Food Plot Plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JLivi1224 View Post

Where did you rent? Been thinking about this a lot! Thanks!
    not sure where you are at, but i know Six and Mango near me has one. Also, sunbelt rentals has more farming equipment than most people would expect.

Comment

Originally posted by JLivi1224 View Post

Where did you rent? Been thinking about this a lot! Thanks!
      Local co-op feed store that rents implements
      Last edited by gingib; 08-10-2017, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Thank you! Just purchased two kits online, can't beat free shipping!

Comment

Originally posted by huntmaster View Post
          I just sprayed mine with the same gly mixture Drycreek mentioned. I will be mowing next week and disk a couple of times before I plant. I have planted Buckforage oats the 1st week of Sept for 15yrs and usually have it up by the archery opener.
          Do you just plant oats or do you mess with wheat as well?

Comment

Do a soil test. Could just be wasting your money on fertilizer if your ph is off enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TTU TX Hunter View Post
              I know lime is big in E TX but I haven't heard of much use here out west. Thanks for all the advice everyone!
              Soils, "red dirt", south of Wichita Falls will not be acidic. No lime needed. Acidic soils generally occur in wet climates (E TX) where the water pulls calcium carbonate down through the soil profile, called "leaching". The low levels of calcium carbonate cause the PH to drop, becomes acidic, and interferes with plants ability to take up nutrients. Applying lime, powdered limestone, replaces the leached out calcium carbonate.

Won't be a problem in rangeland in Archer Co.

Comment

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post
                Soils, "red dirt", south of Wichita Falls will not be acidic. No lime needed. Acidic soils generally occur in wet climates (E TX) where the water pulls calcium carbonate down through the soil profile, called "leaching". The low levels of calcium carbonate cause the PH to drop, becomes acidic, and interferes with plants ability to take up nutrients. Applying lime, powdered limestone, replaces the leached out calcium carbonate.

Won't be a problem in rangeland in Archer Co.
                10-4 thanks for the heads up, this sandy dirt out here is fairly easy to grow stuff in. I did order some soil test kits to see how much and what type of fertilizer I should use.

Comment

I have sandy soil and grew oats/wheat/chicory/turnips last year very well. The deer didnt touch the chicory or turnips at all.

Comment

I use Buckforage Oats w/ a deer mix blend I get from Dennis Farm store in Denton. but mostly Buckforage oats, deer love it

Comment

Originally posted by huntmaster View Post
                      I use Buckforage Oats w/ a deer mix blend I get from Dennis Farm store in Denton. but mostly Buckforage oats, deer love it
                      Thanks for the information! Give me a shout during the season some time and we could meet up.

Comment

Left work early yesterday and got the two plots sprayed with Gly. I ended up using Ranger Pro that I got from the feed store in town. I used mostly 3oz per gallon and had 24 gallon batches. I sprayed the first field very heavy to start, then realized how much more ground I needed to cover for the solution to be applied on the entire plot. This plot took 2.5 tanks from the sprayer to cover. I believe I over estimated my size on this one and think it's closer to 2 acres. Once I sprayed this field I checked feeders and swapped cam cards on this property then headed over to the other property to spray the second plot. I did take soil samples before spraying and should have those sent off this weekend sometime. The second plot is probably around 1.5 acres and took 2 tanks to spray the field. This took until 930 at night to get done, then had to go swap cam cards and got everything loaded up and was finally done at 11pm. I do have a couple pictures but can't ever get them to load on here.

Comment

did you use a boom sprayer or what? I have similar sized plots and a 40 gallon sprayer. I am not hand spraying lol

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                            did you use a boom sprayer or what? I have similar sized plots and a 40 gallon sprayer. I am not hand spraying lol
                            I just used what I had and it's a little 25 gallon sprayer from tractor supply. It didn't take long for the tires to give way but I just kept moving along and never had a problem. I do think for next year I will try to build one out of a 275 gallon tote and build a platform to mount to the three point on the tractor. What machine do you plan on using? I used a 4 wheeler for convenience this time and it took forever, will use a two tractors for everything else.

Comment

Originally posted by TTU TX Hunter View Post
                              I just used what I had and it's a little 25 gallon sprayer from tractor supply. It didn't take long for the tires to give way but I just kept moving along and never had a problem. I do think for next year I will try to build one out of a 275 gallon tote and build a platform to mount to the three point on the tractor. What machine do you plan on using? I used a 4 wheeler for convenience this time and it took forever, will use a two tractors for everything else.
                              I use a tractor to run my grain drill. I will be using my Ranger to spray 3 1-1.5 acre plots. I have a 40 gallon sprayer which works well but hand spraying I am not gonna do lol.

I am looking at boom sprayers now to hook up to my tank

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                                I use a tractor to run my grain drill. I will be using my Ranger to spray 3 1-1.5 acre plots. I have a 40 gallon sprayer which works well but hand spraying I am not gonna do lol.

I am looking at boom sprayers now to hook up to my tank
                                I'm not sure how well they work but I have thought about getting a boomless sprayer, I believe Northern Tool sells a kit for around $90 to use with your existing sprayer. I thought about buying a new sprayer this yr but figured I'll get by with what I have and opt for a big sprayer next yr.

Comment

Working...
                                X