No announcement yet.

Covert solar panel + enloops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good thread here... I bought a Covert Blackhawk and had to send it back after continuous conectivity issues. Customer service was great. They tested my camera, booster antenna, and solar panel. They ended up replacing the camera and pre-set the settings for me. Covert had my trigger interval set to 30 seconds and remote control set to Delay 24.OH. From what I've learned from this thread, under heavy cover (like my lease is) I need the trigger setting at ~4 minutes to help with the overlapping of pics being sent, battery life, and tech issues. I know the remote setting of delay 24 OH won't allow me to take a real time pic. I've since bought 2 more Blackhawks and want to set out all 3 soon. I noticed my 2 new cameras have different firmware numbers/digits than my old one... Questions: 1.) Should I set my trigger intervals for all 3 cameras to 4 minutes? 2.) What does the Delay 24 OH do for me; What am I gaining from this setting; Maybe help with conserving battery life? 3.) Do all Updated firmware numbers match or need to match to work? (When I set up the new cameras at home, they work fine and sent a remote pic as instructions said do.
    Sorry for the lengthy post... Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
      I have a spare 80w panel
      Is that too much power for these cameras or will the camera adjust itself down?
      Some panels have a regulator to protect the battery, if yours doesn't buy a regulator so your battery doesn't get damaged.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbuddyandroby View Post
        Questions: 1.) Should I set my trigger intervals for all 3 cameras to 4 minutes?

2.) What does the Delay 24 OH do for me; What am I gaining from this setting; Maybe help with conserving battery life?

3.) Do all Updated firmware numbers match or need to match to work? (When I set up the new cameras at home, they work fine and sent a remote pic as instructions said do.

Sorry for the lengthy post... Thanks

1). 3 or 4 minutes is the norm in mid to low signal areas. I keep mine at 3.. you just have to learn to deal with missing some stuff in poor areas. After you get used to it and have it out awhile it’s no big deal at all.

2). Yes on battery life. This means you have 24 hours before the camera fires itself up to monitor for changes you make via the ap or commands. With the Covert solar and AAs there is no issues with it being set to Real-time which is it being in check mode 24-7. I like real-time because I can instantly command a pic being taken anytime I want. Very helpful during the rain storms that the radar shows and I can check to see how much we got. ... or if I see a big deer or gobbler on camera I can command a pic before the next 3 minute increment pic takes.

3) not sure what you are asking.

Comment

3.) Firmware shows letters/numbers starting with V. I assume if these values are different, the firmware isn’t the same and needs updating? The one camera I sent back has different firmware values as the two new ones I just bought; Or does this even matter?
          Attached Files

Comment

Pretty sure different year model cameras may have different “up to date” numbers. Like both my 2016 have the same numbers and all the LTE cameras have matching numbers but they are different than the 2016s

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
              Pretty sure different year model cameras may have different “up to date” numbers. Like both my 2016 have the same numbers and all the LTE cameras have matching numbers but they are different than the 2016s
              Thanks, maybe I’m overthinking #3... as long as it’s LTE, I’m fine with it.

Comment

Without rereading this entire thread.......

I have an issue.....

Last year I had the 4,786 (give or take) piece solar charging redneck system. Lasted bout 6wks at a time b4 having to swap out 12 cheapy rechargable AAs and a 12v.

This year it's a camera, covert panel, and 12 NEW Amazon Basics (2400mah).

Fired cam up today. Said latest FW installed.
                Took and sent me 3-4 pics before I left at 2:30. 100% battery, 80% signal.
                Already sending deer pics by 3:45. By the 10th pic, it shows it's down to 80% (7).

Is this normal for it to drop that quick with this setup?
                Panel was in direct sunlight facing S/SW. 1 minute trigger delay. 6hr delay (not real time).

My old style would go several days before dropping below 9.

Any insight appreciated.

D.

Comment

False alarm. Back to 100%.

Comment

Originally posted by 12ring View Post

I have an issue.....

Last year I had the 4,786 (give or take) piece solar charging redneck system. Lasted bout 6wks at a time b4 having to swap out 12 cheapy rechargable AAs and a 12v.

Already sending deer pics by 3:45. By the 10th pic, it shows it's down to 80% (7).

Panel was in direct sunlight facing S/SW. 1 minute trigger delay. 6hr delay (not real time).

Any insight appreciated.

D.

Very normal to drop/fluctuate like that. I was concerned at first. Buddy said that’s how it does when I got mine.. 2.5 years later and 4 cameras with no dead batteries and mine takes a lot of pics! A lot! You’ll learn to ignore the fluctuations because it’s nothing to worry about if your solar is not in the shade 24-7
                    Last edited by Smart; 05-17-2019, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 12ring View Post

I have an issue.....

Any insight appreciated.

D.
                      The battery meters on these cameras are not designed for your charging system. The % numbers are not going to be accurate.

Comment

The 2016 and 2017 models are pretty **** accurate. I have checked with a meter. The LTEs might be different.

Comment

finally setting mine up with 12v, 10amp panel, and 12 basics this weekend. If I cant run in on real time now, ill be darned.

Comment

[QUOTE=Tbuddyandroby;14144948]Good thread here... I bought a Covert Blackhawk and had to send it back after continuous conectivity issues. Customer service was great. They tested my camera, booster antenna, and solar panel. They ended up replacing the camera and pre-set the settings for me.

Update: I set this replacement camera back out, and got the same results. It worked for almost a week and I noticed I'd slowly get less pics. Finnaly it wouldn't respond to real time pics. I called customer support and they said I needed to re-cycle the start-up. When I got to my lease, I turned the camera to the off position, and powered it back on but couldn't get Any signal/connection. I tried eveything from disconnecting/re-connecting connections etc. I swapped the camera out for a new one I was about to install in a new spot and it connected with no problem. Took the bad camera home, called Covert, and they had to do something on the back side of Verizon's end. They emailed me it should connect, and it did.
                            Since, the New Camera I replaced, has stopped sending pics/real time pics... The last pic I got had 100% battery and 40% signal. I have another camera near this stand and it seemed to have stopped the same day. I called Covert, and of course I need to be there with the cameras to troubleshoot, but they said it seems the cell tower in that area of those two cameras must be dropping the signal, or something like that... I have booster antennas on all cameras that are extended up as tall as possible.
                            Question, if I went up another 10', could that help keep a better signal? If so, is there a way to extend Covert's booster connection?
                            If it's the cell tower, that location is just cursed I guess...

Comment

[quote=Tbuddyandroby;14218164]
                              Originally posted by Tbuddyandroby View Post

Question, if I went up another 10', could that help keep a better signal? If so, is there a way to extend Covert's booster connection?

If it's the cell tower, that location is just cursed I guess...

Did you not believe me in my last PM? I gave you a link to the extension cord I used.

Your signal will only be better higher if there is signal up there. And there is only one way to find out. My feedpend was surrounded by tall oaks from where the tower signal comes from. Like I said I went up over 10’.. my signal was stronger up higher and stayed strong unlike the intermittent signal I got on the ground level.

Initial attempt at 10’ off ground.

With extension pole and cable

Last edited by Smart; 06-27-2019, 07:05 AM.

Comment

Well ****.....looks like my last PM last night didn't go through.....sorry Tbuddy. I sent it but it's not showing gone though..

Here is the extension cable for the antenna. I have used them and still have two in use as we speak.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WILSON-9511...53.m1438.l2649

Comment

Working...
                                X