No announcement yet.

2018 Live Pig Hunts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hog hunting isn't all about tracking. Now finding them after the shot is easier if you are a good tracker.
    Hunting hogs at feeders can be very challenging because they know the possibility of danger exists around feeders so they are pretty spooky. They will come in and check the wind and be on edge. If they don't like it they roll out. On the other hand if they are in their natural feed pattern (feeding in a field or in the woods) they are much more relaxed and easier to get in on.
    If you want to get your daughter on a guaranteed shot opportunity with the bow I'd take her on a sheep hunt to a high fenced place.
    If you don't mind driving a hundred miles and walking I can probably get her a spot and stalk opportunity on pigs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve seen a lot of you guys use red light, and some green light for hogs at night. Is there an advantage to using either?

Comment

Originally posted by trevormcgee View Post
        I’ve seen a lot of you guys use red light, and some green light for hogs at night. Is there an advantage to using either?

Green is brighter and easier to see. I have has less scared pigs with red. When the pigs are not at the feeder it makes no difference, I've walked up to 5 yards of them using white.

Comment

Originally posted by Wits_End View Post
          Green is brighter and easier to see. I have has less scared pigs with red. When the pigs are not at the feeder it makes no difference, I've walked up to 5 yards of them using white.

I’m in a tree stand 20 yards from hand corn and ~30 from the feeder. The hogs are usually pretty skittish until it’s totally dark and they scatter if I hit them with the white light. Was gonna mount a light to my bow like I’ve seen a few do on here. Is red not gonna be bright enough?

Comment

We don’t have as many as normal, and i ain’t complaining. But I’ve got some single boars that are getting pretty regular between 7 pm and dark. Especially in the last week. I’m gonna go this evening I think.

There’s a pine tree just off that trail about 12 yards that’s perfect for a climbing stand and the south wind is perfect today too. We’ll see what happens. I’ll probably try to get there about 5:00 and climb up and settle in.

Comment

I’m in a tree stand 20 yards from hand corn and ~30 from the feeder. The hogs are usually pretty skittish until it’s totally dark and they scatter if I hit them with the white light. Was gonna mount a light to my bow like I’ve seen a few do on here. Is red not gonna be bright enough?

At 20 yards, you should have plenty of light using red.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

Good luck this afternoon CRM, take us with you.

Comment

Originally posted by CRM_95 View Post
                  We don’t have as many as normal, and i ain’t complaining. But I’ve got some single boars that are getting pretty regular between 7 pm and dark. Especially in the last week. I’m gonna go this evening I think.

There’s a pine tree just off that trail about 12 yards that’s perfect for a climbing stand and the south wind is perfect today too. We’ll see what happens. I’ll probably try to get there about 5:00 and climb up and settle in.

[emoji106] I'm ready for some pig killin action

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

Comment

Red will be plenty bright. I've shot pigs at 225yds with red led.
                    Find a wide flood pattern, turn the light on with it pointed way up then slowly bring it on pig.

Comment

Red is plenty bright if you get the right bow light. One tip when hunting feeders at night, never turn the light on until the hogs have been feeding at the feeder for at least 5 minutes. Hogs are almost always nervous when they first arrive at a feeder because they know they get hunted there and are just looking for a reason to spook and turning on a light can be enough to spook them. They also know that if nothing happens in the first 5 minutes that they are probably OK and will settle down and that can be enough for them not to spook at a light coming on. Also get some lighted nocks for the arrows because without them, you will have no idea where you hit the hog and knowing that can also make up your mind on how much to track. The lighted nock can also aid in tracking. I've found many hogs just because of the lighted nock. More times then not when you shoot a hog with a arrow and it's a good shot but you don't get a pass through, the hog will not fall on the side the arrow went in. If your arrow stays in the hog, the lighted know can be sticking straight up and it can be easy to see a long ways off. Hogs have a tendency not to leave a good blood trail especially big boars. I've found several hogs only because I could see the lighted nock glowing in the distance and when I got to it the hog was dead right there.

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin68 View Post
                        Red is plenty bright if you get the right bow light. One tip when hunting feeders at night, never turn the light on until the hogs have been feeding at the feeder for at least 5 minutes. Hogs are almost always nervous when they first arrive at a feeder because they know they get hunted there and are just looking for a reason to spook and turning on a light can be enough to spook them. They also know that if nothing happens in the first 5 minutes that they are probably OK and will settle down and that can be enough for them not to spook at a light coming on. Also get some lighted nocks for the arrows because without them, you will have no idea where you hit the hog and knowing that can also make up your mind on how much to track. The lighted nock can also aid in tracking. I've found many hogs just because of the lighted nock. More times then not when you shoot a hog with a arrow and it's a good shot but you don't get a pass through, the hog will not fall on the side the arrow went in. If your arrow stays in the hog, the lighted know can be sticking straight up and it can be easy to see a long ways off. Hogs have a tendency not to leave a good blood trail especially big boars. I've found several hogs only because I could see the lighted nock glowing in the distance and when I got to it the hog was dead right there.

Thanks for the tips. Hopefully I’ll stick a couple pigs in the next week using these pointers.

Comment

Just got caught up on the thread.... We killed 3 pigs last weekend and got out witted by one big sounder of hogs... They came in 20 mins after we checked the feeder. We need to get a better spotlight/bow light set up for night hunts!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Well we’re in. Still don’t have the light setup but hopefully a few will show before dark.

Comment

Good luck Trevor!KAP

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                                X