2017-2018 East Texas Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
    Awesome. I'd have to give serious consideration to a full shoulder mount on that deer too.
    You aint lying

Congrats on a great trophy

Comment

Finally got some buck pics. Still no daytime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Decided make one last effort to get a buck this season, and ever for that matter. It was a penetrating 19 degrees at sunrise here in Houston County and still dang cold.

Not seen any deer and only heard hogs a few times but not coming to the feeder yet. Lots of Oaks on the property and lots of signs of hogs digging for hidden protein.

Going to be here till Sunday so maybe something, anything will show up that I can put my Ramcat Christmas gifts through. Hahaha.

Comment

I’m back from my two weeks of work. 13 is still around. Made a few daylight appearances and several at night. Last was 2 nights ago. Nice 9 pt and wide 8 in there too. Hunting in the morning good wind and cold! If it’s mature it’s taking an arrow.

Comment

Tomorrow is my last evening to hunt E Texas for the season. I'm all over "the one" just not right place in the last bit of light to play by his rules. I hunted this afternoon from 11:39-1:00 .... cause I could. Saw 5 doe. Went back at 4:00 and saw 3 more doe.

Wind let me get as close to bedroom as I dared yesterday. Saw 2 doe within 5 minutes on stand. And that was going in blind with a climber

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
              Tomorrow is my last evening to hunt E Texas for the season. I'm all over "the one" just not right place in the last bit of light to play by his rules. I hunted this afternoon from 11:39-1:00 .... cause I could. Saw 5 doe. Went back at 4:00 and saw 3 more doe.

Wind let me get as close to bedroom as I dared yesterday. Saw 2 doe within 5 minutes on stand. And that was going in blind with a climber

Good luck!

Comment

2017-2018 East Texas Hunting Thread

Well thats the end of my hunt. Squeaked him in to 15 yrds. Rage n the cage.

Coyote was coming in and car driving by spooked him (I’m hunting outskirts of town) he ran out of sight and then I spotted him circling and was able to mouth call him into range. He went about 5 yards and did the bream flop.

Last edited by Hix; 01-04-2018, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Sweet!

Comment

Man, I've been slacking on this thread. After this post, I'm going to scroll back and see what has happened over the past 3 months.

I picked up a lease in Madison County and it just hasn't turned out into what we had hoped for...not one buck over 115" on cam and most are spindly bucks. As the season rolled through, I put 2 deer on the hit list. A 4-5 yr old 8pt and a 6 yr old mega 6 pt. I whacked the 8 a couple of days before Thanksgiving (pic below) and I've been trying to get my dad on the Big 6. We got a few more days to make that happen.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
                    Last edited by Johnny; 01-04-2018, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Also, I have a bow lease close to home. I had been watching a real nice buck on cam since late July. He was a regular at one of my feeders all the way up to 2 weeks before bow season. As on cue, the bucks started breaking up and were very sporadic at the feeder. I saw this buck twice during bow season but he was cruising looking for does. On October 28th I saw him on a doe one afternoon while walking to my stand. I got to glass him from 100 yards for 10 min and look him over real good.

On Nov 1st me and Colton just knew he was going to come in because the weather was fixing to break after it had been raining for most of the day. As we were getting ready to walk out the door, my mom called and said my dad wasn't feeling well. I went to their house, took one look at my dad and called 911. He was having a massive heart attack. While we were waiting in ICU, I checked my Covert and sure enough, there was Country (the name we gave him) at the feeder in broad daylight light with another buck and a doe. My dad has gone on to recover thankfully and is doing well at the present time. Country has not been seen on cam or in person since November 1st (pics below).

In the last 3 weeks I decided to put a few bucks on the management list. I caught up with one on New Year's Day and sent a Ramcat to the promise land...a 15" 4 yr old big 6 with a small kicker on the base making him a 7 pt. I'm fixing to move the camera back to the feeder that Country called home just in case he is a late arrival after the rut but pretty sure someone smoked him. It has been a grind this season and actually glad to see it come to an end. Till next time..

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Glad to hear your dad doing better, Johnny. Congrats on the good deer too.

Comment

Very close encounter with this guy tonight. Due to south wind I set up with my rifle under a pine tree on a grown up fence line of a field looking down the old road I’ve been hunting the 13 on.

Somehow this guy sneaks up behind me less that 10 yards through the field straight up wind from me. I hear something and lean over around the base of the tree and he’s right through the brush of the fence. When i click my safety off he bolts!

Had i been in my lock on he would have walked right up to the gap in the fence and gave me a 15 yard shot. Can’t outsmart these dang city deer!

Comment

Stay after him. Times getting short.

Comment

The wind just isn’t gonna work for this weekend.
                              May try and hunt in the rain Sunday one last time with my bow.
                              If not Monday I’ll get north wind and be carrying the CVA smoke pole.

Comment

Well i should have went this am with a rifle if i wanted 13 dead. He was there for 20 minutes last night and 15 minutes this AM.

I’m going to start a live thread for the remainder of the season hunts.

Comment

Working...
                                X