Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much would you spend to save a pet’s life?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
    Just curious. No right or wrong answers. You can share an opinion or an anecdote.
    That's a loaded question, I have no answer to.

I picked up a worm infested, emaciated mutt that meant nothing to her previous owners. She was so close to death she was anally pronated. I picked her up, brought her to the vet. Cost a pretty penny. She had the mange or ring worm so bad the vet said she would never get her hair back, well she did grow all her hair back. She turned out to be a great little dog, till somebody shot her.

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
      We had a Boston Terrier get into a bag of amdro one time. It didn't kill her. She also tangled with coyotes once, and they damaged her but she didn't die that time either.
      Well Amdro is insecticide, so obviously it wouldn't hurt a dog

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
        I don't even know what we've spent on our female black lab the last year. She's 13 and been going downhill since our chocolate male died last year.

She stopped eating a couple days ago and is getting very weak. We are having her put down tomorrow at our vets advice.
        Sorry to hear that. Had my vet out last summer for my 13 year old lab. One of the hardest things I've done.

Comment

I would drop my whole savings account to have another 15 years with my warrior princess.

Click image for larger version

Name:	received_10214920429581212.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	24538442

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
            A new one at the pound is only like $40 so......$39
            This!

Comment

Originally posted by Speedgoat View Post
              I would drop my whole savings account to have another 15 years with my warrior princess.

[ATTACH]906067[/ATTACH]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
              This on any of my Rotties I have had, these are my kids literally as I have none of the human kind. And I have spent a ton on the 2 before the 2 I have now and will do it again in a heartbeat!

Comment

Dogs are an important part of our family. I don’t value them more than a human but I don’t think that is the question. I was also raised as dogs are dogs and not to be let in the house etc. But I can tell you when I carried my 2 yr old Draht into Gulf Coast Emergency Vet Clinic in Houston, I was prepared to pay whatever I had to pay and borrow some more to save her. I had made up my mind on the drive there. Unfortunately she died before anything could be done. I completely agree that you shouldn’t put a burden on your finances and you should do what your heart says. I also believe that when I take ownership of a dog (any dog purebred or mutt) I am agreeing to love and care for that dog to the best of my abilities. Dogs are not disposable and should never be thought of that way.

Comment

I spend 92 dollars a month on insulin for my wife's lap dog.

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
                    I spend 92 dollars a month on insulin for my wife's lap dog.
                    Nothing, my dog food costs me over $100 per month for my 2 Rotties since my male has a food allergy so it is $55 per 30#'s at 10 cups per day for both! Only one place in town to get it!

Comment

I have no idea where the numbers came from but I’ve always applied an avg. life expectancy of 12 years to my dogs. They get $200 per year of remaining life expectancy. My current dog is almost 3, she’s worth about $1800 to me. I love her, she sleeps at my feet or on my feet every night. But at the end of the day, she is a dog and it doesn’t make sense to spend a bunch of money to keep a dog alive. I have a wife and kids and bills to pay. But, I cried like a baby when I put my previous dog down who had congestive heart failure at 13.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Going through this as we speak. $4500 to save our cat. Didn't even ask how much to put him to sleep, just got the 22. Girlfriend is sobbing as I type. Tough deal for me as well. If I had the money I would have spent it on him.
                        I've had a dozen different dogs, horses, mules, coons, squirrels, you name it. Put down plenty in my life, it was just a dog, cat, etc.. Lot of them were good pets, I spent time with them everyday, but to spend a dime on them not a chance. Just how it was.
                        Until this cat,, and my Catahoula (7yrs age difference). These 2 animals are the first pets I've ever had, that I had an emotianal connection with. Previously all the pets I've ever had were just pets. Dumb drooling beasts, who bark, crap everywhere, nuisance when you go out of town, etc.. These 2 became a part of my daily life, constant companions. No kids so we basically did everything with them, and they did everything with us, and they understood me. The cat listened just like a dog, and you only had to tell him once. Get off the counter, get off the computer, quit scratching the sofa, whatever, 1 time and that was it. My Catahoula knows if I'm going to work, If we're going to run, if we're getting in the car, or if were just going outside. How, no clue, but he is always right, and waiting on me to catch up.
                        He also never lets mama out of his sight if we're outside. Me, he roams around, mama, he watches her like a hawk, and nobody better walk up to her. He's only 7 months and has done these things since he was 4 months old. That's priceless imo, as I've never had another dog like him, or met another cat like CAT (his name).
                        IMO some people have never had that connection. I spent my whole life on the other side of the fence, never knowing a animal like that until I met CAT, he was one of a kind.
                        How much would I spend, whatever I could, within my means.

Comment

About $1,000 I'd say (depending on circumstances), I hear people say they love there dogs like there own kids but I gotta call BS one that

Comment

Not much...
                            Had good dogs, crapy dogs and great dogs no lasted longer than 13 years with an average around 7.

Comment

Spent $4,000 for 2 back surgeries for our mini dachshund

Comment

I like my dog more than I do any person except my wife, daughter and grandkids......

Comment

Working...
                                X