Canning Meat (Venison). My Impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Double C View Post
    Interesting. Do you guys think the presto 16qt is too small vs the 23qt? Especially if I want to use it for bone broth too? Both hold 7 qts and I Honestly don’t see myself messing with the baby pint jars too much to double stack.

We have a glass cooktop and I’m not sure if the big 23 qt one is too heavy.
    Get the 16 imo.

Comment

I've got a Presto 23qt. Not sure about the glass cooktop but when I don't want to heat up the house running it I use my 2 burner camp chef outdoor stove to can.

I like the 23qt because I can double stack pints & half pints. I like doing pints since it is just me and the wife in the house now.

I also have a Nesco electric pressure canner. You will see mixed opinions on them & the usability of electrics but my sister has used one for years. I like it for ease of use & small batches.

I've done deer, pork, beef, chicken, broth/stock & peanuts. Don't laugh at the last one. We grew up in the south where boiled peanuts are a big deal. Canning was the best solution when my sister brought out 35 lbs of fresh, green peanuts.

Comment

I have the All American 15 qt. It's amazing how cubed meat and a tiny bit of salt turn out after you process the jars.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
          You can the Worcest in with it? It doesn't end up too strong?
          I can it with it it’s not too strong.
          No more than a tbl spoon/pint

Comment

Originally posted by Texas452 View Post
            I can it with it it’s not too strong.
            No more than a tbl spoon/pint
            I'm gonna try that, sounds awesome. Thanks!

Comment

I did this exact thing over the weekend. Packed my jars with meat and added some chicken bouillon, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Came out great! This year I’ll be putting up meat as well as veggies.

Comment

Pretty much all recipes in Newfoundland start with: fry a pound of salt pork. They use it in everything, including "bottled moose". The Newfies we hunted with spoke of bottled (canned) moose with great respect. A layer of onion, layer of salt pork , layer of moose, repeat until the jar is full. I'm wondering if that would work with deer meat? It might be worth a try. I do know, the bottled moose we ate was absolutely delicious.

Comment

I canned some venison stew before Christmas and just busted a jar open. I’m a little disappointed- was still typical dry venison stew chunks - I was hoping for a little more moist and tender. However sure is nice to have it ready to eat at a moments notice

Comment

I'm going to get into the canning game soon.

On a side note, there used to be a place in the Atlanta area (county extension office IIRC) that you could take you stuff to and get it canned (in an actual can).

You would put all your ingredients into an actual tin can and they would cap it and run it through the process. A hunting buddy of mine at the firehouse used to take deer there.

Comment

Many years ago my BIL handed me several jars of canned deer meat. It looked disgusting but he said just give it a try. Ate it like hot roast beef sandwiches with gravy and it was delicious.

Comment

With all the power failures lately and all the inflation, I've kept my canners busy. I'm trying to rely less on the freezer to preserve food. My first was an 18qt Presto. It turned out that it wasn't big enough for me. I added an
                        All American 925. Should have gone even bigger. Most weekends when I have time to can, I have them both going. I have 24 pints of turkey soup going now. The turkeys are ones i took last year and veggies are from the garden.
                        I've canned a bunch of venison. Some plain with just a bit of salt, but mostly "meals in jars".
                        Chili, meatloaf, burritos, taco soup, charro beans, stew, and my favorite, Mississippi pot roast.
                        Get those canners running guys, it's addicting!

Comment

Scotty, you got a recipe for your Mississippi pot roast? I'm just about to do some test pints and figure the more the better.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                            Scotty, you got a recipe for your Mississippi pot roast? I'm just about to do some test pints and figure the more the better.
                            I've never tried to can it without cooking it first.

Put your roast or roasts in a slow cooker. Cook on low.
                            Add one pack of au jus gravy mix and one pack of hidden valley ranch mix.
                            I use about 1/2 of a 16oz jar of pepperoncini peppers and some juice.
                            Lay one or two sticks of butter on top of the roast. (I use two). lol
                            I cook my venison roasts for a full day and then shred it. Then another hour or so.
                            Fill jars leaving a good inch and a quarter headspace and pressure can pints for 75 minutes, quarts for 90 minutes.

Comment

Thank you sir. I have a couple I'm trying this weekend then a taste testing party lol

Comment

Working...
                              X