2018 saltwater fishing thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
    I haven't lost a fish to a shark since I started using one of these...

[ATTACH]925247[/ATTACH]
    Yes sir we put our inside our net on the stringer. Kinda acts the same way...I'm curious about this shark bucket though.

Comment

Not a slaughter this morning but a nice solo wade. I renamed the flattie Dinner.

Comment

Made a trip with my dad yesterday which I need to make more time for. The worst of the rain went around us only lightly raining a couple of times.

Ended up a decent morning. Caught 25-30 trout and had 4 keepers along with 3 reds around 25-26 inches and a little drum about 15 or so.

A few trout on top the rest on tails.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180920_072146.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	24554539Click image for larger version

Name:	20180920_110529.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	24554540

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

That's a LARGE trout in the box judging it buy the smallest one.

Congrats Phillip.

Comment

Congrats Phillip.

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post

Congrats Phillip.
              She was almost 27". I actually let her go but she just never took off. Didn't hook her real deep but she was going to die. I try to throw those big ones back.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                Not a slaughter this morning but a nice solo wade. I renamed the flattie Dinner.

Should have pulled your anchor when I went by, those 2 guys to the west of ya, had a trout a piece, that’s it
                The water was Black Tuesday where you were fishing today, still not much salt

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
                  Should have pulled your anchor when I went by, those 2 guys to the west of ya, had a trout a piece, that’s it
                  The water was Black Tuesday where you were fishing today, still not much salt
                  It wasn't bad, just had a stained color to it. There were slicks popping up all morning in there, just couldn't seem to get into them. I thought that might have been you going by. I did see the biggest alligator gar I've ever seen roll in front of me. Easy 6-7 foot long.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                    I haven't lost a fish to a shark since I started using one of these...

[ATTACH]925247[/ATTACH]
                    Your time is coming. I have had quite a few do-nets torn up by sharks. Think about it, what's the difference between a do-net and a chum bag? It may be better than nothing and it may deter little ankle biters from sneaking in and stealing a trout or two but it will not deter a good sized shark if he wants those fish.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                      Please explain..
                      There are several ways you can make them. I take a plain ol' 5 gallon bucket and drill 1/2 " holes all over it. Put a minnow bucket lid on it with the little door you can open. I drill a hole and use a small piece of bungee cord to be able to latch the door shut. Put a pool noodle around the top of the bucket with zip ties. Add a rope to drag it by. Put your fish in the bucket. They will stay alive pretty well and you'd be surprised how many will fit in in.

Alternatively I have seen folks rig up rubbermade totes in a similar fashion with a pool noodle float and lid. Also seen folks use laundry baskets and cut a laundry bag open, zip tie it to the top and use that for your lid with a pool noodle float around the top.

You get the basic idea. I can take a pic of one of my buckets if you like. The bucket, so far, has been 100% effective for me. They will come check it out, may even try to mouth on it a little but I have not yet had any issue with it. And if a shark is big enough to crunch a 5 gallon bucket, he can have my fish. I'll be in the boat.

Comment

Last edited by Capt Glenn; 09-21-2018, 03:24 PM.

Comment

That bucket has a little bit bigger holes, probably 3/4" or 1". Whatever my smallest hole saw was. It works. You can just snap the bucket lid on it you like and it makes it easier to dump out your fish. I zip tie the lid on.

If you want bigger just scale it up, get you a rubbermade tote.

I also set up a cheap 48qt cooler to pull behind me with a PVC float. The cooler sits in a pvc ring made of 4" pvc. It works too. I use to use it years ago. Just bulkier in the boat. More of a pain IMO when fishing. Sticks up high, etc.

Comment

I'm not a big shark guy so I tend to stay out of west Matty. Lol

Comment

They will get you in the surf too. And there are more and more showing up in East Matagorda. I have caught more sharks this year in East Matagorda than ever before. Not big ones but big enough to steal fish off your stringer.

Comment

Originally posted by Coastal Ducks View Post
                                They will get you in the surf too. And there are more and more showing up in East Matagorda. I have caught more sharks this year in East Matagorda than ever before. Not big ones but big enough to steal fish off your stringer.
                                Yeah my brother had a chunk taken out of a fish on his stringer in east bay this year. Looked like it was a little 2-3' shark.

Comment

Working...
                                X