No announcement yet.

Dave Ramsey fans read this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not a big Dave Ramsey fan , however I find this interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Treeshark View Post
      I'm not a big Dave Ramsey fan , however I find this interesting.
      Nor am I

Comment

If you have two groups of seniors, one who reaching old age think "I wish I'd sacrificed and saved more" and another group who upon reaching their dotage think " I wish we had spent more," by my calculations there are 3,497 people in the first group for every one in the latter.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
          If you have two groups of seniors, one who reaching old age think "I wish I'd sacrificed and saved more" and another group who upon reaching their dotage think " I wish we had spent more," by my calculations there are 3,497 people in the first group for every one in the latter.
          I think you need to live as you're never promised tomorrow. But live within your means to survive comfortably tomorrow and the next etc.

Dave Ramsey helps folks who can't manage their money on their own.

Comment

My personal opinion is that it is different for everyone. For me personally I am very uncomfortable with debt. It eats at me owing someone. For example I recently went through a course that met every third weekend. At one class we needed to purchase an item to be used for the class that was $44. One of the people in the class loaned me the money because I didn't have cash or check on me and just said "pay me back next class" I thought about that $44 at least 50 times over the next 3 weeks and it bothered me knowing I owed him. I put the money in my wallet and paid him back the instant I saw him and he had forgotten about it.

It may not be the best financial decision knowing how low interest some loans are and how little Intrest some of my money is returning but having no debt and saving what I can somehow reduces my stress levels, I feel like I am at least doing what I can to be prepared. I hear people all the time saying you are better off carrying a big mortgage, student loan, car note, etc. at low intrest and investing your own money at a higher rate of return. The problem is many of the people saying this don't invest that money and still carry a big debt load.

I have never attended a DRamsey class or read his books but I think what he pushes is close to how I think. No one program works for everyone but my wife and I have found what seems to work best for us.
            Last edited by Cantcatch5; 10-29-2017, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Very interesting. I was on the Dave band wagon and it got me and my wife debt free with a paid off house and 2 vehicles paid for. Right now we still save but live our lives like we want to and I would say we are comfortable. We make right at 100k and go on vacations and at least one nice hunt a year.( not including the family farm). Life’s not about how much money you make, it’s about what you do with the money you do make and living within your means. Once you get a good grasp on your money you need to LIVE, as tomorrow is not promised.

Thank you for posting

Comment

i have studied the book Rich Dad Poor Dad and it has made all the difference in my life. It teaches the difference between good debt and bad debt. I have grabbed for all of the good debt that I can and tried to minimize bad debt. It's a wonderful education that you will not get in school. It helped me retire from my day job at 50. Dave Ramsey generally discourages nearly all debt. The good debt can make you rich!

Comment

I can gauruntee you if you follow Dave Ramsey's advice you will be happy and wealthy eventually.

Comment

How may of you are looking at retirement of within 5 years are looking at over 1 million $'s in retirement savings for this, plus SS! Just wondering.

Comment

Originally posted by Treeshark View Post
                      i have studied the book Rich Dad Poor Dad and it has made all the difference in my life. It teaches the difference between good debt and bad debt. I have grabbed for all of the good debt that I can and tried to minimize bad debt. It's a wonderful education that you will not get in school. It helped me retire from my day job at 50. Dave Ramsey generally discourages nearly all debt. The good debt can make you rich!
                      you nailed it

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Brown View Post
                        I can gauruntee you if you follow Dave Ramsey's advice you will be happy and wealthy eventually.
                        depends on who you are

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                          How may of you are looking at retirement of within 5 years are looking at over 1 million $'s in retirement savings for this, plus SS! Just wondering.

I anticipate it taking a lot more than $1,000,000 to retire.

Comment

Originally posted by Cantcatch5 View Post
                            My personal opinion is that it is different for everyone. For me personally I am very uncomfortable with debt. It eats at me owing someone. For example I recently went through a course that met every third weekend. At one class we needed to purchase an item to be used for the class that was $44. One of the people in the class loaned me the money because I didn't have cash or check on me and just said "pay me back next class" I thought about that $44 at least 50 times over the next 3 weeks and it bothered me knowing I owed him. I put the money in my wallet and paid him back the instant I saw him and he had forgotten about it.

It may not be the best financial decision knowing how low interest some loans are and how little Intrest some of my money is returning but having no debt and saving what I can somehow reduces my stress levels, I feel like I am at least doing what I can to be prepared. I hear people all the time saying you are better off carrying a big mortgage, student loan, car note, etc. at low intrest and investing your own money at a higher rate of return. The problem is many of the people saying this don't invest that money and still carry a big debt load.

I have never attended a DRamsey class or read his books but I think what he pushes is close to how I think. No one program works for everyone but my wife and I have found what seems to work best for us.

I have no argument with what you stated - my entire point has always been this - what works for some will not work for others. So ANY advisor like Ramsey who preaches that there is only one way to financial success is selling swamp land. A real advisor will look at each persons situation and provide advice based on that- pure and simple

Comment

Originally posted by Cantcatch5 View Post
                              I anticipate it taking a lot more than $1,000,000 to retire.
                              It depends on your lifestyle and spending - some people can live on very little and others need more - everybody is different

Comment

Working...
                              X