Workplace pressure and problems!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mastercraftka View Post
    Just a slight correction it is not what the administrators want they are following the law.

The people to blame are your legislators both Republican and Democrats!!
    Good point! I apologize if I offended any administrators

Comment

Alternative?

I'm not a huge fan of the STAAR Test but if we're going to be real honest...

The STAAR Test (just as do regular subject matter tests) teaches kids about failure. There are a lot of kids who did just that today.

If the teacher is teaching the subject matter, guess what. They're teaching to the test. As long as they cover the material, the kids will learn (or at least have the opportunity to learn) what they need to know for the STAAR Test.

Unfortunately as I've seen over my many years in education, there are some teachers who, when teaching a subject or grade level that's not tested aren't real concerned as to whether or not the students learn the material they've been contracted to teach. Way too many kids are passed despite an atrocious lack of subject-matter knowledge because of the pressure placed on teachers regarding failure rates. This is not as big a problem for those grades/subjects that are tested.

Finally, in some of these subjects, the minimum score to pass is ridiculous. For example, a student can pass the STAAR Algebra test with less than 50% correct.

So with that in mind, what's a better way to at least attempt to hold the teachers/schools accountable?

Comment

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
        I'm not a huge fan of the STAAR Test but if we're going to be real honest...

The STAAR Test (just as do regular subject matter tests) teaches kids about failure. There are a lot of kids who did just that today.

If the teacher is teaching the subject matter, guess what. They're teaching to the test. As long as they cover the material, the kids will learn (or at least have the opportunity to learn) what they need to know for the STAAR Test.

Unfortunately as I've seen over my many years in education, there are some teachers who, when teaching a subject or grade level that's not tested aren't real concerned as to whether or not the students learn the material they've been contracted to teach. Way too many kids are passed despite an atrocious lack of subject-matter knowledge because of the pressure placed on teachers regarding failure rates. This is not as big a problem for those grades/subjects that are tested.

Finally, in some of these subjects, the minimum score to pass is ridiculous. For example, a student can pass the STAAR Algebra test with less than 50% correct.

So with that in mind, what's a better way to at least attempt to hold the teachers/schools accountable?
        I'll ask the question, "what was so wrong with the way we were taught back when we were in school?" For me that was the 80s and 90s. What was so wrong back then that everything needed to change? I say the better way is the old way.

Comment

For those of us that do not have school age kids.... what is the big deal with this test? Are there things tested on it that are not part of the normal curriculum that a school would have anyway? If they weren't "teaching for the test", what would change? I did a quick google search, found some sample test questions and they all seem like very good things to be learning and tested on. How do you hold schools and teachers accountable if there are not standardized tests? Is it that the test are too hard for average kids? What am I missing?

sample questions I found from 3rd grade test..

Click image for larger version

Name:	test sample 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	24535791

Name:	test sample 2.JPG
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	24535792

Name:	test sample 3.JPG
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	24535793
          Last edited by duckmanep; 04-10-2018, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
            For those of us that do not have school age kids.... what is the big deal with this test? Are there things tested on it that are not part of the normal curriculum that a school would have anyway? If they weren't "teaching for the test", what would change? I did a quick google search, found some sample test questions and they all seem like very good things to be learning and tested on. How do you hold schools and teachers accountable if there are not standardized tests? Is it that the test are too hard for average kids? What am I missing?

sample questions I found from 3rd grade test..

[ATTACH]904186[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]904187[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]904188[/ATTACH]
            Honestly if you have not been part of this , you would not understand and it would take a lot to explain. Pure and simple, too much is given to the STAAR test for students and teachers and when you give a test and screw up as a teacher (your fault or no fault of your own) that could get you fired, loose your certification or get a jail sentence, then tell me another job that puts this much pressure on a person for giving a test.

Simple solution. Every school in TX teaches according to the TEKS. All give 6 weeks assessment tests that are identical across the test like the STAAR, so why not use these as a barometer of how these kids are doing. Not near the pressure and you will get a more viable indication of how the student is doing during the year.

OH, I forgot, that would take $90 million out of somebodies pocket and take the ego driven, greedy former administrators and superintendents out of the money making grab that are the STAAR tests.

