3 months salary ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 months salary ??

I got engaged to my wife March 3rd 2006 and at the time I was making around 60k. I spent $2500 on the engagement setting. There is no way on this earth I would have spent $15,000 dollars on a ring for anyone.

I did however use the $7500 diamond from her previous engagement ring for the setting I bought and she’s still wearing it 10 years later[emoji15].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The bigger the ring, the bigger the....ah never mind.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
        Just don't buy her a set of boobs. Every friend I have that did that ended up paying for them so another guy could enjoy them.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Oh so true! I heard that and saw it with my own co worker.

Comment

Just don't buy her a set of boobs. Every friend I have that did that ended up paying for them so another guy could enjoy them.

Nah they’re still worth the time you get with them

Comment

I knew the style ring my wife wanted and I went out out and bought a ring that I could afford and what I knew we would both like. Hopefully she will be wearing it the rest of her life. I assure you I have far surpassed the cost of her ring with the toys I buy. Go buy what YOU want her to have and something that SHE will like. Dont worry about what everyone else thinks or says.

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
              Nah they’re still worth the time you get with them
              Haha

Comment

i have heard it and think it is stupid,,,,, if the jewelry store said it is all about profit for them... if she said it you may never be able to make her happy....
                i paid 600 for my wife's ring 32 years ago,, and that was on the cheap side then, but i could afford it and she was happy to show it off,,, i got her a big upgrade for our 19th anniversary,,,, she was surprised to say the least,,, if it takes a jewelry to make her happy,,, better think about it long term,,,,,

Comment

This is the reason I didn't pay for her. Ain't paying for toys i can use when I want!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

cheap ring and an exotic hunt for 2????

Comment

If there's no kids sure spend what you want, I spent all my money on my wife's ring. Now that we have children I would never do that and neither would she. also, there are some reputable internet sites besides blue nile that will give you WAY more bang for your buck.

Comment

The "two months salary" or "three months salary" is just marketing nonsense by De Beers. That's the same company who has warehouses full of diamonds in Africa and keeps the supply artificially restricted. There is a documentary or two if you want to go down the rabbit-hole, but the short version is that diamonds, even gem quality diamonds, are actually very common (despite lies the jeweler may tell you). If the free market determined the price, they'd be pretty cheap. But a cartel led by De Beers holds most of the diamonds back from market in order to keep prices high.

If you're interested in getting good bang for your buck, there are a few websites that sell pre-owned diamonds for like half price or less vs what you'd pay retail. A couple of good ones are I Do Now I Don't and Have You Seen The Ring. The quality you can get on those sites is SHOCKING, and will change your opinion of the diamond market once you see it.

There's obviously not any such thing as wear and tear on a diamond (hardest substance on earth, nothing can scratch it except another diamond), and if your gal believes in "bad karma" from a previously owned ring, maybe time to take a second look at her.

Another side benefit of buying a pre-owned ring is that you're not contributing to war and slavery in Africa. All those "conflict free" certificates and stuff can be EASILY forged. Ever see that movie Blood Diamond? That stuff is pretty much real.
                        Last edited by Ryan-in-SA1; 04-03-2018, 07:09 AM.

Comment

Okay - so, that's what I'm saying. I can afford a dang nice ring, and a lot of that is because of how well she does. I have a truck payment ($350) and that's it.

We have a great house, and have lived together for 2 years. Everything is great. I have no debt or anything nagging at me.

So, if you were doing well and are 35, not just starting out. What would you spend on your engagement ring? Yes, she would be happy with whatever I got her, but what would you want to do for her?

Comment

Spend what you can afford and then go buy some arrows lol

Comment

Originally posted by jer_james View Post
                              Okay - so, that's what I'm saying. I can afford a dang nice ring, and a lot of that is because of how well she does. I have a truck payment ($350) and that's it.

We have a great house, and have lived together for 2 years. Everything is great. I have no debt or anything nagging at me.

So, if you were doing well and are 35, not just starting out. What would you spend on your engagement ring? Yes, she would be happy with whatever I got her, but what would you want to do for her?
                              Why ruin a good thing you have by getting married?

Comment

Originally posted by jer_james View Post

Whatever you’re comfortable with whether that’s 2k or 30k. Don’t base it on salary or months salary just figure a good number you’re comfortable with that will get a ring you’re happy with. She will love it either way but I’m not on the upgrade later thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X