No announcement yet.

Canning Meat (Venison). My Impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think I could eat it. It looks disgusting. No offense meant.

Comment

Originally posted by brianlg31 View Post
      Well finally got around to getting my old pressure canner tested. I sent it in with the lid attached and they couldn’t get it off. It will come off just pretty tight. Any ways I called the extension agent and she pretty much convinced me into getting a new one. Probably not worth the risk on this old one. So I’ll put it up on a upper shelf and let Grandma watch over me as I begin this new journey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      How much for it?

Comment

I spent the weekend cooking up a few batches of venison bone stock (commonly mislabeled "bone broth") using mostly neck bones, shin bones and femur bones that I accumulated in the freezer. I sawed the bones to expose the marrow and then roasted them with vegetables before adding herbs and a few spices and covering with water to cook.

I did two batches in an electric pressure cooker (similar to instant pot) for about 4.5-5 hours each, and I slow cooked another batch for about 42 hours in a crock pot.

I ended up canning 7 quarts plus 8 pints. The pressure cooked batches were both lighter in color and less flavorful than what was slow cooked.

I'll use some of these in recipes that call for broth, stock or liquid (and may drink some for the supposed health and healing properties.)

I'll be cooking up more (separate) batches using pork, chicken and beef bones.

My Flickr Photos

Comment

This stuff is unbelievable! I can a bunch of jars each year, many pounds of freshly caught Yellowfin Tuna. They become much anticipated gifts to family and friends.

Some of the recipes

Panini Press - Black Jewish rye - canned tuna - smoked sharp cheddar cheese - grilled on Panini and served as hot tuna melt sandwiches with soups on the side

Hot Tuna Casserole - Couple jars of tuna - parmesan cheese - cornflakes layered on top and drizzled with butter - baked in the oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes - cornflakes turn crunchy golden brown and the dish is unbelievable

Some have sea salt others have Old Bay and the various Old Bay seasonings offered on the market. I use spring water to fill the head spacing before running an hour and a half in the pressure cooker at 11 PSI.

The smell of the yellowfin tuna, as it cooks, smells like a roast. No fish smell.....which is pretty darn wild. Much to do with the garlic, onion and jalapenos added to each jar. Optional peppers - roasted Shi****os or Hatch Peppers.

Last edited by AtTheWall; 02-11-2018, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Don’t have a pressure cooker but we have an instant pot. Can you use it to can with?

Comment

I really wanted to do bone broth . Pulled a bonehead move and fed the buzzards .

Comment

Originally posted by CoachStanton View Post
                Don’t have a pressure cooker but we have an instant pot. Can you use it to can with?

I wouldn't unless you can regulate and monitor the pressure.
                My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  I spent the weekend cooking up a few batches of venison bone stock (commonly mislabeled "bone broth") using mostly neck bones, shin bones and femur bones that I accumulated in the freezer. I sawed the bones to expose the marrow and then roasted them with vegetables before adding herbs and a few spices and covering with water to cook.

I did two batches in an electric pressure cooker (similar to instant pot) for about 4.5-5 hours each, and I slow cooked another batch for about 42 hours in a crock pot.

I ended up canning 7 quarts plus 8 pints. The pressure cooked batches were both lighter in color and less flavorful than what was slow cooked.

I'll use some of these in recipes that call for broth, stock or liquid (and may drink some for the supposed health and healing properties.)

I'll be cooking up more (separate) batches using pork, chicken and beef bones.

There's no substitute for slow cooking the bone stock. I do the same, cut the bones, roast them, and then slow roll them for about 72 hours. I add the vegetable cuts around the 48 hour mark.

In the culinary world broth is stock that has added spices. Technically, anything made from the meat, carcass or bones is called stock. Once it is cut with water, wine or something else, and has spices added is when it becomes broth.

You will hear the terms used interchangeably, except by a chef, by most people.

I use broth in almost all my recipes that call for added water, except pasta. Rice, stews, soups, sauces, carne guisada, all get broth added instead of just plain ol' water.

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
                    There's no substitute for slow cooking the bone stock. I do the same, cut the bones, roast them, and then slow roll them for about 72 hours. I add the vegetable cuts around the 48 hour mark.

In the culinary world broth is stock that has added spices. Technically, anything made from the meat, carcass or bones is called stock. Once it is cut with water, wine or something else, and has spices added is when it becomes broth.

You will hear the terms used interchangeably, except by a chef, by most people.

I use broth in almost all my recipes that call for added water, except pasta. Rice, stews, soups, sauces, carne guisada, all get broth added instead of just plain ol' water.

Apparently even professional chefs are unclear on the differences. I've heard a couple (including tv chefs) indicate that stock is with bones and broth is without. I heard one (internet "chef") recently say that it's stock if you roast the ingredients (meat, bone or veggie) and broth if you don't roast them. LOL!

My Flickr Photos

Comment

What is the difference between stocks, broths, and bone broth? Let's lay out the facts right up front.

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Glad to see it catching on. Canning seems to be a lost art, maybe it'll come back.

I don't get hung up over stock/broth terms, but I do use bay leaves, juniper berries, peppercorns, etc.

Throw a couple of hooves in for really good stock.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                          Apparently even professional chefs are unclear on the differences. I've heard a couple (including tv chefs) indicate that stock is with bones and broth is without. I heard one (internet "chef") recently say that it's stock if you roast the ingredients (meat, bone or veggie) and broth if you don't roast them. LOL!

Either way it's good stuff! In the end I guess it doesn't really matter what we call it if we all know what we are talking about right?

Comment

If its been stated before, I apologize, but how long is canned meat good for?? A friend of mine gave me 2 jars a couple years ago and its still in the pantry. Typically, I'll eat about anything and like trying new stuff, but looking at it in the jars, I just couldn't make myself try it out!!

After reading through most of the thread, I'm wanting to try it out, but not sure if it would still be good...

Comment

Originally posted by MedicineMan7 View Post
                              If its been stated before, I apologize, but how long is canned meat good for?? A friend of mine gave me 2 jars a couple years ago and its still in the pantry. Typically, I'll eat about anything and like trying new stuff, but looking at it in the jars, I just couldn't make myself try it out!!

After reading through most of the thread, I'm wanting to try it out, but not sure if it would still be good...

I wouldn't hesitate at two years.

Comment

I run my jars in the dishwasher on High Heat - during the drying stage, I pull jars, fill, cap and load the pressure cooker. Jars are hot, dry and the lids get pulled out of boiling water. Stuffing the jars with cool meat, cools them immediately. Works for me, simple, clean and fast. I can process several canning runs in no time. To save time, I'll swing by and pick up a bunch of pre-chopped stuff to add to the jars. Dealing with fish - you don't have a week or two to screw around as the meat ages.

Comment

Working...
                                X