Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TKK View Post
    depends on who you are
    No answers then? Who has that in their retirement of looking at over 1 million in retirement. Don't dodge the ? Yes lot's of variables, but who is looking at this type of money for retirement right now?

Lot of stuff I am reading is if you have this and are not deeply in debt then this is what you want. I do not follow all the so called experts, just wondering.

I see a lot of advice for, "if you have $500,000 right now in retirement, then you need to do this"!

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
      No answers then? Who has that in their retirement of looking at over 1 million in retirement. Don't dodge the ? Yes lot's of variables, but who is looking at this type of money for retirement right now?

Lot of stuff I am reading is if you have this and are not deeply in debt then this is what you want. I do not follow all the so called experts, just wondering.

I see a lot of advice for, "if you have $500,000 right now in retirement, then you need to do this"!
      Google the 4% safe withdrawal rule of thumb

Couple that with social security at your age and you will likely be good to great as long as you have health insurance

Comment

It depends on your lifestyle and spending - some people can live on very little and others need more - everybody is different
        You are right l, it absolutely does depend on lifestyle but I just can't see being able to retire on $1 mil. It depends greatly on 1)how long I will live, 2)how long my wife will live, 3) our future health, 4) future market volatility, and 5) how much money we have at retirement... I will only know for certain #5 when we decide to retire. I will adjust for #4 as we get closer by investing in lower yielding safer investments but can't totally prepare for inflation and big changes in the economy.

It is scary stuff to me! I read that the AVERAGE American will spend $260,000 on healthcare during their retirement...that is crazy!

Comment

...I just realized something TKK. I was typing faster than I was thinking. I was thinking of my wife and I together. $1,000,000 each that would be closer to what I THINK we will have to have. Not quite enough but getting closer.

Comment

As an investment advisor for 30 years I talk to people about this every day. One of the saddest things about my job is when I have people come in who are within 5-10 years of retirement and finally decide to do some planning. They have had a 6 figure income for decades and have lived well, but when we run the numbers in the planning software, including social security, pension, 401k - whatever they have - it looks very bleak. I see an awakening and a lot of regret. Look at it this way - if you start saving when you are 30 you have to save enough in 30 years to live another 25+ years in retirement. When you adjust for inflation that is a huge number. For example at an inflation rate of only 2.5% to get a $75k annual income in today's dollars = $157k 30 years from now.
            Last edited by jerp; 10-29-2017, 06:58 PM.

Comment

depends on who you are
              I just disagree completely, his principles are just that principles , doesn't matter who you are or what you do, just follow the principles.

Comment

Originally posted by Cantcatch5 View Post

It is scary stuff to me! I read that the AVERAGE American will spend $260,000 on healthcare during their retirement...that is crazy!
                This is the crazy part for most. I am able to retire with full benefits. The whole money thing is scary to think about. But, I feel I'm on the way there. I need to look into the rich dad poor dad.

Comment

I don’t have an issue with Ramsey or his teachings (for the most part)That’s said, I’m a bigger fan of Rich Dad Poor Dad, The Millionaire Next Door, Smart Couples Finish Rich, & Think and Grow Rich.
                  Last edited by Buckley99; 10-29-2017, 07:24 PM.

Comment

My philosophy is never live for today until you take care of tomorrow---

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Brown View Post
                      I just disagree completely, his principles are just that principles , doesn't matter who you are or what you do, just follow the principles.
                      So how have so many people used debt to become wealthy? One shoe does not fit all

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post

sorry but read your post several times and it makes no sense

Comment

Dave Ramsey works for people who haven't figured out that debt is bad when it goes towards things that depreciate instead of appreciate.
                          I think he serves a good, but there are better systems to getting wealthy. Just have to be smart and figure out what leverage is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I agree with what most of Dave says although his method of getting there may be a little different than mine. I believe if you start early enough, you can generally live your entire life debt-free.
                            Just wish I could go back and do a few things differently.

Comment

It depends on your lifestyle and spending - some people can live on very little and others need more - everybody is different

This article covers what I was saying here - there is no "one number" everyone needs to have a comfortable retirement. It varies greatly from one person to the next depending on multiple factors.

Retirement is almost as inevitable as death and taxes. This is why estimating your retirement expenses is so important. There's no one right way to calculate how much money you're going to spend during your retirement, but as you crunch those numbers, you'll want to keep several strategies in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                                I think you need to live as you're never promised tomorrow.
                                But live within your means to survive comfortably tomorrow and the next etc.
                                Communist.

Comment

Working...
                                X