Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JTs Notable List

Most Important gear
    There were a few pieces of gear that I feel you absolutely cannot live without when going on a elk hunt like this.

1. Lowa Renegade Boots- I hiked over 83 miles with ZERO foot pain or problems.

2. ONX hunt App. I used my phone exclusively for my GPS this trip. It worked amazing and had tons more detail and ease of use compared to a GPS Unit.

3. Iron will Outfitter broadheads- I can honestly say that I never seen a broadhead built this well. My bull had no idea what hit him and made it 40 yards. I know guys like to act like they are to expensive.. But they can be re used which actually makes them cheaper.. Not to mention why skimp on the one thing that kills the animal.

4.Kifaru Pack- No other pack would have withstood what I put that thing through. I had some components break on it but nothing major and it carries 100# as well as you could ever hope.

5. GoHunt.com I picked my unit completely blind based on my research on go hunt. I had no inside info about the unit but liked what I saw.

6. First Lite- The Aero Wool is awesome. I wore it from low 50s up into the mid 80s.

7. MY same old bow set up. I am still shooting a bow and accessories made before 2014. Nothing fancy just well built solid products. No matter if i get a new bow my sight, rest and quiver havent changed in 4-5 years
    Elite E35
    Spot Hogg Hog Father
    QAD
    Tight Spot quiver.

Last thing I will say. I see people all the time say "one day" or "next year" I used to be the same way. A few years back I realized that if I kept saying that I would never do anything. This hunt cost me $2000 for the tag and the outfitter tag draw fee. That is cheaper than you can hunt whitetail in Texas, and you can hunt states like colorado for half of that. You just have to jump in and go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
      JTs Notable List

Most Important gear
      There were a few pieces of gear that I feel you absolutely cannot live without when going on a elk hunt like this.

1. Lowa Renegade Boots- I hiked over 83 miles with ZERO foot pain or problems.

2. ONX hunt App. I used my phone exclusively for my GPS this trip. It worked amazing and had tons more detail and ease of use compared to a GPS Unit.

3. Iron will Outfitter broadheads- I can honestly say that I never seen a broadhead built this well. My bull had no idea what hit him and made it 40 yards. I know guys like to act like they are to expensive.. But they can be re used which actually makes them cheaper.. Not to mention why skimp on the one thing that kills the animal.

4.Kifaru Pack- No other pack would have withstood what I put that thing through. I had some components break on it but nothing major and it carries 100# as well as you could ever hope.

5. GoHunt.com I picked my unit completely blind based on my research on go hunt. I had no inside info about the unit but liked what I saw.

6. First Lite- The Aero Wool is awesome. I wore it from low 50s up into the mid 80s.

7. MY same old bow set up. I am still shooting a bow and accessories made before 2014. Nothing fancy just well built solid products. No matter if i get a new bow my sight, rest and quiver havent changed in 4-5 years
      Elite E35
      Spot Hogg Hog Father
      QAD
      Tight Spot quiver.

Last thing I will say. I see people all the time say "one day" or "next year" I used to be the same way. A few years back I realized that if I kept saying that I would never do anything. This hunt cost me $2000 for the tag and the outfitter tag draw fee. That is cheaper than you can hunt whitetail in Texas, and you can hunt states like colorado for half of that. You just have to jump in and go for it.
      I agree with the you just have to do it. For that price you can't beat it. Awesome hunt and thanks for taking us along.

Comment

Hell of a recap JT, western hunting is an addiction! I think this trumps your moose

Comment

Congrats on a great hunt! Thanks for the write up.

Comment

I am extremely impressed! It's one thing to talk about a hunt but another level to do it and do it by yourself. Congrats! Not that means anything but I am impressed!

Comment

What a fantastic hunt and a great story from start to finish. Thanks for taking us along!!

Comment

Outstanding effort JT !!! Preparation, training, practice, perseverance, making the shot, and a real tough solo pack out.

I never expected anything less from you.

Congratulations !!!

Comment

Since I was by myself when I shot him I only got two pics of my bull. Had the wife take a couple tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice bull. Great perseverance. Looks like it might make three hundy. 21b has some bruiser.

Comment

DIY New Mexico Gila Elk

Man that's awesome

Comment

Any idea on score?

Comment

Congrats on a well deserved trophy. I hope you have a big door or window to get the mount through!

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
                            Any idea on score?

I was guessing 330" and a guy who is very knowledgeable with elk and has two 400" bulls on his wall guessed him at 340-345". So somewhere in there.

Comment

Congrats on a great hunt and adventure!!

Comment

He's a giant bull in my eyes. Lol. I don't know what a 400" bull looks like then.

Comment

Working...
                                X