Florida deputy refused to engage school shooter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flywise View Post
    Tax payers can only stand so much of their money going to things other than their families. To pay public service employees twice what we make now would mean HUGE tax increases. I dont see that going over very well

You are correct, but there's a flip side. Most people I have discussed this topic with, myself included, feel most public service positions are underpaid and there should be a change made...... you are also correct that more taxation wouldn't go over well.

Here's the flip side...... how about the overwhelming tax burden of the broken system of the scum and illegals that are raping the system dry, the politicians and officials that create and encourage the handouts and abuse of the system.

What I'm saying is that if this country could fix it and apply our taxes properly maybe some public service would be properly paid.....
    That said, a tax hike properly applied wouldn't bother me that much

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Wow, that's rather interesting. Seems like a pretty likely scam.

Comment

Originally posted by WCB View Post
        I understand training but until you’re in it you really don’t know what you’ll do...
        x2.....Some situations you can't truly prepare for. Everyone wants to be a hero until the situation presents itself.
        Not seeing the video there may have been zero students left in the halls when he arrived or there may have been 2000 students in the hall and for him to go into the chaos may have cause extra casualties. In todays society if the guy goes into chaos and fires upon the shooter and hits a student he gets roasted for that too. Not defending the guys actions just saying we are quick to hammer the guy not knowing the facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Saggy View Post
          You are correct, but there's a flip side. Most people I have discussed this topic with, myself included, feel most public service positions are underpaid and there should be a change made...... you are also correct that more taxation wouldn't go over well.

Here's the flip side...... how about the overwhelming tax burden of the broken system of the scum and illegals that are raping the system dry, the politicians and officials that create and encourage the handouts and abuse of the system.

What I'm saying is that if this country could fix it and apply our taxes properly maybe some public service would be properly paid.....
          That said, a tax hike properly applied wouldn't bother me that much

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
          Why do we build these huge high school football stadiums and sports comlexes that cost the taxpayers millions of dollars? We pay enough in school tax in Wilson county, and they build football stadiums or squander it away on other needless things.

Seems to me the answer is in broad daylight. The money is there for proper security at schools, we just tend to blow it on stuff that is not important.

Comment

I'll read the rest of the thread later, but I'm with you Roy. When I first heard this info, I was so @#$$%^ I couldn't see straight! I wanted to start a thread about it then, but I knew someone else would come along and put it to words better than I could.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
              Why do we build these huge high school football stadiums and sports comlexes that cost the taxpayers millions of dollars? We pay enough in school tax in Wilson county, and they build football stadiums or squander it away on other needless things.

Seems to me the answer is in broad daylight. The money is there for proper security at schools, we just tend to blow it on stuff that is not important.
              Not sure if you missed the details of the story that you are commenting on?

"The 6-foot-5-inch native of Illinois started with the agency in July 1985, after studying at Miami-Dade Community College and Florida International University, according to records released Thursday by the sheriff’s office."

"Peterson had been a school resource officer at Stoneman Douglas since 2009. He was considered a trusted officer who “values his position and takes pride in protecting the students, faculty and staff at his school,” a 2017 performance review said."

"His annual salary in 2016 was $75,673.72, according to sheriff’s office records, but he made $101,013 that year with overtime and other compensation."

This is not $30-40k. This is absolutely insane. This blows a certain theory completely out of the water.

Comment

Originally posted by one66stang View Post
                The mans job or not, it takes a special kind of person to run head first in to a gun fight. I’m willing to bet that 95% of the people here and all over the internet talking trash about this guy would have turned and ran.
                Yes it’s his job yes he swore to protect but when they are paying you 30-40k a year it’s going to be tough to find real warriors. Easy to say if that was me .... little bit different to be standing there when it goes down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                I have to disagree here. It shouldn't matter that he's making 30-40k a year. He knew what his job was and what it could entail when he volunteered for it. Now while I'm not a cop, I am a combat veteran and have been in my fair amount of **** downrange in the Middle East. And to say well it's understandable to hesitate when he's only making this much, or that even though it's his job it's understandable... to me it is not. You know what you're getting into when you get into that line of work. I can promise you I wasn't getting rich as an infantryman. But, I knew what I was getting into and did my job. If someone isn't willing to step up and do it, then they should not be in that line of work. Period.

Comment

Originally posted by PEC View Post
                  x2.....Some situations you can't truly prepare for. Everyone wants to be a hero until the situation presents itself.
                  Not seeing the video there may have been zero students left in the halls when he arrived or there may have been 2000 students in the hall and for him to go into the chaos may have cause extra casualties. In todays society if the guy goes into chaos and fires upon the shooter and hits a student he gets roasted for that too. Not defending the guys actions just saying we are quick to hammer the guy not knowing the facts.
                  His boss, the sheriff said he was suspended primarily because of what was on the video.

Comment

Originally posted by jer_james View Post

"The 6-foot-5-inch native of Illinois started with the agency in July 1985, after studying at Miami-Dade Community College and Florida International University, according to records released Thursday by the sheriff’s office."

"Peterson had been a school resource officer at Stoneman Douglas since 2009. He was considered a trusted officer who “values his position and takes pride in protecting the students, faculty and staff at his school,” a 2017 performance review said."

"His annual salary in 2016 was $75,673.72, according to sheriff’s office records, but he made $101,013 that year with overtime and other compensation."

This is not $30-40k. This is absolutely insane. This blows a certain theory completely out of the water.
                    I was responding to Uncle Saggy about taxes, we all pay a lot in school tax and as a business owner it never ceases to amaze me the amount of money that is pizzed away with our tax money.
                    Last edited by Radar; 02-23-2018, 07:19 AM.

Comment

I would guess that 75% of police and fire professionals in an organization larger than 60-70k population make much more than people realize. I am 17 years with a growing city and my base is slightly more this cops listed above. It's not a pay issue

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                        I was responding to Uncle Saggy about taxes
                        Taxpayers were paying for a $100k a year coward to protect their Children ...

Comment

Originally posted by Iehooligan11b View Post
                          I have to disagree here. It shouldn't matter that he's making 30-40k a year. He knew what his job was and what it could entail when he volunteered for it. Now while I'm not a cop, I am a combat veteran and have been in my fair amount of **** downrange in the Middle East. And to say well it's understandable to hesitate when he's only making this much, or that even though it's his job it's understandable... to me it is not. You know what you're getting into when you get into that line of work. I can promise you I wasn't getting rich as an infantryman. But, I knew what I was getting into and did my job. If someone isn't willing to step up and do it, then they should not be in that line of work. Period.
                          Plain and simple - excuses are effing ridiculous when it comes to the protection of Children. He had a job and WAS PAID WELL.

Comment

Originally posted by Iehooligan11b View Post
                            Couldn’t agree more. Pay scale has nothing to do with it. A lot of people
                            Seemed to have dropped the ball in Florida. I am sure the sheriff and fbi will concentrate on the responding officers to keep the spotlight off of themselves and all the unanswered tips about the shooter.

Comment

I’m not taking up for the school guard here but many people like to “think” they know what they are going to do. The only true consistent predictor of behavior in this situation is a particular DNA Gene (warrior gene) which the shooter probably has too. Otherwise conditioning or past experience is the only predictors availible.

Comment

Taxpayers were paying for a $100k a year coward to protect their Children ...
                                Read the link on post #75. Is there anything to it? I don't know, but it certainly raises new questions.

Comment

Working...
                                X