No announcement yet.

Best steak cut. You're probably wrong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any pick is ribeye usually. Prefer too cook at home usually aim for medium rare. I honestly don't order steaks at most places anymore because I've been disappointed on a steak that isn't good also learned to order rare to get medium rare because if I order what I want it's overcooked (talking a normal sit down restaurant not a nice steak house). Now if I'm at a nicer restaurant I'll order a steak unfortunately those are usually $50 and up. I like Perry, Vic's, ruths etc. I can't reproduce what they do at home but think I'm just bit buying the right meat.They know how to cook them and if you look at the selection of meat the quality is very visible as well as aged. Worth the money every time to me. Usually order rare at a place like that

Comment

Originally posted by Austin View Post
      Have not found a better steak than one I can cook at home. I like ribeyes and filets equally depending on what I am in the mood for. If you are going to cut the fat off a ribeye you are giving up the flavor. Filets are tender and juicy as well.

What I will say is be it a sirloin, ribeye, or filet if it is cooked past medium rare it is over cooked
      What ever cut of steak, if it is a grass fed Angus/Wagyu cross beef that is hung and aged for a good time and then packaged it will beat anything in a restaurant or one you can buy in a store and you cook it to your likes!
      Picking up a side of Angus/Wagyu grass fed cross the last of May!

Comment

Find it hard to beat filet at home, rubbed with Fiesta Steak seasoning, noted above, plus coarse ground pepper, and will add some olive oil and Lea and Perrins Worcestershire sauce in a brief marinade (15 minutes). Grill hot rare to medium rare, let rest for 3 minutes. Sirloin is tasty done this same way, but less reliable from a gristle standpoint -- also less tender.

Usually don't bother to try steak in restaurants because it doesn't match what I can do at home except for very high-end places like Perry's or Austin Land and Cattle.

Comment

My Wife likes filets. I like rib-eyes. I just do not care for the taste of filets as much as I do a good rib-eye.

Comment

Efren, I grew up in San Antonio and my whole young life I was told the same thing about worms in under cooked steak so I too always ordered WELL done
            But now I’m into Medium, bone in Ribeyes, Montreal steak shake on em

Comment

Ribeyes or Porterhouse

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                Bone-in Ribeye.....Kosher Salt/coarse black pepper or Barnacle Dust .......medium-rare over mesquite coals.

Filet is for women with a small appetite..
                Son, your killing me. My wife was trying to show me her new shoes and read this post and busted out laughing. Dang she got mad and was a taking them shoes back to the stoe.

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
                  Find it hard to beat filet at home, rubbed with Fiesta Steak seasoning, noted above, plus coarse ground pepper, and will add some olive oil and Lea and Perrins Worcestershire sauce in a brief marinade (15 minutes). Grill hot rare to medium rare, let rest for 3 minutes. Sirloin is tasty done this same way, but less reliable from a gristle standpoint -- also less tender.

Usually don't bother to try steak in restaurants because it doesn't match what I can do at home except for very high-end places like Perry's or Austin Land and Cattle.

If you put Worcestershire sauce on a good steak at anytime, you don't get to make that 2nd statement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                    If you put Worcestershire sauce on a good steak at anytime, you don't get to make that 2nd statement.

Somewhat fair criticism, but only use a little, which oil dilutes. Feel it compliments meat flavor in small doses with a little sweetness and color in addition to acting as a binder for the dry rub and pepper.

Each their own.

Comment

Pittsburg rare for me (chared on the outside, still purple in the middle) with salt, pepper, and garlic powered on a fatty ribeye all day long. My favorite steak

Comment

Originally posted by lab man View Post
                        My favorite is a Porterhouse. You get both the New York strip and fillet in one steak.
                        "Usually don't bother to try steak in restaurants because it doesn't match what I can do at home."

Yep--and t-bone as well. Wife gets the filet and I get the strip. No more than medium rare though.
                        Last edited by dustoffer; 04-22-2018, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Be careful when you wife or girlfriend starts "trying something new."

Comment

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post
                            My brother-in-law, who is a chef at a high-end steakhouse, goes to the table when a well-done steak is ordered. He explains that he prefers not to prepare steaks well-done because it does not allow him to highlight the quality of their beef, and highly recommends medium-well unless the guest has dietary restrictions. He says many well-done steak orders are sent back because they’re tough (well no ****?).

New York strip, top sirloin, or a filet for me please, medium-rare.
                            Curious where your BIN works. I’d love to pay him a visit!

Comment

Originally posted by SCREAMINREELS View Post
                              I honestly don't order steaks at most places anymore because I've been disappointed on a steak that isn't good also learned to order rare to get medium rare because if I order what I want it's overcooked (talking a normal sit down restaurant not a nice steak house).
                              This bugs the hell outa me. And I’ve had it happen in nice steakhouses too. Seems to happen more often when the rest of the table orders more welldone steaks. At Taste of Texas once the whole table ordered medium+ except my wife and I. She asked for medium rare and I went rare. Both our steaks came close to medium.

Had it happen at other nice steakhouses too.

Comment

Ribeye, medium rare from Perini’s or Beehive in Abilene. KC medium rare from Lowake!

Comment

Working...
                                X