No announcement yet.

Is Sitka hear worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah those animals in Alaska get closer to u if ur wearing real expensive camo, they're smarter up there. Gimme a break.

Comment

Kinda like workin in an office and driving an F350 jacked up diesel. Pulling a crew cab mule on a huge trailer to use at a paved road lease. To each their own

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
        That is pretty typical
        I've hunted Colorado or NM 27 years and my regular old academy and Wal-Mart stuff worked just fine.
        L
        But if a fella believes in the good stuff.....go with it
        Sure it is in Alaska........never rains there....

Well I’ve been hunting about same time frame, you could wear brooks brothers if you are hunting from the truck. Any thing works great when you have a heater in a truck to dry cotton out.

I’ll wear synthetics that I can dry out in a sleeping bag

Comment

Always going to be haters. It has its place and it’s top quality gear. I would love to see some of these guys take thier 20lbs Texas clothing on a mountain hunt.

If you are saying it’s crap, include a hunting post above 10000 ft with your gear.

Comment

Bought a KUIU jacket this winter and it is by far the most I've spent on a piece of camo. Gotta say it's the best jacket I've ever owned and well worth the money. I'm sure Sitka is in the same ballpark, but I wish I had the stuff a long time ago!

Comment

Here ya go. Opening day, left out at 10,700. I'm not saying it's crap, just doesn't interest me. Merino for long johns, wool socks, valandre sleeping bag, goretex bivy, arcteryx hardshells for rain gear. I'll go toe to toe with anybody on the greenscreen, in the mountains, with a pack for up to 13 days straight. I've hunted in everystate, out west, since the age of 14. Covered 1000's of miles on foot, on mules. The amount of nice camo I destroyed as a kid, is ridiculous. If you really do spend all day moving, across a mountain, stepping over black timber, sliding down hills, dirt, and slides, tearing through different types of undergrowth, etc...this stuff wears out pretty quick, in my expierance. I do believe in good gear though, have alot of it. For a outer layer, I want canvas pants, and a tough jacket. My only other outer layer would be my hardshells, and I've found nothing tougher than the big A. I prefer browns and blacks over camo anyway. Alot of people really walk all day in the mountains, some just think they do. No reflection on you or anyone else, but walking all day at altitude, in a hunting situation, has way more to do with the shape your in, than what your wearing. Your clothes might account for a extra 100ft over the course of the day, unless you're and elite athelete, scaling Everest, or you are wearing rigging or some type. I'm not saying the gear isn't good, but I'll wear these thick *** pants, and my bulky jacket (doubles for a awesome pillow) and I'll never say a word when you finally catch up
              Attached Files

Comment

Arcteryx is top notch gear. I think that was the question the OP asked. Is spending money on good gear worth it. I have never used Sitka but I do own some Arcteryx and it is good stuff. Wool and goretex is what I recommend.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                  Here ya go. Opening day, left out at 10,700. I'm not saying it's crap, just doesn't interest me. Merino for long johns, wool socks, valandre sleeping bag, goretex bivy, arcteryx hardshells for rain gear. I'll go toe to toe with anybody on the greenscreen, in the mountains, with a pack for up to 13 days straight. I've hunted in everystate, out west, since the age of 14. Covered 1000's of miles on foot, on mules. The amount of nice camo I destroyed as a kid, is ridiculous. If you really do spend all day moving, across a mountain, stepping over black timber, sliding down hills, dirt, and slides, tearing through different types of undergrowth, etc...this stuff wears out pretty quick, in my expierance. I do believe in good gear though, have alot of it. For a outer layer, I want canvas pants, and a tough jacket. My only other outer layer would be my hardshells, and I've found nothing tougher than the big A. I prefer browns and blacks over camo anyway. Alot of people really walk all day in the mountains, some just think they do. No reflection on you or anyone else, but walking all day at altitude, in a hunting situation, has way more to do with the shape your in, than what your wearing. Your clothes might account for a extra 100ft over the course of the day, unless you're and elite athelete, scaling Everest, or you are wearing rigging or some type. I'm not saying the gear isn't good, but I'll wear these thick *** pants, and my bulky jacket (doubles for a awesome pillow) and I'll never say a word when you finally catch up
                  Arc’teryx is hard core mountain/rain gear. It’s better than Sitka, IMO. I also wear first lite merino long Johns that I got on sale for $25 for both the tops and bottoms. I’ve worn them in Africa and 14k feet Ibex hunting. I don’t think anyone is saying Sitka is the only gear, and i think it is overpriced compared to other quality mountain sports gear, but saying it’s crap (as others have said) is ridiculous. Camofire makes it worth the price IMO. If you plan to hunt Texas and buy any mountain gear, you are overspending. I won’t say I’m a great mountain hunter, but I will say the gear helps.

