Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

2017-2018 East Texas Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well the best of luck to ya! May the Lord provide safe passage to your platform and safe travel home.

Comment

Originally posted by Hix View Post
      I almost started a thread titled “another 13 thread” when i discovered him. I had no idea he would taunt me like he has.

This rain won’t let up. Doubt I’m gonna go back in there this evening, I leave tonight at 1am to drive 400 miles to work 2 weeks.
      Don’t need any rainy all night tracking jobs.
      My best play is to keep the corn in there (wife’s duty) and hope he stays till i get back. Then it’s 14 days of all day hunting till he’s dead!
      Safe travels and I'll check back in a couple weeks.

Rwc

Comment

My buck ended up scoring 136 1/8”.

Higher than I estimated. Here’s another pic that’s a little better. The others I posted don’t do it much justice.

And now for a question about cotton seed. Do any of you feed it? I want to give my deer some protein but am not willing to feed free choice protein. I have about 350 acres to hunt but it would be just me floating the bill and I’m not wanting to spend the cash on it. I may look into cotton seed as a cheaper alternative. Pros and cons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

[QUOTE=Ryan81;13035051]

Hey Ryan. I looked in to cottonseed some after hunting some south Texas places that fed cottonseed. Here is a good article about the pros and cons. One of the primary cons seems to be that feeding cottonseed can have a negative impact on fertility rates so you have to be careful about what time of year you feed. Some of the science in the article is above my head but it is pretty good overall.

I often get asked about wholeseed cottonseed as an alternative whitetail deer feed.   It has gained in popularity in recent years and here is what you need to know:

"cottonseed creates a condition called gossypol toxicity. Gossypol is a chemical found in the seed that will actually render all male animals sterile. Yes, sterile, as in no babies made that year. However, the gossypol will leave the animal’s system once it stops eating the cottonseed, and fertility will return. So, ranches that feed cottonseed MUST remove the feed, or stop feeding it, as the bucks remove the velvet from their antlers."

Comment

Ol 13 left out while I’m at work and my neighbor sent me a pic a few miles away. Maybe he will come back or make it another year.

Comment

Still prowling around.

Comment

I can’t understand how it can be so cold and the deer not moving. I know they’ve gotta need to get up and get some carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                  I can’t understand how it can be so cold and the deer not moving. I know they’ve gotta need to get up and get some carbs.

How late you sit?

Comment

I finally was able to get out and change camera cards today... Had some good un's showing up. One is pretty regular. I'm gonna give him a whirl in the morning and maybe tomorrow evening... Would sure like to close out deer season with a buck.

Good luck to everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by Hix View Post
                      How late you sit?

Till 11. Really don’t even have much on camera either. For the first time since July my hand-corn spot didn’t have a buck one coming to it.

Comment

Gonna make it to east Texas for tomorrow/Monday morning. Projections on deer movement?

Comment

Put on a Stalk up a large creek bottom this morning. Saw 4. Had a large spike chasing a doe almost run us over around 8:30am while we sat to take a break on a knoll watching a bench beside the creek. If I was a better shot we would have some meat I. The freezer.

Comment

Had a couple running does around my front yard all day today. BiG Boy came by for his hand out a couple times also.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Seeing anything this morning?

Had two decent shooters i want my girlfriend to take come in at 7:45 yesterday morning. I was up snd she wanted to sleep in of course.

We’re here today hoping one steps out. I’m somewhat optimistic because of the cold weather. They’ve shown up a couple times in daylight so we’ll see. Hoping she can test out the new xbow on something!

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan81 View Post
                                We’re here today hoping one steps out. I’m somewhat optimistic because of the cold weather. They’ve shown up a couple times in daylight so we’ll see. Hoping she can test out the new xbow on something!

Good luck to you.

I am hoping the super cold weather will be a good thing also. I am heading out to sit in the tree stand from Wednesday to Sunday, last chance for a buck this year.

Just concerned about this super moon for the entire time I plan on sitting. And of course moon rise and set is 100% during the PM hours.

J

Comment

Working...
                                X