Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do when the numbers just don't add up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would be more than happy to review the score sheet, compared to the deer, but I do see several deductions. If I see any measurements that seem way off we could identify them and have the guy that measured him take another look at it. Might find a math error as well.
    I am in North West Plano, so let me know if I can help.
    Great buck by the way.

Comment

I'd say the typical score is correct and the gross is too.
      You need 15" of abnormal points to go non typical. Probably fell short of that if I had to guess.
      If not I would have entered it for non typical then things would've changed a lot on your gross and net score results.
      Last edited by KingsX; 09-14-2017, 11:38 AM.

Comment

You don't get the gross score credit for the non typical points when scoring the deer typical and they get deducted from the gross typical score too. So say if he is a total gross credit score of 153" nontypical for example with 13" of abnormal points that will disqualify him from the nontypical scoring due to a required minimum of 15" of abnormal points to be eligible for NT entering. I assume he had to score it typical and the typical frame grosses 140" typical then deduct 13" of abnormal then the sides to side typical differences. That makes a 140" typical gross go to 127" then side to side typical differences that got your buddy's buck to 114" net typical.
        If your friends buck did not have over or at least 15" of abnormal points he had to score it typical. I assuming the turned down beam is not considered a nontypical droptine.
        Last edited by KingsX; 09-14-2017, 12:00 PM.

Comment

I got mid 40s

Comment

I think the original score is either dead on or within an inch. Good buck either way. No way he is near "mid 160's" OP

To heck with the net score.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
              Nets are for fishing.....

That being said, I'm not sure about the gross but he does seem to have a lot of deductions for symmetry. But then again that's what P&Y and B&C use as a basis.....which is a load of crap.
              ^This.

It's time to change the scoring to water volume displacement. If he grew it, it should count. This ain't the Westminster Kennel Club or Miss America for crying out loud. Deductions for non-perfect symmetry is silly.

Am I the only one to notice the unique triple throat patch?

Comment

Great buck.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckslayertx View Post
                  My lease mate shot a really nice buck on opening day last year. He finally got around to getting in the hands of a guy to have it scored. The guy is an older gentleman from our area and is an official BC scorer. My buddy shot this deer with a bow. Well the score came back and he called me very disappointed. I was too to say the least. I said you're not supposed to shop scores, but in this case I told him to find a P&Y scorer and have it re-done. The BC guy came up with 140 and change gross and 114 and change net! Am I missing something here? I guess him to be low to mid 160's easy. What do you all think he will score and should he have him re-scored to see if he will be a P&Y book deer? I'd be interested to know what others think.
                  if the score came back 96" would it make it any less of a buck? would the memories change? unless it was for a contest, I couldn't care less about the score or the record book. only book I think about is the cook book!!

trophies should be measured in smiles and memories, not age and inches!

Comment

For everyone saying score doesn't matter.....it does if you want to enter it in the Pope and Young record book. May not be important to you but evidently it is important to the person who killed this buck.

I have a buck that would probably qualify, but has never been entered. I killed a Central Barren Ground Caribou that I am hoping will qualify and I will enter it if it does. Doesn't really change anything about either animal, just something I will do for the Caribou if it makes it. May enter the deer at some point too.

I do agree with measuring it yourself and see what you come up with. That is a really cool looking buck.

Comment

Low to mid 140s gross as a typical. lots of deductions. What a great buck. Congrats!!

Comment

he might be right, put the tape to it.

Comment

Score Sheet

It takes a big man... blah blah. I may have been wrong.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Well he still carried over 150" on the hoof that's all I would really care about not many bow hunters can say they shot a 150" buck especially for a first bow kill !

Comment

Amen

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
                              Who cares what it scores. That is cool looking buck
                              I agree!!

Comment

That left G3 sure looks like more than 3". Not that it really matters...THAT'S AN AWESOME BUCK!!

Comment

Working...
                                X