No announcement yet.

Knee Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any updates? My wife had hers done on the 26th and came home yesterday. She's got pain but it's manageable. Rehab people come tomorrow and she's wanting to know what to expect.

Comment

Good luck with rehab Dave, three years ago Doc said I would need a knee in a couple of years. But so far so good. I started on Hyaluronic Acid capsules six months after Doc told me that. Hyaluronic acid is a building block for new cartilage. Another pharmacist told me that degenerative arthritis (which is what I have) responds beneficially to citric acid intake. Been on the juice of 2 lemons daily for several months and I can tell when I don't take it as I should. Same for the H.Acid. Knee still gets a little tender if I lift bags of corn for the feeders, but so far, I have been able to put off having the knee done. Just got over having a total hip after falling out of a tripod a while back. Not too excited about going under the knife again.

Comment

Originally posted by JHT View Post
        My girlfriend had it done last year. Her knee was pretty jacked up after tearing it up two or three times playing sports earlier in her life.

Go ahead and buy one of these:

Ossur Cold Rush Compact with Knee pad is convenient, quiet and easy-to-use, delivering cold therapy when and where you need it.

Get about 6 water bottles and freeze them. Put a few in the unit & fill with water & kick it on. If you just dump ice in the bucket it melts pretty quickly.

It's very quiet and will freeze up your knee in a matter of minutes. I used it after having rotator cuff surgery in October. It may seem a little pricey but after you use it and see how well it works you would pay double for it.

Like the others have said you have to put in the home exercises/rehab all the way. The PT's will know if you don't and there's no fooling them.

She said she was doing them when I knew she wasn't. She only got serious about it when the PT said he was going to manually break the knee on the next visit if she was not at "X" range of motion.
        GREAT ADVICE on the equipment!! We have two of these as prescribed by my wife and my surgeon after shoulder and knee surgery. Cold is many times a great pain reliever and as your need for pain meds diminishes it really helps. Physical therapy is really the key to keep the joint and connective tissue NOT freezing up from lack of movement. When that happens due to inactivity it prolongs recovery and can be literally HELL trying to get back on schedule.

Good luck...

Comment

Prehab is underrated. I think someone mentioned it above but starting PT prior to having the surgery will have major positive effects in outcomes. Not saying you have to, but it will shorten recovery time and give you a better prognosis. Just something to think about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well it still hurts like heck even after almost a month, today is my first day back at work and after about 5 hrs. of sitting at a desk and It's already starting to swell up. PT has been murder I swear those people used to work for the KGB or something as torture experts. I am supposed to get the other knee done in Dec. I'm not so sure about that. Two other guys had surgery the same day by the same Dr. and they feel the same way as I do.

Comment

Hang in there David. Just make sure the Doc said you could push through the pain.
              Glucosamine and Condriotin help with the joints. Over the counter.
              Dr Jack Frost(Big time bow hunter) told me personally that it helps with the healing and supply of what the joint needs. I get the chewy ones at Wally World.
              Feel better soon.

Comment

Originally posted by cva34 View Post
                Just had it done and can't wait to do other Knee in few weeks date not in stone yet(Doc said about 6w apart...

Do what Doc and PT says...I cant speak for Hip ;but I had Right Total Knee Replaced 3w ago Today..at MH ortho /spine...59 and 610..By Dr Parsley..

I was Scared to say least; but them people there are pros and very comforting..I was home on a walker in less than 30h from start to finish...Pain has been way less than expected...I still goin to PT but was on walker 5days then cane 5d and nothing about 1 1/2w get around fine just a little slow up and down stairs..

Prayers and speedy recovery will be rooting for ya!!!

Actual surgery was 1.5 hours

Right knee done March 15

One thing Doc told me was a month before surgery was Exersize that leg and build up so after surgery and PT start your muscles don't have to start unprepared for exersize...He said it will help pain and speed recovery
                I wrote the above about a month ago...I was released by Doc and Phy TH, april 27...I feel like I'm 95% there I been doing anything I want but limited by other Knee ...I been exerc.. both in prep for my May 21 left knee replacement..

Only pain is the Left Knee ... absolute 0 pain in Right Knee that was done March 15..

Hopeing and Praying Left Surg will go like Right...Can't wait to geter done got lots to do at Deer Lease

Comment

Are there any lifelong restrictions after knee replacement? I will hopefully be getting right knee done in tge very near future.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

In 12-15 years. You gotta do it again. They are not forever knees.

Comment

Knee replacement

Originally posted by Tony Pic View Post
                      In 12-15 years. You gotta do it again. They are not forever knees.
                      Doc told me this knee would last forever as long as we replace the plastic piece in the middle as soon as it needs it (10 to 15 years) probably closer to 10 for me as active as I am. Doc did away with all the ligaments except the LCL & MCL he replaced those with cadaver ligaments.

Comment

Yes...I meant they have to go back in after that time frame.
                        Wonder if they give warranties

Comment

Knee replacement

Originally posted by Tony Pic View Post
                          Yes...I meant they have to go back in after that time frame.
                          Wonder if they give warranties
                          I asked that and no not on mileage only on defect and on the titanium only not the plastic. As much as the darn thing cost you would think they would give a warranty like Vortex does on optics LOL
                          I could have bought a new diesel truck for what it cost
                          Last edited by dphillips62; 05-08-2018, 06:45 AM.

Comment

This is interesting....

Discovery and Science Channel's How It's Made Customized Knee Replacements episode.All copyrights go to their respective owners.

Comment

The way I understand it if you keep weight in order and Dont do high impact stuff 20y+ is possible

weight in order is gona be my Problem

Comment

Update
                                Well it's been 8 weeks and I'm finally starting to show some improvement. The Satan's Spawn girls at PT are having a harder time making tears roll from trying to twist my leg off. This week was the first time I actually slept for more than 2 hours. The knee has 0 pain now but I have developed some scar tissue in my thigh just above the knee cap that is quite painful and is causing muscle spasms. A good combination of muscle relaxers and Macallen usually calms that right down.
                                I highly recommend that anyone thinking about this surgery get your Dr. to prescribe several weeks of physical therapy prior to your surgery. I guarantee before my other knee gets done I will be insisting on PT. During the 8 weeks that I have been dealing with this I have met many people going through this the folks that did PT before surgery are generally having no problems the rest are about the same as me.

Comment

Working...
                                X