The Official Scotch Whiskey Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TX_Kevin View Post
    Since I went back to Scotch, for some silly reason I started drinking it neat in a Glencairn whiskey glass. Everything changed for me at that point. Now I no longer like the easy, light feeling of the Spey's and Highland's, now I want to peatiest and smokiest I can find. Right now I am stuck on Laphroaig 10. I love that stuff.

Anyone have any other recommendations for stuff that is as good as Laphroaig 10?

Lag16 and if you can find a bottle lag16 Nick Offerman edition finished in Guinness cask. Both are amazing.

Comment

Since I went back to Scotch, for some silly reason I started drinking it neat in a Glencairn whiskey glass. Everything changed for me at that point. Now I no longer like the easy, light feeling of the Spey's and Highland's, now I want to peatiest and smokiest I can find. Right now I am stuck on Laphroaig 10. I love that stuff.

Anyone have any other recommendations for stuff that is as good as Laphroaig 10?
      Ardbeg Uigeadail

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell2.0 View Post
        Lag16 and if you can find a bottle lag16 Nick Offerman edition finished in Guinness cask. Both are amazing.
        Lagavulin 16?

Comment

Lagavulin 16?

Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell2.0 View Post
            Yes
            I drink too much of it to go with the stuff that is over $100/bottle.
            The Laphroiag 10 is under $60.

Comment

I likes me highland whisky. The farther north the better. This week's choice.
              Dalmore is for me. Tulli is for people I like and for me.
              Either one works with a good cigar.
              These two should last me until July 4th and then it's time for some more 14yr Glenmorangie and Tomintoul 14.
              Attached Files

Comment

FYI, I keep a bottle of Cutty Sark for people I don't like and bums.

Comment

I've been on a big bourbon kick this year, but I had a couple of drinks of Scotch recently. My how I missed it! Had a glass of Dalmore 12 last week and then a Balvenie 12 with a cigar yesterday evening. Those are my two current favorite 12 year options.

For Speyside 12 years, Balvenie is at the top for me. I like highland stuff too, as long as it doesn't get too smoky. Dalmore is is very light on the smoke and an easy drinker.

Tried to get into the Islay stuff, but I just can't do it yet. I have a bottle of Ardbeg 10 in the cabinet, and that bottle will likely outlive me unless I can find someone to give it to!

Comment

I'm with you on the peaty island stuff and don't care much for woody stuff from the lowlands either. Some lowland scotch is tolerable as long as the smoke is left out then it becomes almost too light. I just find the highlands to be more flavorful with some sweetness that us that drink it neat prefer. I will drop a craft ice ball in my glass when the weather is hot out. Balvenie double wood is what my brother likes but it's not for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Saltyag15 View Post
                      I've been on a big bourbon kick this year, but I had a couple of drinks of Scotch recently. My how I missed it! Had a glass of Dalmore 12 last week and then a Balvenie 12 with a cigar yesterday evening. Those are my two current favorite 12 year options.

For Speyside 12 years, Balvenie is at the top for me. I like highland stuff too, as long as it doesn't get too smoky. Dalmore is is very light on the smoke and an easy drinker.

Tried to get into the Islay stuff, but I just can't do it yet. I have a bottle of Ardbeg 10 in the cabinet, and that bottle will likely outlive me unless I can find someone to give it to!
                      Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                      I'm with you on the peaty island stuff and don't care much for woody stuff from the lowlands either. Some lowland scotch is tolerable as long as the smoke is left out then it becomes almost too light. I just find the highlands to be more flavorful with some sweetness that us that drink it neat prefer. I will drop a craft ice ball in my glass when the weather is hot out. Balvenie double wood is what my brother likes but it's not for me.
                      Hey, I was right there with you guys until I went neat. That's when the more smoke the better came in. Love them peatey and smokie bad boys now. The more the better.
                      Last edited by TX_Kevin; 06-09-2023, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Santa left me this. 92 proof and 90 rated. Click image for larger version

Name:	20231225_102138.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	224.9 KB
ID:	26675281

Comment

The Glenrothes 12 year old, Talisker Distillers Edition, Ledaig 18 year old, Bowmore 15 (the darkest), lagavulin16 years, and Glenlivet 15, 18 and 21

Comment

The 10 is my 'go-to' Scotch.
                            Currently draining a bottle of Laphroaig Select and it is very good neat.
                            I've had previous bottles of Select which didn't seem all that special, so maybe this blend is different in different years.
                            Bruichladdich Port Charlotte is the smokiest, peatiest Scotch I know.

Comment

Getting my feet wet. The last year I have been drinking Johnny Walker Red as a mixer. I had Glenfiddich 12 and really liked it and bought a bottle of Glefiddich 12 sherry cask which I will open New Years Eve. Many more to try.

Comment

Aberlour is a good speyside single malt scotch whisky. give it a try.

Comment

Working...
                                X