Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Homework

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We were told that if they didn't give kids homework in kindergarten, then they would never get into Harvard! I believe homework should start around 6th grade - not before. Heck, my kids had homework over the summer and tests the first day of class in the fall! And now in college, they frequently have exams and work due on the weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
      Our county has several co-ops that organize field trips. Some are free, some cost. If your county doesn't have that then yes it would be a great idea to do this.

The amount of paperwork is significant in the curriculum that we chose, including a handwriting class, which is lost in todays public schools.

On top of it all, we have piano class, soccer practice, ea 2 times a week plus games, tourneys and recitals.
      I think I remember my wife telling me about a Co-op class in Van Zandt County. Not our county but a short 30 min drive. Will have to look more into it.

Comment

Originally posted by bullhead44 View Post
        I cant imagine being home schooled. Other than flexibility of schedule for trips etc, I don't see any advantages of it. People I see home schooling are usually in one of two boats. There kids are always in trouble at school so they decide to just take them out and do it themselves. Most of these parents have no qualifications for teaching and the kids usually do nothing more than sit on a computer doing busy work all day. I've seen lots of kids come back to public school after being home schooled who have done nothing and are way behind the other kids.
        The other end of the spectrum is people who are trying to keep kids sheltered from the evils of the world and from seeing or hearing things they will eventually see and hear anyway. If parents are doing a good job, kids will still make good choices the majority of the time. Kids need to figure some things out on there own. They are gonna have to at some point in their lives. If you do decide to home school, I hope it works out well for you and your kids. It would not be something I would consider for my child though.
        This is completely true if you are lazy and don't actually "Homeschool" your kids but allow them to "teach" themselves. We've homeschooled our kids from the beginning, with no previous teaching experience. My daughter is in public school now, she's a Junior at A&M majoring in Biological Sciences. She's received scholarships that have paid for her entire tuition so far. My son is a junior in High school and is learning Physics and Calculus 3 which are beyond my comprehension so I wouldn't say he's behind very many public high school kids. Since we have home schooled for almost 20 years we know hundreds of homeschooled students of all ages and I'll say that most of them are ahead of where they would be in public school because you can tailor their curriculum to their individual style of learning(which my 2 are polar opposites). If you are willing to put in the effort there are resources available to help you teach everything they need and then some. Plus you get to spend more time with them.

You said "keep them sheltered from the evil world" in my opinion only a poor excuse for a parent wouldn't shelter their kids. Even liberal Hollywood rates movies to "shelter" innocent children from things they shouldn't see or participate in.

Comment

Originally posted by rjtkdplus View Post
          This is completely true if you are lazy and don't actually "Homeschool" your kids but allow them to "teach" themselves. We've homeschooled our kids from the beginning, with no previous teaching experience. My daughter is in public school now, she's a Junior at A&M majoring in Biological Sciences. She's received scholarships that have paid for her entire tuition so far. My son is a junior in High school and is learning Physics and Calculus 3 which are beyond my comprehension so I wouldn't say he's behind very many public high school kids. Since we have home schooled for almost 20 years we know hundreds of homeschooled students of all ages and I'll say that most of them are ahead of where they would be in public school because you can tailor their curriculum to their individual style of learning(which my 2 are polar opposites). If you are willing to put in the effort there are resources available to help you teach everything they need and then some. Plus you get to spend more time with them.

You said "keep them sheltered from the evil world" in my opinion only a poor excuse for a parent wouldn't shelter their kids. Even liberal Hollywood rates movies to "shelter" innocent children from things they shouldn't see or participate in.
          dilly dilly to you

Comment

My four siblings and I were homeschooled. All five of us are at A&M now and two are working on their masters. Overall I’d say it worked out pretty good.

Like others mentioned you do get some homeschoolers who don’t really study, but again that’s a personal choice and is by no means the norm.

Another thing to consider is college prep. I was able to take classes like history and math that are required for highschool graduation dual credit at Blinn which let me get most of my freshman classes out of the way. While possible, doing this would have been harder at a public school, not to mention the money saved in tuition at A&M. I think that if the kids and the parents are willing to put in the effort then there is no reason it shouldn’t work out. Just my opinion though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
            X