling hunters.

The article also goes on to talk about proper meat care, and proper disposal of high risk parts, like the spine and brain.

that map doesnt show anything other than zipcodes of hunters that have killed a deer in an area.......it doesnt represent anything about CWD actually being spread to their states...and certainly isnt proof about how CWD will Take over the world....

This is another QDMA scare job.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
      that map doesnt show anything other than zipcodes of hunters that have killed a deer in an area.......it doesnt represent anything about CWD actually being spread to their states...and certainly isnt proof about how CWD will Take over the world....

This is another QDMA scare job.
      How does the prion spread if not by the transport of animal carcasses from a CWD prevalent area, to an area where it is not prevalent(aside from transport of livestock deer)?

The article isn't saying CWD has spread to all of the area's, only casting light on its potential to spread if meat is not cared for, and the carcass not disposed of, properly.

Personally, I would never have guessed that many people from other states hunt in that small 4 county area. Especially since there is a lot better places in WI to hunt.

Comment

Same can be said about all the out of state hunters in Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming that have shot and brought back deer and elk carcasses/parts....

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
          How does the prion spread if not by the transport of animal carcasses from a CWD prevalent area, to an area where it is not prevalent(aside from transport of livestock deer)?

The article isn't saying CWD has spread to all of the area's, only casting light on its potential to spread if meat is not cared for, and the carcass not disposed of, properly.

Personally, I would never have guessed that many people from other states hunt in that small 4 county area. Especially since there is a lot better places in WI to hunt.
          Originally posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
          Same can be said about all the out of state hunters in Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming that have shot and brought back deer and elk carcasses/parts....
          x 2!!!

As WItoTX stated, I would've never guessed that many hunters from that many areas traveled to a 4 county area in WI to hunt. It would be especially scary to see the same map for all hunters who have traveled to the state of Wisconsin and other big CWD states.

I foresee wardens soon being set up on state lines much more frequently, as they should be. This thing is beyond concerning.

It's kinda like I heard a pediatric dentist tell a kid one time. If you don't like your teeth, ignore them and they will go away...

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
            How does the prion spread if not by the transport of animal carcasses from a CWD prevalent area, to an area where it is not prevalent(aside from transport of livestock deer)?.
            https://media.giphy.com/media/Fa9yyk67wZ8Oc/giphy.gif

Comment

So yes if every hunter brought their deer home, cleaned and dumped the carcass in their backyard. Those appear to mostly be metro areas (Texas anyway) where any remaining parts where most likely put into waste containers. Not saying a couple did though.

I don't see any points in central or west texas. How did those deer get it??? (sarcasm)

Good info, bad message.

Comment

CWD travels just like you and I do...by truck.

Comment

Originally posted by fullsizeaggie View Post
                  So yes if every hunter brought their deer home, cleaned and dumped the carcass in their backyard. Those appear to mostly be metro areas (Texas anyway) where any remaining parts where most likely put into waste containers. Not saying a couple did though.

I don't see any points in central or west texas. How did those deer get it??? (sarcasm)

Good info, bad message.
                  He actually made a great point. Many Texans hunt New Mexico for elk and mule deer every year. Guess what not a single one of those animals are tested for CWD before they are brought back into Texas. So depending on what each processor and taxidermist do with scrap parts you could we might have a problem on our hands. Let's also not neglect the fact that the Hill Country holds an abnormal amount t of exotics that are possible carriers.

Comment

Just read the full article. Great info. Scary.

Comment

Originally posted by DTala View Post
                      CWD travels just like you and I do...by truck.
                      Lol, maybe in a cooler in the bed of a truck.
                      I been telling ya'll all along.
                      SMH!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bukkskin View Post
                        Lol, maybe in a cooler in the bed of a truck.
                        I been telling ya'll all along.
                        SMH!!!
                        there has not been a single proven instance of CWD being transmitted to healthy deer by disposing of infected spin/brain/etc. So far it is just another theory.

on the other hand there have been dozens of documented cases of CWD being spread by importing infected deer BY TRUCK into healthy herds.

Comment

If CWD was named something else, nobody would even talk about it.

Comment

A lot of the deer killed up there are In preserves, hunters who shoot 300” plus Deer don’t bring meat back with them. A lot fly to hunt so Taxidermy work is done locally or cap is frozen and sent to hunters taxidermist. I am good friends with the owner of a preserve in Wisconsin and go up to hunt each year. Cwd didn’t get brought down from Wisconsin.

Comment

We transport deer back from Texas to LA, and thought for a second about being stopped in LA for a deer meat inspection. But there are too many vehicles on the road. All you have to do to blend in on the road, is not wear camo, and don't have your ice chest where it can be easily seen.

Our ranch manager gave us a 'certified' certificate verifying the game we were transporting. So, we didn't need to travel with the dear heads....strange isn't it. For the antlers, it was ok to cut them off the skull. The main thing with the antlers is that you had to remove the brain and the spine to be in CWD compliance for transport.

Comment

Working...
                              X