No announcement yet.

Homework

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas has an online school that is free....I can't remember the name of it. Basically they send books and do assignments online, just like in class. Students work at their own speed. You can join a homeschool group for sports/activities.

Public school is just difficult for some students but there are some great opportunities for the students that can work in that system.

oh look...what is that?

Comment

Had a Middle school basketball game tonight that was an away game. The twins got home late after a big win. My girls are wrapping up homework right now.....look at the time I posted this.

Comment

Why not just put them in public schools...?

Comment

It sounds like it’s flipped to me. They go to school and spend most of their day in recess and extra curricular activities. That time that you’re paying for should be learning and curriculum time.

The fun stuff should be saved for the parents.

I agree with you on the feeling of you having to homeschool your kid. I’d have a hard time paying that much for that if it was me.

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
            My 2 oldest kids attend a Christian Academy here locally. Daughter is in Kindergarten and Son is in First Grade. Last year my son came home daily with 3 pages of math homework, 15 sight words, and a Bible memory verse. Attend school from 8am-3pm and basically come home and do homework from 3:30-5, dinner, bath and bed. Hardly ever get to play outside and be kids. We stuck through it and even had a teacher conference asking why all homework and to see what they do in class. Well this year it has multiplied. 6 pages homework, sight words, spelling words, and Bible memory verse. This is for both my daughter and son each. To spend $14k a school year to basically be homeschooling our kids is getting pretty frustrating! My wife actually teaches and knows the daily schedule for the 2 classes. Out of the whole school day maybe 2 hrs of learning. Rest is recess and extra curricular activities.

I don't ever recall having this much homework until I was in 6-7th grade. Maybe a math sheet every so often but I also didn't attend a private school.

Am I wrong for or does everyone else's kids in similar grades come home with 1-2 hrs worth of homework every night?

Hate my kids don't have time to be outside playing in dirt and being kids.

Rant over!

My son has been in private school his entire life and the homework has been an issue since day 1.
            He is in 6th grade now and the homework is still an issue. The struggle is real !!! I get so sick of YouTubing videos, googling and searching for schoolwork videos.
            Pain in the @ss for sure !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MasonCo. View Post

My brothers and I were lucky that our parents went the extra to put us through private Catholic Schools....... high school came with an entrance exam.
              To answer your question here's an example, our 8th grade math level was the public systems sophomore and junior year level. Oh, and we also learned discipline

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MasonCo. View Post
                Because it is just as bad. My 4th grade granddaughter gets home at 3:15. Homework goes to about 6:00 or 7:00. Dinner and a little TV. Bed. She is having to do some things we didn't do until Jr. High or High School. All the reading assignments require side notes. That was somewhere around 9th grade when I was in school. When they start a new part of math, it is one day of simple problems and then straight to double or triple digits. Last night was dividing triple digit numbers by double digit numbers. They just started division last Thursday.

Comment

My sisters and I went to private school. It used the A.C.E. self paced curriculum. we had a certain minimum amount of work to complete each day and the only time we had any homework was if you didn't finish during school hours. I usually did, but that was because i spent too much time goofing off in class than working.

Comment

Both my daughters went to public school. Tons of homework that would eat up most of their evenings.

Comment

My son is in a public school in McKinney. He is in 1st grade. In kindergarten he had some homework. This year they decided no more homework. He is encouraged to read a book each night but isn't required. He gets to pick the books he wants.

At school they sort of do self-paced learning. All the students are pretty much on the same page but if some are a little more advanced they get higher level activities. One day a semester the dads get to spend the day helping with various classes and activities. I've been impressed with the engagement of the the students and the teachers.

Comment

My son is in 1st grade and attends public school. His current homework consist of

1. Read and Response: Read a book and write a 2-3 sentence repose to the book. Basically what you liked or thought was funny, etc..

2. 10 Spelling words: He has a spelling test each Friday and comes homes with 10 different words each week. He has to do 3 spelling assignments each week which shows he is studying them. Which basically is writing each word 5 times each, or doing them pyramid style, etc...

