question to the roofing guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by breadman View Post
    so why am I told that it cant be quoted without seeing the insurance papers ? two have done this and one said he would have to get back to me, but haven't heard form him in over two weeks . just wondering.
    I done a few roofs for my friends. One reason I think they want to look at the insurance paperwork is because if I go measure it and it’s 45 squares and it turns out to be 47 squares it’s on me. With the insurance takeoff it’s easier and faster to calculate the bid. Then when you’re short 2 squares of shingles it’s easier to get a supplemental claim from the insurance company.

One other thing you can do is go to a roofing supply company and ask them if they know any labor crews. If they don’t wait around and you will find one. Ask the guy for a material quote then add $65 per square for labor. Most of them charge $50-$65 per square tear off, install and haul away. You supply all materials.

Comment

If a roofer will not give you a quote without seeing your insurance paperwork he probably doesn’t know how to measure, scope and price your job. I would call another company. Your job in this process is to interview contractors and hire the one who you think you can trust and will do the best job. If you select an honest and experienced contractor, then 9 times out of 10 it’s going to cost you the same amount no matter who you choose, which is your deductible. Not all roofers are bad. Do your research and select the one who is the best fit for your project.

Jon Parish
      Lon Smith Roofing

Comment

As others have stated.
        If the roofer only wants to work off of the insurance appraisal, one or two things apply. They either don’t know how to bid a roof and are nothing more than a p***poor salesman and/or they know that they can reroof your house for less than what the insurance adjusters are paying and want to pocket that additional money. I’ve actually heard a roofer say that is his money.... I have seen both of these in several instances and it really makes me angry to see people done this way.
        Any reputable roofing company that is worth a salt will have no problem coming out and giving you a bid without seeing your insurance appraisal, if a company won’t, tell them to pound sand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've had customers give me their "line items" from the adjusters report and "white out" all the pricing. They just wanted an apples to apples price for comparison. Make sure the scope of the work covered in their bid lines up with the scope of work covered in the insurance adjusters report. That's the only way to get a true comparison IMO.
          Last edited by Jesus is Coming; 04-19-2018, 07:18 AM.

Comment

I don't mind giving a price. Most of the time I find out later I'm lower than insurance.
            Do you think my clients gave the extra back, to the insurance company? Lol

I build quality roofs ,ice/water shield in all valleys, hand nailed, 6 nails per shingle etc. A way better roof than most.
            My job always ends with a referral, but it never ends with a customer paying more than what I asked for.

Then on jobs with water leaks pipes, flood etc/ interior damage the insurance companies exactajoke program is low a bout 50% of the time. It's horrible to try to get them to come up.
            The program gives you basically 10% to manage the job, they call it overhead. Can you hire a foreman to run a job for 3 weeks, buy him a truck, pay his gas, pay the secretary, pay general liability and all other overhead for the $4000 they give you on a 40k job?Not to mention none of our subs work cheap when work is abundant.

I dislike the whole insurance game .Much prefer to just give a client a price and go to work.

Maybe that will make the situation as clear as muddy water for you lol

Comment

A reputable, local company is the ONLY way to go.
              We had a roof replacement and 9 months later, a tornado. Found some decking damage that was not completely replaced on the original roof (access limitations). Called the roofer back, 9 months later, and they were able to make the repair at no charge.
              Find your fly by night guy to do some follow up 9 months later.
              Also, our salesman gave us options on upgrades that the insurance bid was not listing. These ended up costing us very little cash out of pocket. (Shingle upgrade is not a lot of $$$).
              Our house had a newer roof when we moved in. It was a very poor install and you could tell it was the lowest bidder. I always hated looking at it. But, when done right, with good material, it is a world of difference...AND, no leaks [emoji3].

oh look...what is that?

Comment

so why am I told that it cant be quoted without seeing the insurance papers ? two have done this and one said he would have to get back to me, but haven't heard form him in over two weeks . just wondering.
                I said our company. I didn't say everyone does things the way we do. Weigh your options with companies, don't just run each one off. If you like what they offer and feel good about your decision, use them rather they see the adjusters report or not. Ask for locals as references who have used their company. Independent research. I can't stress that enough. My favorite customers are the ones that call me back. They have done their own research and made their mind up. We ask 1 thing of our customers, pay the deductible because we are not doing shady business, nor cutting corners on your home.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Btw a decent roofer will know your scope price within $100. Your not hiding anything from them. Have a roofer do the leg work for you. Insurance companies have a float. They will try and keep your money as long as possible. A good roofer will bug them to death to have that money release. That's better than having a lien or angry crew leader knocking on your front door.

Your trying to save money but in the long road your just adding a layer of frustration on a insurance claim that suxs to be dealing with.

Comment

Lon Smith trying to slide up in here with some advice.....

meanwhile ..... class action suit time

Contractors acting as public adjusters illegally could face class action lawsuits, according to a new decision by a Texas appeals court. The finding could

Comment

So they are wanting to see your actual homeowners policy or they are wanting to see the damage appraisal from the adjuster?

Comment

You realize that prices change so much after a storm. Shingle price can double and labor rates depending on the the area will double over night. At that point as a home owner are you going to battle with the insurance company. Public adjustor will charge 10-20% to battle for you if your ok with that.

If you read the fine print on these claims Your not going to be happy as a home owner..

I am not a roofer but have been a adjustor back in the day.

I enjoy not working with home owners anymore.

Comment

They want to see the scope and also make sure your deductible isn't 10k. Adjustor will overlook components all the time. Like chimney caps, drip edge ECT.

You will be surprised that a chit ton of policies have adjusted over the years so that your deductible will not cover the cost of the roof. Espcially up north around Dallas.

So your paying out of pocket and you should wait until gas is cheap and pray for labor prices to come down. Most times it will take 3 years after a good storm.

Work with a guy that's profesional and be happy after everything is done.

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                            Lon Smith trying to slide up in here with some advice.....

meanwhile ..... class action suit time

https://www.claimsjournal.com/news/s.../08/279884.htm
                            lol

Comment

ok fellas thanks for all of your comments, input, thoughts, wisdom , and experiences . what I`ve learned from this thread is to find a real , decent , local, and reliable roofing company give them a call and tell them I DONT HAVE INSURANCE and get a cash price , pay for a roof then get back to my life with out all this BS . sounds simple enough. thanks again fellas , I'm done here.

Comment

ok fellas thanks for all of your comments, input, thoughts, wisdom , and experiences . what I`ve learned from this thread is to find a real , decent , local, and reliable roofing company give them a call and tell them I DONT HAVE INSURANCE and get a cash price , pay for a roof then get back to my life with out all this BS . sounds simple enough. thanks again fellas , I'm done here.
                                quitter

Best luck getting your new roof and home put back together. Been there done that and it ain't much fun.

Comment

Working...
                                X