Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Laszlo View Post
    https://youtu.be/yk0mchsMstQ

Well the wife and I watched videos on youtube last night. Call it a date night.

From what I can tell it starts to add up on conditioned crawlspace with concrete underlayment, foam etc as opposed to traditional simple crawlspaces. Looks to be a lot more labor intensive. Personally I would prefer this approach. Make things a whole lot cleaner and less prone to humidity issues, critters, mold etc.
    Matt Risinger is a high end builder in Austin. That is definitely a pier a beam but you dont need the bottom layer of concrete. My house is over dirt. I love pier and beam as it is easy to move plumbing and/or electrical. While his version of pier and beam is very labor intensive and expensive, you can go more traditional with a vented crawl space. I would put down the plastic for a clean crawl space and foam. Skip the concrete "ground"

I think with everything you need to get real quotes to make a decision whether is is worth it or not. Are you going to stay long term? Also the ground should be drilled and regardless of foundation type, I would get a foundation engineer involved.

Comment

Originally posted by PVDT View Post
      For crying out loud it's funny how many explanations there are.

Pier and beam...old school frame houses with no concrete slab.

Pretty much all concrete slabs have beams unless it's a floating slab.

Concrete slab with piers....It's a slab with the addition of vertical holes (piers) drilled deep into the ground to help stabilize the slab.
      This is 100% correct. I've built all types listed above and there is a place and need for all....Sometimes dependent on soil report and sometimes dependent on choice.

Comment

Originally posted by pyrobow View Post
        it has been 15 years since I built mine.

Reasons.
        Did it myself no need to hire a crew.
        Floor gives, a little easier on your back and legs
        If it settles, It is cheaper and easier to repair.

Disadvantages.

Harder to resale.
        Floor can get cold.
        If doing it yourself can be time consuming.

I do not know what todays cost comparsions are.
        I totally agree with you. My dad and I did it for the same reasons.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
        X