3. 3 sight words: He must be able to identify these words is all I get out of it

His homework isn't bad as my wife picks him up from school at 3:30pm when school lets out and takes him home to start on his homework. Homework usually takes an 30-45 min depending on his pace and how well he is doing on his spelling words. He makes strait A's on his report card and per my wife did really good at the parent teacher review. I think for me it's different as I don't remember having this much work when I was his age either. Plus some of the spelling words they're giving them seem to be words I learned at higher grades. I guess on the plus side he's already on pace to be smarter than me lol

Comment

We were in the same boat. Switched to homeschool hybrid program this year. They go a day and a half to school, get there assignments for the week in core subjects and they get religion and a few other subjects from mom. My middle son basically plays all day. Inside, outside, teaching himself guitar and then does his work in the evening. His choice. The others are more structured. It has definitely been an adjustment. But is working out well in the end. Much more free time. In fact, we are going skiing this month just so we can finally go without spring break crowds.

Comment

My kids went through private school from K-12. They didn't have much homework during elementary school, but they had lots of homework in middle and high school. But they were busy learning in class during the vast majority of the school day as well. The academics were pretty demanding at their school. At first, I was upset that they didn't have time to get a job and learn how to work. But they were involved in several extra-curricular activities on top of keeping up with their homework. They were working their butts off. They're both excelling in college right now. Both working 20+ hours per week while in school. They both have a great work ethic and they know how to study. They also learned how to prioritize school and work over jacking around time. It's helped keep them from going off in some wrong directions.

BUT...in high school, there were 1 or 2 teachers that we came across that weren't teaching during class and we were having to Google everything every night at home to teach them those subjects that they weren't learning at school. That was definitely frustrating. Lots of parents talked to the administration about those issues, and those teachers didn't return the next year. If we had been paying big money to send our kids to a school where that was the rule rather than the exception, I wouldn't have kept my kids there.

Comment

Some encouraging post here leaning towards homeschooling. It would for sure be an adjustment. I see a lot of advantages. Big commitment if we decide to go that route. I told the wife just so she could get out of the house environment and feel like she was in class that I would build a small 20'x20' building strictly for school. I think it would help her and the kids both.

Received some PMs with really good advice! Will definitely keep everything in mind as we research curriculums.

I have seen research of kids with 4 day school weeks take in more info and are able to comprehend better. Overloading kids especially at this age I don't think is doing them any good. My son gets overwhelmed and it affects his attitude toward work. By the end of the day it's the last thing he wants to do. Next morning he is well rested and does everything better. My daughter in the other hand loves homework, loves school, even tells us I know this leave me alone.

Chadt1234 that is a plus taking trips outside of normal holiday break weeks etc. Definitely liking that! Hard part will be limiting ourselves!

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                                My kids went through private school from K-12. They didn't have much homework during elementary school, but they had lots of homework in middle and high school. But they were busy learning in class during the vast majority of the school day as well. The academics were pretty demanding at their school. At first, I was upset that they didn't have time to get a job and learn how to work. But they were involved in several extra-curricular activities on top of keeping up with their homework. They were working their butts off. They're both excelling in college right now. Both working 20+ hours per week while in school. They both have a great work ethic and they know how to study. They also learned how to prioritize school and work over jacking around time. It's helped keep them from going off in some wrong directions.

BUT...in high school, there were 1 or 2 teachers that we came across that weren't teaching during class and we were having to Google everything every night at home to teach them those subjects that they weren't learning at school. That was definitely frustrating. Lots of parents talked to the administration about those issues, and those teachers didn't return the next year. If we had been paying big money to send our kids to a school where that was the rule rather than the exception, I wouldn't have kept my kids there.
                                Imagine when there was no Google to help. I think some teachers take advantage of technology and leave it up to the parents now. Our older generation is so much smarter than today's generation. I think old school is the way to go. Heck kids nowadays are Tide Pod eating idiots!

School should be all education, learning experience. Home should be family/play time! No different than a job. We go to work daily to work and earn a living. When we get home it's family time.

Comment

Working...
                                X