Originally posted by quackadikt View Post
    That bull with the knobs looks awesome!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Thanks man. It was an older bull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We struck out as well this year

Comment

I got drawn and will be hunting big muleys again for the second time.

In all honesty it was a guaranteed/landowner type tag but it was sure nice seeing that confirmation email come through for the state of NM!

Below is the 180” non-typical I got last time I was there. He would have gone close to 190” if he didn’t break a time. Anyway I am excited to hunt the ranch again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Got drawn for mule deer again, so we are 3 for 3. No NM elk though so back to CO OTC.

Comment

I just got a email from the New Mexico Department of Game & Fish. I drew a first rifle bull elk tag in unit 2 for October 15-19, hunt code: ELK-1-103.

Comment

No draw for Gila elk w/outfitter
              and no draw on muledeer - NR.

Oh well, looks like we will spend about 12 days OTC in Colorado. Not a bad plan B.

Congrats to all who drew. I will be looking for some reports from you guys this year.

Comment

I was hoping all of yall would draw elk so the OTC woods in Colorado would be empty

Comment

Originally posted by NoFence View Post
                  I was hoping all of yall would draw elk so the OTC woods in Colorado would be empty
                  Fat chance of that happening. Probably more hunters/yahoos now with the Born and Raised guys making it look easy.

Comment

For anyone that has archery hunted elk the early season Sept 1-14 what 7 days would you pick. Sept 1-7 or Sept 7-14. I would love to get into rut. Will they be calling the week of Sept 7-14? thanks
                    Last edited by armadillophil; 04-19-2018, 08:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by armadillophil View Post
                      For anyone that has archery hunted the early season Sept 1-14 what 7 days would you pick. Sept 1-7 or Sept 7-14. I would love to get into rut. Will they be calling the week of Sept 7-14? thanks
                      Your not going to see any rut in Sept.

I'm sorry, your probably talking elk. I'd probably wait until the second week
                      Last edited by flywise; 04-19-2018, 07:47 AM.

Comment

No luck for antelope here. Guess I can put that money on another hunt.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                          Your not going to see any rut in Sept.
                          http://aces.nmsu.edu/pubs/_l/L301.pdf
                          I think he is hunting elk. I would do 7-14.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamesl View Post
                            I think he is hunting elk. I would do 7-14.
                            Yeah, I changed my reply....I had mule deer on my brain this morning.

Comment

Drew Elk Unit 21A early archery! Second year applying for NM. I would love to talk to anyone that has been there! Now it's time to go workout then shoot my bow!
                              Last edited by Hockley; 04-19-2018, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockley View Post
                                Drew Unit 21A early archery! Second year applying for NM. I would love to talk to anyone that has been there! Now it's time to go workout then shoot my bow!
                                Thick country, and can be pretty rugged(look at topo maps). Do as much Google Earth scouting as you can, looking for water off the beaten path. It'll probably be hot, and it's supposed to be a dry monsoon season.

Comment

Working...
                                X