Canning Meat (Venison). My Impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chew View Post
    I'm going to the RAT compound with SHTF.

Good thread Michael.
    Bring beer...

Comment

Well, y'all talked me into this pressure canning fad.
      I've been water bath canning salsa and pickles for quite a while now.
      The garden just got a lot of different veggies planned for it.
      Can't wait to try canning venison.

Comment

I just ate a jar of the deer I canned . Was pretty good . I do need to add a little more seasoning next time .

Comment

I was hoping to get one more doe this past weekend specifically for canning. Wasn't able to make it happen, so now I gotta wait til next season.

I'm thinking maybe I'll try it with wild pig.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizz83 View Post
            I was hoping to get one more doe this past weekend specifically for canning. Wasn't able to make it happen, so now I gotta wait til next season.

I'm thinking maybe I'll try it with wild pig.

You will not be disappointed

Comment

I may have to track down a cooker that I can borrow so I can try this.

Comment

Ok, I'm intrigued. Where can I drop my deer meat off and how much per pound/can do you charge. LOL.

Btw, that old pressure pot is cool.

Comment

Well it’s been a little over a month of the alpo looking stuff sitting in my pantry I decided to give it a taste test. Put some egg noodles on and popped the lid on a half pint. It smelled a lot better that it looked. I dumped it into a sauce pan and began warming it up. Mixed up about a teaspoon of cornstarch with about 1/4 cup of warm water to thicken up the juice into gravy. Stirring it up I could feel how tender the meat was. I fixed a bowl and was extremely surprised at the taste. Zero taste of deer or “gaminess”, just a solid meat flavor. Next time I’ll sauté some onions and mushrooms to top it with.

Like Michael said in an earlier post, this isn’t just another way to put up deer meat, it’s actually very good and is something I’m already looking forward to having again!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby View Post
                    Well it’s been a little over a month of the alpo looking stuff sitting in my pantry I decided to give it a taste test. Put some egg noodles on and popped the lid on a half pint. It smelled a lot better that it looked. I dumped it into a sauce pan and began warming it up. Mixed up about a teaspoon of cornstarch with about 1/4 cup of warm water to thicken up the juice into gravy. Stirring it up I could feel how tender the meat was. I fixed a bowl and was extremely surprised at the taste. Zero taste of deer or “gaminess”, just a solid meat flavor. Next time I’ll sauté some onions and mushrooms to top it with.

Like Michael said in an earlier post, this isn’t just another way to put up deer meat, it’s actually very good and is something I’m already looking forward to having again!!

Good stuff!

One of my go-to meals (not just canned meals) is "instant" carne guisada. I cooked a quick brunch for Mo on her GSP exotic hunt this morning.

I also took a jar of potatoes, and as an afterthought cooked them in the duck fat I rendered from the ducks I cooked for dinner. It was incredible! Mo said the potatoes "won the plate" and asked me to can some potatoes for her.

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Man, that looks good

Comment

Canning Meat (Venison). My Impressions

I just got finished canning 4 pints chicken thighs. 8 pints of meatloaf . forgive the messy counter . I think my house cleaner is on strike ...

Comment

My bride got a pressure canner for Christmas... Gonna have to try this IF I ever kill another deer!!

Comment

This post inspired me a while back and I used a deer shoulder for some canning. Cubes up the meat, mixed with onion, garlic and jalapeño. Placed it in cans and 90 minutes later it was done. It looks god awful in the jar ha but surprisingly taste good and is very tender.

Comment

For reference on this thread, here's a canning video I put together for TBH Video Journal.

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Well finally got around to getting my old pressure canner tested. I sent it in with the lid attached and they couldn’t get it off. It will come off just pretty tight. Any ways I called the extension agent and she pretty much convinced me into getting a new one. Probably not worth the risk on this old one. So I’ll put it up on a upper shelf and let Grandma watch over me as I begin this new journey

Comment

Working...
                                X