Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jerry H View Post
    Ok

A pier and beam foundation is where you have a concrete perimeter (beam)
    and piers in the middle to support the floor joist with a crawl space in between the ground and the floor joist. There have been several on this thread mention a slab and pier and beam foundation is not a slab foundation.

You're welcome
    So what do you call a concrete slab that is on piers with a grade beam around the edge and a crawl space under it?

Comment

The way I understand it, is pier and beam can be wood on wood, wood on concrete, or concrete on concrete(can throw in metal versions as well). What you build your piers and beams out of is up to builder. Crawl space and/or basement is an OPTION on pier and beam.

Comment

Have always thought of pier and beam as wood beams positioned on wood or concrete footings or piers. I guess the concept is the same as concrete overpass beams. Would the higher strength concrete make these more expensive than a regular slab? Sounds like a good idea if you have the soil for it.

Comment

You guys make my head hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by fullsizeaggie View Post
            Have always thought of pier and beam as wood beams positioned on wood or concrete footings or piers. I guess the concept is the same as concrete overpass beams. Would the higher strength concrete make these more expensive than a regular slab? Sounds like a good idea if you have the soil for it.
            Yes for me it would have cost over 3X as much.

Comment

Just remember piers are for downward movement. If the slab is in contact with the ground there is still the potential for heave of the foundation system

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. So what does the modern pier and beam method consist of? Is there like a standard universally accepted type that is typical of new construction in Texas?

Comment

Originally posted by Laszlo View Post
                  Thanks for all the replies. So what does the modern pier and beam method consist of? Is there like a standard universally accepted type that is typical of new construction in Texas?
                  Go to you tube and search peir and beam.
                  I did a few years ago and it seems like there were several good videos

Comment

I am looking at a conditioned crawl space pier and beam foundation for my next home building it myself. I don't see his it could cost more since its a ton less concrete might not be a lot less but I can't see how its more.

kronik by Diamond

Comment

Originally posted by 125Dad View Post
                      So what do you call a concrete slab that is on piers with a grade beam around the edge and a crawl space under it?
                      I think some are thinking of a floating slab..

Comment

Pier and beam ( pier and curtain wall), etc isn't that big of a deal. I don't understand how this design could be more expensive than a slab. I built a house in SC this way, and currently reside in NC and have the same thing. Normally the footings (beam/curtainwall) go around the perimeter of the house sans the garage (slab). The footings are poured and have rebar, etc, about 18" wide depending on the design. Concrete blocks go on top of the footings up to the desire level height. The blocks can be painted or not, or have a brick overlay. Then the seal plate (wood) goes on top of the concrete blocks. The piers are are spread through the floorplan of the home, locations and amount depending on the design. The floor joists run from the seal plates to the piers. This makes plumbing, electrical installation and repair easier IMO. Depending on your water table you may still need vabor barriers, etc. When I lived outside of Houston everything was slab. Get a bad pipe in the slab is then big bucks. Water your slab all the time. So many slab repair commercials. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Pier and beam foundation

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                          Are you talking concrete with pier and beam, or old style? I checked on adding piers with my slab, and it was an additional $45K. I passed on it.

Sub it out yourself pier drillers only cost about 2.50 a ln/ft and one 30' pier is like half a yard of concrete so $50.... I went overboard on my 2100 sq ft barndo and porch and have less the 5k in it and the porch was almost another 1,000 sq ft and I used 4,000 psi concrete which was about $30 more a yard than 3500 psi

Comment

By the first definition the house sits on piers and has a chain wall around the perimeter.

Comment

For crying out loud it's funny how many explanations there are.

Pier and beam...old school frame houses with no concrete slab.

Pretty much all concrete slabs have beams unless it's a floating slab.

Concrete slab with piers....It's a slab with the addition of vertical holes (piers) drilled deep into the ground to help stabilize the slab.

Comment

https://youtu.be/yk0mchsMstQ

Well the wife and I watched videos on youtube last night. Call it a date night.

From what I can tell it starts to add up on conditioned crawlspace with concrete underlayment, foam etc as opposed to traditional simple crawlspaces. Looks to be a lot more labor intensive. Personally I would prefer this approach. Make things a whole lot cleaner and less prone to humidity issues, critters, mold etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X