No announcement yet.

Deer lease Prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought 640 acres almost exactly one year ago so I'm speaking from a landowner prospective. Before buying I was on multiple leases.

Knowing what I know now its crazy to me that I was able to pay anywhere from $1k - $2k on my previous leases and enjoy all the same access that I now have as a landowner at a cost that is at least 20x - 30x more on an annual basis. Taxes, interest, insurance, fences, electric, water, feed, etc. The cost is astronomical.

If someone has land that they inherited then I could see them leasing it out for a few thousand a year to cover the taxes and put a little money in their pocket. But for someone like me who purchased the land and has a huge cash investment into it I can see no scenario where it would make sense to give up my access and enjoyment to the hunting land to lease it out to hunters at the prices leases command today. It wouldn't be a big enough part of the yearly nut to make it worth while.

If you think leases prices are too high, buy some land and it will change your perspective when you realize what a great deal you had as a leasee.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin' Darts View Post
      I bought 640 acres almost exactly one year ago so I'm speaking from a landowner prospective. Before buying I was on multiple leases.

Knowing what I know now its crazy to me that I was able to pay anywhere from $1k - $2k on my previous leases and enjoy all the same access that I now have as a landowner at a cost that is at least 20x - 30x more on an annual basis. Taxes, interest, insurance, fences, electric, water, feed, etc. The cost is astronomical.

If someone has land that they inherited then I could see them leasing it out for a few thousand a year to cover the taxes and put a little money in their pocket. But for someone like me who purchased the land and has a huge cash investment into it I can see no scenario where it would make sense to give up my access and enjoyment to the hunting land to lease it out to hunters at the prices leases command today. It wouldn't be a big enough part of the yearly nut to make it worth while.

If you think leases prices are too high, buy some land and it will change your perspective when you realize what a great deal you had as a leasee.
      We have properly, but I like getting away.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Comment

Get a couple of oil Wells that will help.

Comment

I find it a privilege to be able to hunt multi million dollar ranches as they were my own for less then a monthly payment on one of them would be. Yes some rules I have to deal with and other hunters but nothing crazy. Don't like it don't lease it. There is plenty good ones out there. I have passed on some good ones this year i would have leased in a heart beat last year.

Comment

Originally posted by 8pointer View Post
            Could y’all imagine how hard it would be to find a lease if prices were cheap? There’s already people that have multiple leases at current prices.

Yup yup..

And if they were cheaper, there would be a wave of new folks trying to get in on that new lower line bitching about not being able to afford them

Comment

It's gotten to where it's cheaper to own your own smaller tract. I have 60 acres around Rocksprings and Del Rio and have owned it since 2005. I'll take the smaller tract limitations over the BS of lease rules and not always knowing with whom I will be at camp.

It's actually for sale in an effort to buy another place.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter98 View Post
                Get a couple of oil Wells that will help.

man why didn't i think of that

Comment

man why didn't i think of that
                  Hopefully you did.

Comment

Supply and demand.
                    Who would have thought pick-up trucks would cost $50-60 K?

Rules are good. Find a good landowner and enjoy renting a big ranch cheaply.

I own, but lease a much bigger place to hunt with friends. In a whole other part of state.

BP

Comment

This thread is really making me appreciate my leases , and the land owners willing to lease them

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                        This thread is really making me appreciate my leases , and the land owners willing to lease them

Same.... and in return I/we try to be excellent lessees

Comment

Buy your own land and never worry. I did.
                          How about this?
                          Consider creating your own hunting camp. There are many guys with tales of woe about their lease. Get a few of them and some down payment together. Your on your way to making your own rules. You get 10 guys that can put up 10gs. Thats 10% of a million(million dollar property) Borrow the 900k. The lease payments y'all were making are now mortgage payments on something you own and can pass down. If you can get guys that can put up more even better and bigger land to buy.
                          Look at this small 77ac piece. Says great Hill Country Hunting In Kerr co. Could maybe get it for 500K. 5 Guys could easily pay off 500K.

Comment

unless you hunt every weekend its to the point where its better to save your money and go on a "management" buck hunt and get a doe also for $1,500 and thats cheaper than most leases now.

Comment

I've got a small place with huge neighbors, King Ranch and USA. Best case for me is to hunt/scout myself and pimp out bucks that show up on my game cams to anyone who wants to hunt them for a decent price. It helps me pay my feed bill and taxes. I want to be in control of my place and if it works out for both of us that's fine.

Maybe the conventional deer lease arrangement isn't for you.

Comment

Originally posted by BLee15 View Post
                                unless you hunt every weekend its to the point where its better to save your money and go on a "management" buck hunt and get a doe also for $1,500 and thats cheaper than most leases now.

If all you are worried about is killing then sure. But a lease is a year long deal for us... we enjoy the work and camaraderie as much as the hunting. The whole experience is what most of us pay for including and dang near as important the camplife. No we don’t hunt every weekend. That’s a crazy parameter to put on it, but we do hunt at least two 3 day weekends a month during season plus two-three 4 days weekends during turkey season. The sweat equity followed by success and good memories with family and friends is just as enjoyable as the actual hunting. Day hunting, while it has its place for some, just doesn’t carry the same experience for me.... right now anyway. I’d miss the work and camplife.

Comment

Working...
                                X