Need a new South Padre guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bonehunts View Post
    I’ve also gone out of Laguna Vista. Hoping someone on here has a jewel up their sleeve...
    Freddy Petty or Janie Petty fish out of Laguna Vista.

Comment

Skipper Mock 512-761-2303 South Padre Island Home 512-233-9831
      He was working out of Fisherman's Lodge

Comment

Give Capt Clint smith a call ! Tell him Gordon sent ya , you won't be disappointed ! 512!-804-8589

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by gemini2759 View Post
          This is who I would use if Laguna Vista is not out of the way...good people & so much nicer launching from the mainland.

I've fished with Mock off the island as well...he's good.

Comment

This guy came highly recommended and he did not disappoint. Worked his tail off and got us our limits or trout and there were 5 of us.

Big John's Guide Service

956-266-2101

Comment

In for advice.

FIL has a guy he really liked out of Jims pier. But he is a once or twice a year fisherman so doesn't take much.

I went with them once and wasn't impressed, also didn't get onto hardly any fish.

I had way more success on my own in the kayak.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Ive been down here since the mid 80s. Skipper Mock my number one choice. Vere Wells would be my second choice.
                I went last year and went with Vere Wells. It was my BIL and myself. Wells put us on trout and we limited out and could not find any reds. We went from place to place but only kept finding trout and founder, which is a good problem. we caught a lot of fish. Wells is old school and knows his way around the water. He did not have any electronics on his boat and was going everywhere we needed to get, to try and locate the reds once we limited out on trout. All in all it was a great trip for two adults.

the only negative, which is not so negative is as follows. He was not very personable, I know we were paying him to catch fish, not talk but, still nice to carry on conversation. He liked to smoke and smoked a bit. It did not bother me or my BIL, but if you have children you may want to consider. If I were to go back I would probably find someone else.

I am not knocking him he did what we paid him to do but I would probably try someone else.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I've booked two half days with Mock (for now) and will report back.
                  We will have a few kids fishing so I need to err on the side of "personable" rather than "old school."

Comment

Thanks everyone. I've booked two half days with Mock (for now) and will report back.
                    We will have a few kids fishing so I need to err on the side of "personable" rather than "old school."
                    Good deal. You book with Skipper or Clayton? When you going?

Comment

Originally posted by TexasCanesFan View Post
                      Good deal. You book with Skipper or Clayton? When you going?

Booked with Clayton (should I have booked with Skipper???)
                      I’ll be out with him the Friday/Saturday of Fathers Day weekend.

Comment

Booked with Clayton (should I have booked with Skipper???)
                        I’ll be out with him the Friday/Saturday of Fathers Day weekend.
                        Oh no. Just curious. I think I am going to book with Clayton also.

Comment

Mike Knox with blast to cast is great he got us on fish and we had a good time doing it

Comment

based on reading their articles I have always wanted to fish with them but never have

Comment

I really would like to run out of Port Isabel and not SPI which is my holdup for some of these guides. Grew up staying at the White Sands with my grandparents every year so it is just a special place for me. I remember standing on the cooler at the fish cleaning station so I could watch my grandfather clean fish. Lots of memories there.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                                based on reading their articles I have always wanted to fish with them but never have
                                I have met them both, super nice folks, just never fished with them.

Comment

Working...
                                X