No announcement yet.

I'm Done With Deer Processing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer processing has gone way to high for me and that's the only reason I'm doing it myself now. Don't get me wrong I know they have to pay guys and time is money, but these days they have gotten way out of hand on pricing. With the going rate 4-5 deer is $1200 plus thanks, but no thanks.

Comment

I did my own one year. I must have missed a gland or two. All the ground meet smelled nasty when cooked. The dog ate good that year.

Now I just pay to have burger and steaks done. It ends up being around $50/doe and $65/buck

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
        My BIL recent bill was $615 for one deer. He got back 140 pounds of smoked sausage and the backstraps were cut up into steaks and bacon wrapped. Pretty expensive eats if you ask me.

Skinny
        How?? Thats crazy

Comment

Originally posted by CrookedArrow View Post
          How?? Thats crazy

Well I’m guessing the smoked sausage is around $4.00 a pound plus whatever they charge to do the backstrap. Then I’m sure there was a skinning fee? I’m not too sure. I haven’t taken a deer there in years.

Skinny

Comment

My wife and I can knock out 2 deer in an afternoon. Other than backstraps most of it waits until after new years to be done. Depending on the age and sex of the deer its made into stew meat,roasts or sausage/burger/jerky. Most years we dont even buy red meat.

Comment

Took me six and half hours to process two deer the other day. Still beats paying someone else to do it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

you know, what most of you are saying is true, until you work in the processing business. I have, for over 10 years. You have to take in account what a processor spends for equipment, electricity for the coolers, containers, mixes, labor. A commercial grinder 8 to 10,000 thousand, stuffer, the same, tender riser, 4000, vac machines 6000 and most have two. How about the sealing bags. So when you figure all these expenses in, who gets the best deal?

Comment

My BIL recent bill was $615 for one deer. He got back 140 pounds of smoked sausage and the backstraps were cut up into steaks and bacon wrapped. Pretty expensive eats if you ask me.

Skinny
                  Mine are usually $125-$150 with a lot of sausage. Something smells in Denmark...

Comment

I used to process mine when I lived where there was actually cold weather during deer season and could let it hang in the barn for a couple days before cutting it up. Spending $80 on my last deer here was well worth letting it hang in a cooler when it was 70F when shot and 50F at night and having it ground, cut, cubed and packaged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

When you process your own, you know how the meat was handled. After seeing how some folks gut and quarter deer and chunk in the cooler makes me want to process myself. Lot's of folks like to hang a deer out in 80 degree weather for a few days before hauling it to the processor. For just grinding, slicing and packaging, I prefer to do it myself.

Some places have excellent sausage. Good smoked sausage is very hard to do yourself unless you have a family that has passed down the practice. In my opinion, that's the only time to have it done at the processor.

Comment

Skinny
                        Yes, but that is the standard. My brother just paid 450 dollars for 65 pounds of venison to be processed.

Comment

Originally posted by WCB View Post
                          Mine are usually $125-$150 with a lot of sausage. Something smells in Denmark...

This. Not sure where you guys go to get a bill like some mentioned but I get summer sausage, chicken fried’s and such and I’m around $150.

I grew up in ND and we’d hang out deer in shops/sheds and they’d freeze hard, leave them till our group had 4-5 deer which was normally a week. We’d then heat the building to thaw the deer and we’d cut them all up and grind and package. Living in the middle of the city with a wife that wouldn’t like a deer in her garage requires me to use the processor. I’m happy with the job they do and the prices. Joshua Deer Processing!

Comment

I normally do my own for this reason. But last weekend we shot 3 deer. We we're in the middle of a move and just didn't have time to do it ourselves. So we took it to our local processors. I remember now why I stopped. Basic processing. Roast, stew meat, back strap cut into steaks rest hamburger. Total was $248. But I have to also look at it this way. I don't have to buy beef any more.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Same here. I've gotten 4 deer processed and I'm up to $600. I just shot an axis this past weekend and even though it will all be hamburger, enough is enough. Got some advice from the GS, bought a cabelas grinder, gonna start saving some cash!

Comment

I'm Done With Deer Processing

We also look at it as a time to get together with your buddies (and their families if they are into it) and drink a little cold beer, or a little whiskey/vodka, eat a steak or good BBQ and talk about the past season or season coming up while we work. The work isn't hard when you have several folks. It can be a long process when you cold smoke sausage but we make it a weekend ordeal and everybody goes home with full coolers and a full wallet[emoji13][emoji23]

I understand folks "don't have time" or "don't make time" because they'd rather do something else, but to me it's an extension of deer season.... and a good time. We try to do it in January or early Feb for the perfect cold smoking temps, a dry cold front, and no conflicts with kids spring sports.

Comment

Working...
                                X