Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question For Men About Counseling - Would A New Setting Change Your Willingness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think its a good idea. I think guys are more apt to talk if they are doing something in general. That could be something as simple as a walk. Some of the most honest conversations I've ever had have been in a duck blind or the truck on the way to the blind.

It may not be for everyone but if given the option it would definitely help some guys open up.

Comment

More than a brilliant idea...this is clearly a God inspired idea!

You can count on me for support on a number of levels....I look forward to seeing where this goes!

Comment

I like the way you think. I definitely believe this would help some open up, where otherwise would not. I say bring your vision to light.

Comment

First, great idea. The right setting opens up many avenues of discussion that leads to healing, growth and recovery.

25 plus years ago, I was voted to be on a trauma team response for a federal LE. We attended a number of classes and various seminars about how to offer counseling to families and individuals who were impacted by events.

Over the years, many, many situations occurred and we responded-the Ok City bombing, 9-11, shootings, car wrecks etc. The one take away for me over the years is this- most counselors don't have the first clue how to respond appropriately.

Peer to peer talking (counseling) works. You may not know the person who you are speaking with, but some commonality makes all the difference. I've seen so many different ways people deal with grief and tragedy. Everyone needed someone who was truly interested in listening, not lecturing, not repeating some academic counseling bs, just listen and respond from the heart.

Good luck with this, and again great idea.

Comment

Sort of what the Blast & Cast Ministries does.

I think it's a wonderful idea and wish you much success with it.

Comment

yes I would. I know I tend to open up when I'm in a setting I'm comfortable in. even if I'm not being asked questions. so I think something like this would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by BowVista View Post
                I've been in church ministry for over 20 years now, and had a dream the entire time that I'm finally starting to truly contemplate. Over those 20 years, I've sat with dozens of men who were broken and needed help to make sense of difficult and trying times. I've sat with men as they grieved their mistakes, as they've wept about their pain, as they've sought to find peace and comfort through marriage struggles, and so much more. This has been a tremendous blessing, and one of my greatest joys of what I do. I know without question however, that hundreds of men have refused, or been unable to swallow their pride and ask for help navigating their personal darkness. Talking to a pastor or counselor is TOUGH for lots of men, including myself.

Throughout the years, I've dreamed of the possibility of taking the idea of counseling to new places. While sitting in an office on the dreaded "shrink couch" is intimidating or humiliating, I truly believe that sitting in a deer stand or on a fishing boat would be far more comfortable for most of us. In the right setting, uncomfortable honest conversations have always seemed easier to me.

Based on that, I'm dreaming through a faith based ministry/organization that offers counseling services in outdoor settings. It's definitely still in the dream phase, but I'm passionate about helping people, and passionate about the outdoors and the impact hunting and fishing has had on my life and my mental health, so combining the two seems like a true value.

Here's my question: - For those of you who feel you could have benefited from counseling at some point in your life, but declined to talk to someone out of fear, pride, humiliation, reputation, stubbornness, etc... -
                Would you have been more willing to talk to someone in an outdoor setting, with a less formal conversation and more active (hunting/fishing) environment?

Disclaimer - If you feel the need to bash this idea rather than offer constructive thought, please move along. I understand and respect that there are men here from all beliefs, and all walks. Please don't use this as a chance to argue your side, or attack anyone who believes/thinks differently than you.

Great idea. We took this to extreme and took military men that had lost loved ones, buddies, wives back home due to accidents on hunts. We took one to Alaska and he hadn't shed a tear for his wife that died while he was on patrol. But after we hiked all day to a bridge searching for bears, he found his emotional well. In the company of a few guys that understood his pain we all sat and listened, encouraged and just let him heal.

Thats just one example of the excursions we took hurting men.

Comment

Lots of encouragement here. Always humbled and honored to be a part of the TBH family. Thank you guys!

Comment

My $0.02. I don't think it would make a single bit of difference where the conversation takes place if you label it or come to it from the viewpoint of "counseling."

I do think guys open up and talk about issues they are dealing with around a campfire, over a beer, or while hunting or fishing. I don't think that would be the case if they are pressured into "needing help" though.

It is funny/sad to me, how we have to come up with a reason or excuse for having real conversations though. Ask a buddy to come over for a beer or BBQ, or to go fishing, and you will end up talking about struggles, marriages, etc. Ask a buddy to come over and talk have a "heart to heart" conversation, and you'll be looked at differently by everyone who's heard the news.

I guess what I'm getting at is that it might be worth having a "counseling training camp" for guys who are interested in helping with it. Then those guys, equipped with the appropriate training, could be on the lookout for guys in need in their churches, offices, etc, and start genuine relationships with them.
                    Last edited by gatorgrizz27; 08-30-2017, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X