No announcement yet.

GSP or Brittany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From your original question I would go with the Brittany over the GSP, personally. Having been around them both and will agree that both breeds have a ton of upside. If you just dove hunt a brittany will do well and typically are less high energy than the GSPs. As mentioned before there are some better options that may fit your bill such as a Boykin or even a lab.

Comment

GSP’s and Brittanys are pointing dogs and your only job is going to be as a retriever. If I were you, I’d be looking at one of the retrieving breeds. Boykin’s are the ideal dove dog and make great family pets. A lab, golden retriever, springer spaniel, Or English Cocker Spaniel would all be a better choice for what you describe than a GSP or a Brittany.

I own a Brittany and I have hunted and trained with many GSP’s, Boykins, and labs.

Comment

I agree with Dale's post with a vizsla recommendation if you aren't going lab based on what you will be hunting. Out of the 2 you asked about I would go with gsp. It would take a lot for me to dove hunt over a long haired dog again. Between the heat of dove season and the cockleburs it was just too much for me.

I know some will slam the thought but it doesn't hurt to look around for a mix/hybrid either. I got a vizsla-lab mix on here a few years ago. She is the best dog I've ever owned. She has the frame and hair of a vizsla but she is much calmer (relatively speaking) like a lab. She doesn't get near as hot hunting compared to the labs I have had and she never runs out of gas. I have seen gsp/lab mixes on here before as well and if I could have found 1 last time I was in the market for a pup I would have gotten 1 in a heartbeat.

Comment

I have a boykin and a GSP. GSP all day.

Comment

I have a GSP Vizsla mix , great with kids and ready to hunt

Comment

Do some research on the Braque Francais. I was going to get a GSP but their energy level had me nervous. We got our Braque 4 year’s ago and couldn’t be happier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by skinsfan View Post
                I strictly dove hunt and would like a pup to be member of our family as well as retrieve.
                I have had GSPs pretty much all my life and really enjoy them. All I can say for Britts, is that my dad had a Brittney and it retrieved more skunks than birds so he made the switch and never looked back.

Mine is a retrieving machine. As in if he sees a tennis ball he will retrieve it as many times as you will throw it. He loves dove hunting, and will sit and watch the sky for birds, but he would prefer to be out hunting for birds (like quail) rather than waiting for him to come to them.

Super sweet dog as well, great with other dogs and kids. Seen many females less than 60#, but they can be gun shy. Only dog I have ever meet that was sweeter than my GSP was a girl I dated viszla. The most personality I have ever seen in a dog.

Any bird dog is going to need exercise.

Comment

I have owned A LOT of pointers, and a couple of brittneys, and don't think they are the dogs for dove hunting. They want to hunt with their nose, and all of mine where way to high strung to sit by you till you shot, then go retrieve. If you want a quail dog they are great. A pointer will lay belly up in your lap on the couch, but the second they are in the field hunting nature takes over and they are wide open.
                  Last edited by BrianL; 12-13-2017, 01:25 PM.

Comment

We have all types of dogs out during dove season. Most of them are well trained and get birds successfully. pointers, hounds, spaniels, labs.. you name it. The thing I notice is the GSPs are WAY more heat tolerant during early dove season. You can train a dog all year, but if he overheats when the birds start falling......

Comment

Originally posted by batmaninja View Post
                      I have had GSPs pretty much all my life and really enjoy them. All I can say for Britts, is that my dad had a Brittney and it retrieved more skunks than birds so he made the switch and never looked back.

Mine is a retrieving machine. As in if he sees a tennis ball he will retrieve it as many times as you will throw it. He loves dove hunting, and will sit and watch the sky for birds, but he would prefer to be out hunting for birds (like quail) rather than waiting for him to come to them.

Super sweet dog as well, great with other dogs and kids. Seen many females less than 60#, but they can be gun shy. Only dog I have ever meet that was sweeter than my GSP was a girl I dated viszla. The most personality I have ever seen in a dog.

Any bird dog is going to need exercise.
                      I had a GSP that would stop hunting if you could not knock birds down.

Loved her to death.

SHe would also stink eye you horribly for missing.

Comment

Thanks a ton for all of the input! I have learned a ton from your experience! I will definitely look into a Boykin! I have worried about the energy levels of the Brittany’s and GSP and you guys have confirmed my fears! Any leads on a reputable Boykin breeder?

Comment

Originally posted by skinsfan View Post
                          Thanks a ton for all of the input! I have learned a ton from your experience! I will definitely look into a Boykin! I have worried about the energy levels of the Brittany’s and GSP and you guys have confirmed my fears! Any leads on a reputable Boykin breeder?
                          ALL hunting dogs will have high energy. Even labs (until older). I have yet to see a good hunting dog with low energy.

Comment

Gsp has a ton of energy we have one, but it's an energy you will grow to love and laugh at. My gsp does all of it, track, quail duck dove etc. Dog wakes up ready to hunt. They're a great breed. I'm trying to convince my wife we need another one

Comment

Originally posted by pervis View Post
                              Gsp has a ton of energy we have one, but it's an energy you will grow to love and laugh at. My gsp does all of it, track, quail duck dove etc. Dog wakes up ready to hunt. They're a great breed. I'm trying to convince my wife we need another one
                              I saw one limping on 3 legs looking for sympathy. The owner said "She is not hurt.....just begging, watch this"

He said "You want to go hunt"

SHe jumped into the back of a full sized pickup that had its tailgate up and started barking ready to go.

Comment

gsp

G s p

Comment

Working...
                                X