Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question For Men About Counseling - Would A New Setting Change Your Willingness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question For Men About Counseling - Would A New Setting Change Your Willingness?

I've been in church ministry for over 20 years now, and had a dream the entire time that I'm finally starting to truly contemplate. Over those 20 years, I've sat with dozens of men who were broken and needed help to make sense of difficult and trying times. I've sat with men as they grieved their mistakes, as they've wept about their pain, as they've sought to find peace and comfort through marriage struggles, and so much more. This has been a tremendous blessing, and one of my greatest joys of what I do. I know without question however, that hundreds of men have refused, or been unable to swallow their pride and ask for help navigating their personal darkness. Talking to a pastor or counselor is TOUGH for lots of men, including myself.

Throughout the years, I've dreamed of the possibility of taking the idea of counseling to new places. While sitting in an office on the dreaded "shrink couch" is intimidating or humiliating, I truly believe that sitting in a deer stand or on a fishing boat would be far more comfortable for most of us. In the right setting, uncomfortable honest conversations have always seemed easier to me.

Based on that, I'm dreaming through a faith based ministry/organization that offers counseling services in outdoor settings. It's definitely still in the dream phase, but I'm passionate about helping people, and passionate about the outdoors and the impact hunting and fishing has had on my life and my mental health, so combining the two seems like a true value.

Here's my question: - For those of you who feel you could have benefited from counseling at some point in your life, but declined to talk to someone out of fear, pride, humiliation, reputation, stubbornness, etc... -
    Would you have been more willing to talk to someone in an outdoor setting, with a less formal conversation and more active (hunting/fishing) environment?

Disclaimer - If you feel the need to bash this idea rather than offer constructive thought, please move along. I understand and respect that there are men here from all beliefs, and all walks. Please don't use this as a chance to argue your side, or attack anyone who believes/thinks differently than you.
    Last edited by BowVista; 08-29-2017, 12:50 AM.

Absolutely. I think for most people men especially communicating about real issues is hard. I have a few buddies and it seems like when we go fishing we tend to talk about real matters of life.

Comment

The setting helps or can help u relate to something in common, such as hunting fishing etc, once you find a common ground it's easier for a man to open up. It's all about how you relate to things I guess. Getting it out is tough for those who truly bottle it up inside. I think u have a good on being able to find common ground for those willing to be able to talk a little easier.

Comment

Definantly yes. I've been to a counselor in his office and it is so intimidating. To be able to discuss things out of four walls would be a way to get to some that wouldn't go other wise. Following this post.

Comment

I went to a marriage counselor once. Spent 30 minutes filling out paperwork for the insurance, and 30 minutes of him telling me that my marriage sucked. Duh? I like the way you are thinking. I have a small group of Godly men/ back sliders who I can lean on. If there was a way to take that to another level, I think guys would be open to it. God bless you and your vision for helping others.

Comment

I believe most men are more comfortable in a " Campfire " setting versus being put into the submissive role in an office or clinical setting.
            I believe you are into to something , good luck

Comment

I think in general it is hard for men to admit they are wrong. Finding a common ground is a good idea and having someone they can trust. I know my men's group at church has been a blessing for me. It made me realize that not everyone is perfect and make mistakes. It's easier for me to listen to someone that has been there before and truly has my interest at heart. Sometimes men just need someone to express their feelings. I think you are on the right track. It might take more than one fishing trip or campfire for them to truly open up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Love the idea...what I have found is that it takes us men a while to begin to take down barriers and be real. A time investment in the relationship is needed for this to occur. Putting the counseling "session" around an outdoor event gives you that time needed to warm up.

Most of the the disciplemaking relationships that I have with men started out in such a way. Now we shoot bows every Thursday morning prior to a time of Bible study and prayer.

If you need a prayer warrior in this ministry let me know...I need the practice

Comment

I think I would be more comfortable in an environment such as you've described.

Comment

I think it's a wonderful idea.

Comment

I think it is a great idea. I would imagine that talking about it out on the water or in a deer stand would relax me enough to hopefully be able to be honest with myself and whoever I was talking with. Good luck to you if you decide to move forward from the idea phase
                      Last edited by Codie; 08-29-2017, 07:18 AM.

Comment

I think it is an awesome idea, My hat is off to you for doing what you do.

Comment

I think it is a great idea. It may help guys let their guard down and get real.

Comment

I think it is a great idea! Most men talk a little more freely in an outdoors setting.

Comment

Absolutely my church offers several outdoor small groups built around this idea. Its an open forum and usually it works out well.

Comment

Working...
                              X