No announcement yet.

I'm Done With Deer Processing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I process my own. I like know for certain that my deer is my deer. Plus, I trim everything off the meat before I package. Mostly, I make steaks, roast and jerky. I do grind some for pressed jerky, which my wife likes a lot. Doesn't really cost me anything but time. Everyone should do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
      DIY processor here as well for basically since the late 70s. Used a few processors here and there on busy years and just prefer to do my own with my meat and my recipes. Buy you a quality grinder once....one large enough to stuff off of .....and build yourself a smokehouse to cold smoke your sausage. Your brisket smoker will work but the cold smoker yields a much better product. Your first year's savings on 4 deer will more than pay for your equipment.
      Hey Smart, can you recommend a quality grinder?

Besides some quality knives/cutlery stuff what else would you consider essential?

Comment

I do my own. Barely could afford to deer hunt back in the day, much less have the money to have it processed. It takes time but I think it is worth it. Did summer sausage before Thanksgiving.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
          Maybe its charging his cranking arm but I wondered the same.

I assume hes actually got and electric motor on it
          An alternator is an electric motor, essentially. Apply power to the output side and it'll spin.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

With processing fees and price for sausage mine came to about $6/pound

Comment

I do my own and my only regret is that I was too 'tight' on buying my grinder. I tried to go inexpensive and don't have quite the power I'd like. Now I'm waiting for my grinder to die so I go with a 1 hp and get done quicker.

Comment

Originally posted by Cardinal View Post
                Hey Smart, can you recommend a quality grinder?

Besides some quality knives/cutlery stuff what else would you consider essential?
                We carry a large selection of Meat Processing Equipment and Products including grinders, sausage stuffers, mixers, dehydrators, saws, smokers and more!

Every thing you need is here
                And as said above don't skimp on the HP , I personally prefer a hand crank stuffer
                Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 12-07-2017, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                  Maybe its charging his cranking arm but I wondered the same.

I assume hes actually got and electric motor on it
                  It's pretty easy to make a cheap motor out of an alternator... all the same components.

Comment

I process our deer, and have been since 08ish. I do use a processor for my smoked sausage though.
                    We usually get 2-4 deer a year. Used a cheap little academy special browning grinder(I think) for 2 yrs. I bought a book on butchering. Still working on those skills(self taught). I usually trim meat, to get as much tendons, fat, glands, ect, out. Then we make, roast, steaks, stew meat, fry, fajita/stir fry meat. I used to cut the back strap, but now just cut in half and package. I can then do whatever I want with it when the times comes. Most all front shoulder, neck trimmings, and (nonspecial cuts) of the back leg goes to hamburger/sausage. I do make pan sausage. We stepped up to 1hp commercial cabelas grinder a few years ago(sale) and use a cabelas vacuum sealer. I rarely buy beef, literally 3-5 times per, max.
                    I need to buy a good set of knives, learn to sharpen. I think the supplies have paid for themselves. If does take hours. Skin, draining blood/icing, cutting, packaging. I usually freeze the grinder hunks during the season, then thaw and grind hamburger all at once, like 50lbs in January. I like the feeling of accomplishment, though doing sometimes my neck doesn't.
                    This is still a learning process for me. I play with different cuts, cooking different ways. Im still playing with my deer/pork ratio in my grinder meat. Its all been edible, lol.

grinder meat:I usually do 4lbs trimed deer, then 1 lbs pork shoulder (pork meat/fat). Sometimes a little less pork/more deer, always 5lbs at once. The meat Is still lean since using pork meat/fat.

Essential supplies: Time, electric grinder, vaccum sealer, cutting board, knives, work area. Though I get away with crappy knives).

Comment

Working...
                    X