Anyone else having this problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by texashunter56 View Post
    Different activity and noise when you are there. I would start road feeding around the blinds this off season to let the deer associate traffic with corn. It has worked very well for me for the last 28 yrs.
    This is a great idea if you use vehicles to go to your hunting areas. What do you do to promote deer activity if you walk in?

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
      That works if there isn't a lot of food, what if there is plenty of food? I have never seen this in SETx...ever. I been hunting here since 86

Have you tried corning the roads on a regular basis for 3+ yrs at a time before giving up?

I'm not in East Tx, but it's made a huge difference in the amount of deer I've seen since I've started corning roads the past 5+ yrs. In the beginning I'd never see deer during the day and always ran feeders. The past couple of years I haven't ran a corn feeder, just corn the roads. Last time out I had 12 different deer munching on corn at the same time.

Just like pavlov's dogs, they'll eventually get conditioned to it.

Comment

Originally posted by stxhunter View Post
        Have you tried corning the roads on a regular basis for 3+ yrs at a time before giving up?

I'm not in East Tx, but it's made a huge difference in the amount of deer I've seen since I've started corning roads the past 5+ yrs. In the beginning I'd never see deer during the day and always ran feeders. The past couple of years I haven't ran a corn feeder, just corn the roads. Last time out I had 12 different deer munching on corn at the same time.

Oh yeah. They eat the corn, but they don't run out in the road when a vehicle drives by. Too much food in SETx. Corn is a extra not a necessity. I have thousands of pictures on corn, 90 percent at night. 2 different worlds S Tx and SETX

Comment

Yes, welcome to my world lol.

Comment

If the present plan is not working try the opposite. Not like you can end up worse.

Comment

I think it's because they have a lot more options this year with all the rain we have had that where they normally take a chance to eat this year if they even have a small feeling somethings not right they aren't going to risk it. And I also think there main trails have expanded because more food in new areas. It trickles down to all. More rabbits etc means more predators thus also changing the deers patterns to avoid the healthier predators. This year I was successful in my opinion because got to my stand (both am and pm) approx 1 1/2 hours earlier than last year. And I am utilizing my dome stand (leaving my lockons/tree stands alone this year. And keeping my windows closed till I was ready to shot. (Keeping my scent a little more contained)
              And finally? This year I was just lucky. Next year might be your year.

Comment

You mentioned feeders. I had a protein feeder, just show up and eat all you want. 4 years running, kept a camera on it except during the hottest part of Summer, never once got a pic of a mature buck. Spikes is only buck pics. A lot of doe. It took the doe a good year before they visited it with regularity. SETX is way different.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                  You mentioned feeders. I had a protein feeder, just show up and eat all you want. 4 years running, kept a camera on it except during the hottest part of Summer, never once got a pic of a mature buck. Spikes is only buck pics. A lot of doe. It took the doe a good year before they visited it with regularity. SETX is way different.
                  It very well could be. I tried protein feeding my deer about 6 years ago with a free choice boss buck feeder. Never saw a deer eat and ended up feeding the coons and gave up after several months and several $100 in the trash, had some fat coons though!

This year in March I decided to give it another try, and purchased a timed 2k lb all seasons protein feeder. This ensured I would have feed out there all the time even if coons were dumping it out. Fortunately I've NEVER seen a coon on the spouts with this new feeder!

All year long I'd check the camera, no pictures of deer until September when I saw a doe walking, not eating near the feeder. I was beginning to think I had just wasted a lot of money once again trying to feed these dang deer! It wasn't until October I saw a few more deer walking around, but never eating from the feeder. The week after thanksgiving I started seeing deer FINALLY eating. From the start of their time eating at the feeder until the week before Christmas I had over 1k pictures of deer eating from the feeder.

If I hadn't had the timed unit constantly keep feed in the chutes there is no way the deer would be eating protein at this point ( I normally only get a chance to go to the ranch once every 3-4months, not to mention the potential added expense of wasted feed). Fortunately I stuck with it and I can't wait to see how next season turns out.

In my opinion it really takes time to get a wild animal conditioned to eat from a feeder. Think about it, they've gotta trust they can blindly stick their face in a hole to eat. Give them a chance, and each time you go out to the ranch throw as much corn as you can on the roads or where you walk. Eventually they'll figure it out.

Comment

They are posting up and watching you go in. I had this issue once in Christoval and Smart dropped me off and I went a different direction and killed my target buck that afternoon.

Comment

It very well could be. I tried protein feeding my deer about 6 years ago with a free choice boss buck feeder. Never saw a deer eat and ended up feeding the coons and gave up after several months and several $100 in the trash, had some fat coons though!

This year in March I decided to give it another try, and purchased a timed 2k lb all seasons protein feeder. This ensured I would have feed out there all the time even if coons were dumping it out. Fortunately I've NEVER seen a coon on the spouts with this new feeder!

All year long I'd check the camera, no pictures of deer until September when I saw a doe walking, not eating near the feeder. I was beginning to think I had just wasted a lot of money once again trying to feed these dang deer! It wasn't until October I saw a few more deer walking around, but never eating from the feeder. The week after thanksgiving I started seeing deer FINALLY eating. From the start of their time eating at the feeder until the week before Christmas I had over 1k pictures of deer eating from the feeder.

If I hadn't had the timed unit constantly keep feed in the chutes there is no way the deer would be eating protein at this point ( I normally only get a chance to go to the ranch once every 3-4months, not to mention the potential added expense of wasted feed). Fortunately I stuck with it and I can't wait to see how next season turns out.

In my opinion it really takes time to get a wild animal conditioned to eat from a feeder. Think about it, they've gotta trust they can blindly stick their face in a hole to eat. Give them a chance, and each time you go out to the ranch throw as much corn as you can on the roads or where you walk. Eventually they'll figure it out.
                      It took a drought for deer to start eating out of the Protein feeder. Once they get it in their stomach, they start craving it. Even at that I never got a pic of a branched antlered buck. Just a couple of spikes and a doe group and one lone doe. Once they started eating it they spent some time at the feeder

Comment

I have decent luck feeding all the roads after the last hunt, as well as pulling cards then as well. I feed enough so that you will have corn on the ground for the following weekends hunts as well. It took me a while to realize this is the best approach for my area. Also when I get within 2-300 yards from my stand I spray a small amount of doe p on the bottom of my boots. I will also mention I walk in on my most productive lane and have seen deer as soon as I get in the stand some times. Other guys on my lease that do not follow this method see next to nothing. It takes a little getting used to but this works best for me. Good luck to ya

Comment

I had the same issue. Had a nice deer coming in every morning and evening but would not show up when I was in the blind. I only sat this stand 3 times all year. I had enough. I put up tripod 175 yards away. He showed up like clock work. Took him 45 minutes to come to the feeder. He circled behind the blind 3 times. If I would have been in the blind I would have never known. First rifle deer I have killed in years. It was a great hunt!! I’m would highly suggest putting up a tripod at least 150 yards away and watch what he does. He’s there. Go get him! Good luck!!

Comment

Yep, I think one of the most important times to corn the roads is when your not going to hunt.

At the end of your hunting trip, just filling feeders in off season, scouting, setting up blinds etc corn the roads. Basically every time your out there corn the roads. The deer WILL get used to it and eventually become more comfortable with human activity, that's been my experience anyway.

Comment

Lot of acorns this year, no activity at feeders until late November. Have more success with secondary stands about 75-100 yards from feeders. I see them coming out late so I moved to where they are. Have cows on the place for the first time all season, next year they are on vacation yo another pasture from sept thru January.

Comment

Same here. They pattern us like we pattern them.

Comment

Working...
                                X