Workplace pressure and problems!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
    Had to fix one word for you. I bet every single teacher has at least one disruptive kid in their class that they can do nothing about. Talking about elementary school here.
    I have 16 kids in my behavior unit with 1 in Kindergarden, 1 in 1st, 1 in 2nd, 4 in 3rd, 4 in 4th and 4 in 5th, and this is just my kids, not the other kids that are a 504, Tier 1 or Tier 2 kid.

YES we have severe behavior problems and for those that think teachers put too much pressure on themselves and students because of the STAAR testing, you are sadly mistaken and it shows that you are, nor ever have been a teacher. The pressure comes from TEA, District Admin and School Admin.

Comment

Workplace pressure and problems!

Man I feel for you teachers and to some extent administrators. The end goal is to perform well on standardized tests and pass as many students as possible no matter what it takes.

We have fought with schools through our kids school lives begging them to grade as it is and let the chips all where they may.

Their hands are tied. They have to use every option available (including some questionable ones IMO) to make sure students don’t fail.

Some kids need to fail from time to time to give them a dose of reality. They are turning out kids that are not held accountable and will be in for a rude awakening in the real world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
        Good point! I apologize if I offended any administrators
        Thank you sir not offended at all just need the credit to go where it belongs.

ha lol

Comment

I think it's a waste of time just like most of y'all do.When I was in school we were taking the TAAS, which changed to TAKS test when I as in not the STAAR yet but it was a waste as well if you weren't in the advanced classes the teachers only taught a way to pass that dumb test instead of thinking outside the box and the skills that would actually prepare you for college or a career after school. Most kids I was around breezed through that test and would benefit greatly from teaching that wasn't geared towards it.
          Last edited by SCREAMINREELS; 04-11-2018, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
            I have a kid in the 7th grade and am about to turn 40 and went through Texas public school myself.

I understand the whole argument against "common core" crap and the "need" to change how they teach something, or that all students have to learn 10 different ways to add so they cover all the bases. That one boggles my mind.

What I don't understand is all the angst about standardized testing. STARR or the concept isn't anything new folks. It was TAKs and TEKs and all that jazz back in the day. I don't remember there being a huge "uggh" about it other than it was just annoying. What exactly is wrong with having checkpoints to see if your kid needs additional help in the next grade?

If teachers are stressing over it... they are doing so at a disservice to their students. Just my opinion. My teachers back in the day never stressed out about administering tests... they just coached us how to get through it. There are plenty of things I learned from having to go into a setting and I'm either going to "pass" or "fail"... you know, like a job interview... or a speaking engagement in front of customers, etc. Dealing with stress is a "life skill" too!

I could be mistaken, but I don't believe back then those test had nearly as much effect on a teacher's career as it does now days. I personally don't have a problem with standardized test, I'm fine with it. I just think the weight of the world shouldn't be put on it. It is a measuring stick for the kids. Good teachers will always rise to the top and bad ones will sink. You don't need a test to tell you that. But, then again, the admin is messed up. My son had a really good teacher one year. All the students really liked him and my son learned a lot and really enjoyed his class. The principal decided she didn't want to renew his contract, despite parent protest. Maybe it was because his test scores weren't good enough??? who knows, but the system is definitely broken as it does not have the children's best interest in mind. This test is proof. Its not about the kids, its about the teachers, school and district. Wrong, wrong and wrong. Phew, I feel better now

Comment

Hang in there amigo

Comment

U r making a difference i kid at a time

Comment

Got to get 20 posts to get od gog tracking list

Comment

What does nubbin buck mean?

Comment

Originally posted by stisdale View Post
                      What does nubbin buck mean?
                      Just joined and not enough post to reach a spike or bigger!

Comment

Thank you to all that gave me Kudos for doing what I do. Still at it this year and hopefully making a difference in my kids lives.
                        Sure wish I had some parents like most parents on here. Would make my job easier or possibly obsolete!

Comment

Working...
                        X