Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Pop Up in ETX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do yall do about scent control or cover scent in the popup?

Comment

Originally posted by U.S.ArmyRetired View Post
      I take a shower then go sit still

Comment

I have never had a snake in blind. We hunt Bowie county in far northeast Texas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

i'm not in E.TX, but I have mine on a 7' tall platform, no snake worries for me. as far as cover scent I have a bottle of tinks skunk scent on a nail in one of the legs that I open when I arrive to hunt.
          oh, and I don't have it brushed in or anyting, it stays up year round; the deer get used to it.

Comment

Ozonics

Comment

I have killed more bucks with my bow from pop ups than I ever killed from a climber or lock on. I love being on the ground I don't brush mine in much I just put them up against a tree or clump of bushes.

Comment

After having a tripod collapse on me a few years back, I've pretty much become a ground dweller and I use pop ups a lot! I killed my first deer in East Texas last year since 1976 with a bow and shot it 15 yards out of a pop up... 4 year old 10 point... Year or 2 before that, had a 5+ year old BIG 10 do a walk around my pop up 360 degrees and never knew I was there... I have a high degree of confidence in them. I keep all the windows almost completely closed except where I expect to shoot... I video out of the bottom portion of the window and shoot either right over or beside the camera... I hang an ozonics over the open window and set it up to blow across the window... I have fooled many, many white tailed deer like this using good scent control for my clothes/gear and pre hunt shower... For the record, it still does not fool a hog's nose. If the wind is wrong and you're hog hunting. hunt somewhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                  After having a tripod collapse on me a few years back, I've pretty much become a ground dweller and I use pop ups a lot! I killed my first deer in East Texas last year since 1976 with a bow and shot it 15 yards out of a pop up... 4 year old 10 point... Year or 2 before that, had a 5+ year old BIG 10 do a walk around my pop up 360 degrees and never knew I was there... I have a high degree of confidence in them. I keep all the windows almost completely closed except where I expect to shoot... I video out of the bottom portion of the window and shoot either right over or beside the camera... I hang an ozonics over the open window and set it up to blow across the window... I have fooled many, many white tailed deer like this using good scent control for my clothes/gear and pre hunt shower... For the record, it still does not fool a hog's nose. If the wind is wrong and you're hog hunting. hunt somewhere else.
                  Thank you sir.

Comment

I have had does, yearlings and small bucks eating the brush off of my pop up while I was sitting in it in east texas. When I hunted out in Brady actually had a yearling stick it's head inside the window while my wife and I were sitting in it. I usually spay down with scent away and spray a little racoon per on the outside of the blind.

Comment

And wear black shirt if your inside of a pop up. Camo stands out against the black background of pop up stands.

Comment

Heres my set up.
                        If you're worried about snakes getting in it pile some dirt up around the edges and sure it stays zipped up.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

How do you keep the snakes out?

I put brush and dirt on the outside base of the blind wall, and push dirt up on the inside walls. I've never had a snake get in one.

Comment

Here is at least a 5yr old out in front of my ground blind. No brushing in just set it out during August. This is Newton county.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jooger17 View Post
                              GarGuy talked me into them a few years ago after all the success he's has out of them. I've killed and passed several mature bucks out of them in Angelina, Houston, and Trinity Co.

I used to brush them to the max and when I say to the max I mean WAY more so than even most people that claim to brush them in. I found that to be counter productive. I got busted more in the super brushed blinds. I started putting them in cover that was already there. A stand of small sweetgums or youpons, blown down trees or root balls are my favorite. The theory is they're going to notice whatever you do. If you do it inside something that's already there they'll pay less attention to it.

This is the best way. I have had more success doing this or just setting it up and leaving it. I have blinds in place for several years tucked into brush or back in the trees. The brushing in thing just doesn't make since to me. But do what you think works and have fun

My next thing to do is plant honeysuckle or Asiatic Jasmine and let it grow over the blind

Comment

Originally posted by axisbowhunter View Post
                                Here is at least a 5yr old out in front of my ground blind. No brushing in just set it out during August. This is Newton county.
                                I hunt Newton also, where you located? Nice buck, I hope you get him

Comment

Working...
                                X