Comment

Originally posted by thegrouse View Post
                    Arcteryx is top notch gear. I think that was the question the OP asked. Is spending money on good gear worth it. I have never used Sitka but I do own some Arcteryx and it is good stuff. Wool and goretex is what I recommend.
                    I do not own any either. I have owned, and do own a ton of clothing geared toward hiking, climbing, backpacking. Alot of it I have used over the years, for hunting, and destroyed most of it. I like stuff, that can hang with me, and I've found what what works for me. Everyone hunts differently, and I do a lot of crazy stuff. I guess, if it's built top notch, and works for your situation, it's worth it.
                    I'm speaking strictly, expensive, overhyped, camo outershells. Not worth it imo.

Comment

I do not own any either. I have owned, and do own a ton of clothing geared toward hiking, climbing, backpacking. Alot of it I have used over the years, for hunting, and destroyed most of it. I like stuff, that can hang with me, and I've found what what works for me. Everyone hunts differently, and I do a lot of crazy stuff. I guess, if it's built top notch, and works for your situation, it's worth it.
                      I'm speaking strictly, expensive, overhyped, camo outershells. Not worth it imo.
                      You are just too cool for school.

I will say that a boat based Alaska hunt (per the OP) is usually pretty mild. All you need is a good rainproof outer shell. My Dad wore frog togs lol. The hunt was great though. We all shot bear, caught a ton fish and made memories that last a lifetime.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
                        You are just too cool for school.

I will say that a boat based Alaska hunt (per the OP) is usually pretty mild. All you need is a good rainproof outer shell. My Dad wore frog togs lol. The hunt was great though. We all shot bear, caught a ton fish and made memories that last a lifetime.
                        For sure . Some of your ancestors were probably up there without rain gear, just tough. Goretex and the spaceshuttle weren't even a idea.
                        The further man comes out of the wild, the more he requires to return to the wild .

Comment

For sure . Some of your ancestors were probably up there without rain gear, just tough. Goretex and the spaceshuttle weren't even a idea.
                          The further man comes out of the wild, the more he requires to return to the wild .
                          Give me a break. My ancestors weren’t mountain hunters. They hunted the plains and game was plentiful. Worst they had to worry about was dying at 40. ;D

Comment

Legit story... In Kyrgyzstan at 12000 ft a dude bails off a horse to do some scouting. He is wearing just plain old rubber boots and wool. This was at around 4:00am with only the moon as a light source reflecting off the fresh snow. We kept going and around 4:00pm that afternoon we meet up a long, long ways away. He had hiked the peaks and valleys looking for Ibex. All day. In old rubber boots, random clothing and a cigarette on his lips. Unbelievable for a flat lander like myself.

Comment

Is Sitka hear worth it?

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
                              Legit story... In Kyrgyzstan at 12000 ft a dude bails off a horse to do some scouting. He is wearing just plain old rubber boots and wool. This was at around 4:00am with only the moon as a light source reflecting off the fresh snow. We kept going and around 4:00pm that afternoon we meet up a long, long ways away. He had hiked the peaks and valleys looking for Ibex. All day. In old rubber boots, random clothing and a cigarette on his lips. Unbelievable for a flat lander like myself.

Just think, if he would have been wearing Sitka he could have probably shown back up at camp with a keg on his back, a 1/4 of hydro, and Stormy Daniels ready to rock.

My dad takes guys out every year in Colorado and he gets a good laugh out of the crap they all bring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Last edited by 175gr7.62; 04-07-2018, 11:36 PM.

Comment

Lmao of course you would it’s same stuff Sitka, firstlite, kuiu and cabelas is marking but in solid colors, at **** near same MSRP prices or more. It’s Same merino, same waterproof breathable, same DWR etc..

You can talk about extra feet traveled but really the weight is minimal because the bulk of your pack isn’t clothes, it’s food and sleep system. The real benefit of high end clothing regardless of mfg is it’s ability to keep You alive, with much less knowledge or effort when you have to bundle up in a sleeping bag and dry out after you went from rain you to ice to snow in an a 3 hour period.

Way to help people make educated decisions though
                                Last edited by Texans42; 04-08-2018, 01:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X