Melanistic Bobcat Grimes Co.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blackmouth View Post
    Depending on when all this was done, it may take time but I will see what I can find out and post here.
    Response from Dr. Baccus:

"The melanistic bobcat is another story. I have a paper written on this cat that will soon go to a journal. It is a most unusual cat. I found an article from 1892 about blue phase bobcats and lynx sold to the Hudson Bay Fur Company. The author talked about how rare this color was in cats. There have been only 14 melanistic bobcats taken in North America in recent years and all were solid black. This is the first blue cat. Needless to say, I am very interested in a DNA sample.

I talked to the hunter about a DNA sample. He was going to talk to the taxidermist about any frozen tissues she might have in a freezer. I have not heard from him, so I guess no tissues exist. I was hoping that we could do the DNA on this rare animal since there is none other like it. There may never be another one."

If anyone knows the hunter, please try and get that sample. I asked Baccus if a hair sample would help and I'll post when he responds. I'm not sure how the tanning process and chemicals affect DNA samples. The tissue would be the way to go. Bold sentence is really interesting.

Comment

Wow so he doesn't even have the DNA and the cat is already back from the taxi. Doesn't bode well for research.

Comment

My first post on here. Thanks for posting about my Bobcat

Comment

Originally posted by Blackmouth View Post
          Response from Dr. Baccus:

"The melanistic bobcat is another story. I have a paper written on this cat that will soon go to a journal. It is a most unusual cat. I found an article from 1892 about blue phase bobcats and lynx sold to the Hudson Bay Fur Company. The author talked about how rare this color was in cats. There have been only 14 melanistic bobcats taken in North America in recent years and all were solid black. This is the first blue cat. Needless to say, I am very interested in a DNA sample.

I talked to the hunter about a DNA sample. He was going to talk to the taxidermist about any frozen tissues she might have in a freezer. I have not heard from him, so I guess no tissues exist. I was hoping that we could do the DNA on this rare animal since there is none other like it. There may never be another one."

If anyone knows the hunter, please try and get that sample. I asked Baccus if a hair sample would help and I'll post when he responds. I'm not sure how the tanning process and chemicals affect DNA samples. The tissue would be the way to go. Bold sentence is really interesting.
          Hello Guys,

I am the Hunter of this Bobcat and no we were not able to collect any tissue for DNA testing. One thing to understand is that I have worked with Dr Baccuss over the course of 2 years and originally we only thought of this bobcat to be partial melanism so he never requested DNA samples until 2 years after. I tried to get some from the Taxi but no luck this far back.

Comment

Originally posted by crittergetter76 View Post
            First time I've seen a bobcat with a different color phase.
            Pretty cool cat for sure!
            First time anyone has seen one in over 100 years.

Comment

Originally posted by ballgame View Post
              That is WAY to cool for school!!

Not to mention it was a bow kill!!!!
              Yes I was very impressed with myself when I found out I hit it. At first I thought I missed and just went on with Deer hunting in my tree stand. It was only 2 hours later after I had shot a buck, I went to find my arrow and realized it was a straight through shot and found the bobcat about 15 feet from where I found my arrow. FYI it was a 40 yard shot also.

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                That is one incredible animal.

I'd like to see more/better pictures of the mount.
                Thanks, I am not sure how to post pics or I would.

Comment

Wampus cat for sure

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
                    What a beautiful cat. Do we know if a TBHer shot it? Tequilazo was it you?
                    Yes it was me.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss163 View Post
                      That’s awesome looking congratulations!
                      Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
                        Once in a lifetime, for sure.
                        Yes it is. Well more like several lifetimes. I was just glad I got it just so others could see it.

Comment

If anyone wants to know more about it, or is interested in it let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                            That is one incredible animal.

I'd like to see more/better pictures of the mount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Have hunted all my life all over Texas - 65 years old

This is one of the coolest kills I have every seen - make sure that mount stays in your family for years to come along with the story about it - congrats

Comment

I forgot about this. That is incredible though.
                                A 40 yard shot on a bobcat is impressive, a 40 yard shot on one of the most rare animals ever is even better.

Comment

Working...
                                X