Nuff said, I am done, but still have 3 days this week of testing (extra time and extra days for some) and more in May!

I dare anyone to find someone in the Texas elementary, middle or high school education field that likes these tests!

Comment

I was told yesterday that my dislexic daughter will not be allowed to transfer to the middle school that her older brother attends unless she passes the STAAR tests today and tomorrow. My wife is an special educator and that statement alone was almost enough to make her quit. This test and the funding that is now associated with it is what education has become now.

Comment

Originally posted by talltexasshoote View Post
                I was told yesterday that my dislexic daughter will not be allowed to transfer to the middle school that her older brother attends unless she passes the STAAR tests today and tomorrow. My wife is an special educator and that statement alone was almost enough to make her quit. This test and the funding that is now associated with it is what education has become now.
                I call BS. She could take the test up to 3 times with special instruction between tests #1, #2 and possibly #3. I think someone is trying to blindside you.
                Our kids do not pass then they get and IPI or API depending on other factors, get to take the test up to 3 times and possibly take summer school, but to me that is BS. I may be wrong but I hope not. 5th and 8th graders face this due to changing from elementary to middle or middle to high school.

Still a CROCK OF ****!

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                  I call BS. She could take the test up to 3 times with special instruction between tests #1, #2 and possibly #3. I think someone is trying to blindside you.
                  Our kids do not pass then they get and IPI or API depending on other factors, get to take the test up to 3 times and possibly take summer school, but to me that is BS. I may be wrong but I hope not. 5th and 8th graders face this due to changing from elementary to middle or middle to high school.

Still a CROCK OF ****!
                  Pm me and I’ll fill you in on the whole story including the LISD educators and administrators involved. I have options, but all would lead to bad situations for both my kids.

Comment

I opted my kids out of taking it. It is an option.

Comment

Originally posted by talltexasshoote View Post

And there's the problem. But for some reason people can't see it.

My wife and nearly every teacher I know says 2 things. There are not near enough special ed teachers/support. And since their hands are tied from disciplining or getting removed from the class the 20-40% of the class that has zero home support are super rowdy, disruptive, and sometimes dangerous, yet the teachers have to spend most of their time with these kids to get them to pass. So the smart (for lack of better word) kids just sit around doing whatever and are not even taught much. It's like what was mentioned in one of the first posts..teaching is for the lowest denominator.

Comment

Wife retired after the 2016 school year after teaching for 32 dedicated years, loving it except for Texas's LOUSEY insurance program!! Don't know how long some of you have taught, but listening to my wife's comments about the STAR tests "and just about everything else," my comment is it seems to all be based on $$ the ISD'S get from the Feds and State?

Nah....could never be based on money??

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
                          It’s a crappy way to help prevent:

1. Schools from allowing students to advance if they have not mastered a minimum level of education for that age
                          2. Schools from sliding in teaching quality without going unnoticed

I just tell my kids that this test is for the kids who are struggling. It isn’t anything you haven’t been taught, no tricks and no hard questions. Take it seriously but don’t worry, this test ain’t for kids like you.

It doesn’t do jack for preventing schools from advancing students that should not be advanced. I drive a school bus and a couple of years ago at the end of the year I was cleaning my bus and came across an end of the year report card for one of my 8th grade students. Her best yearly score in one of her classes was a 58. At the bottom of the report card it said “***XX ****** has advanced to the 9th grade”.

The tests are a way that districts get funded, and if you are teacher that had a bad class this year then your job could be in jeopardy and there is nothing you can do about it.

Comment

Ohh, and a school district employee can be physically attacked by a student and there is nothing that the employee can do. How many other jobs put you in that same situation?

And yes, even the little kids can seriously hurt you. A few years ago a 1st grade kid broke his teachers arm. My wife could not wait until she got out of that school.

Comment

Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post
                              Some of you would have failed the spelling portion of the test. Lol ��
                              They would definitely loose the spelling bee.

Comment

Somebody is making a bunch of money off that test. It is terrible. Glad my kids are past that. They did just fine but as a Family we certainly do not agree with this type of implementation.

Comment

Working...
                                X