Food Plot Plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gmac View Post
    Does everyone spray with gly before they shred. I was planning on reversing that order. All my plots are currently waist high, I would think it best to cut first then spray but curious if I am wrong.
    i would spray and then wait and shred.As if you shred alot of the liquid will sit on the cut grass/weeds.

Comment

You can mow, then wait until it's growing again, then spray. Otherwise the above posts apply. Can't do it back to back and expect good results with that much thatch. If it's that tall, use 3oz. per gal.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
        You can mow, then wait until it's growing again, then spray. Otherwise the above posts apply. Can't do it back to back and expect good results with that much thatch. If it's that tall, use 3oz. per gal.
        Thank you. And about how many gallons per acre?

Comment

I only use ounces per gallon in the sense that I know I need 2 quarts of Gly sprayed over an acre to kill it deader than dead. How much total Gly you put on that one acre trumps ounces per gallon because tractor speeds are different.

To do this you'll need to know how many gallons your sprayer will cover an acre with your tractor at a certain speed. In second gear when I drive over one acre it will use 15 gallons of water. So if I want 2 quarts of Gly sprayed on that acre I will have to mix it in 15 gallons of water. That comes to 4 1/4 ounces per gallon.

My guideline is 2 quarts of Gly per acre and then do the math with your equipment (tractor and sprayer) to figure out ounces per gallon. Don't just assume someone else's ounces per gallon will work for your equipment.

Comment

Uncle fish is right. Lots of variables, but the standard mix is 2oz. per gallon. I use more depending on weed or grass height, new plot or old, etc. I explained my method in post #12.

Comment

I am near you in Clay Co. Plant wheat/oats last week of September or first week of October.

If you plant too early army worms might wipe you out, but for sure untimely rains will get you. If plant early September, you will get a 1" rain to germinate seed, but then no more rain until October and seedlings will dry up and you will have to plant again....

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                I would plant more toward the end of sept vs the beginning. But otherwise looks good
                This

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                  Uncle fish is right. Lots of variables, but the standard mix is 2oz. per gallon. I use more depending on weed or grass height, new plot or old, etc. I explained my method in post #12.
                  Which specific gly are you using. They had 1 gallon for $30 and 2.5 gallon for $70 and round-up was around $90. I think I will have to push my spraying back til next Thursday 8/17. Would mowing and discount on the 26th allow for enough time? As far as soil test goes I will collect some from both plots and get them sent off as I should have ample time to receive the results before I plant. I know lime is big in E TX but I haven't heard of much use here out west. Thanks for all the advice everyone!

Comment

TTU , I use the 41% gly concentrate from Tractor Supply, dilute to 2%+, I'm in Archer and I dont bother with lime.

Comment

Originally posted by TTU TX Hunter View Post
                      Which specific gly are you using. They had 1 gallon for $30 and 2.5 gallon for $70 and round-up was around $90. I think I will have to push my spraying back til next Thursday 8/17. Would mowing and discount on the 26th allow for enough time? As far as soil test goes I will collect some from both plots and get them sent off as I should have ample time to receive the results before I plant. I know lime is big in E TX but I haven't heard of much use here out west. Thanks for all the advice everyone!
                      Originally posted by huntmaster View Post
                      TTU , I use the 41% gly concentrate from Tractor Supply, dilute to 2%+, I'm in Archer and I dont bother with lime.
                      I use TSC gly also, a 2.5 gal. jug is $55/$60. at my store. Some crops will grow without lime, and they will grow without the proper fertilizer and the right type, but they won't be the most attractive or nutritious to deer if your soil is not right, and some crops won't grow much at all. Clover NEEDS neutral ph to flourish, grains, (wheat/oats/rye), not so much. It depends on where you are, what natural browse your deer have available, as well as other factors. If you just want an opportunity to kill a deer at the least expense, plant something green, and load your weapon. I'm trying to hold deer or at least keep them coming (on a regular basis) to a small acreage property and actually give the deer something that will promote good recruitment and healthier deer, and my program aims at doing it year round. Goals are different on leased land, I get that. That's why they make Fords and Chevys, people want different things.
                      Attached Files

Comment

We are in NW TX just S of Wichita Falls with red dirt. How fast do soil tests come back? I could get them mailed out on Monday if my plans work out.
                        I did mine with whitetail institute. mailed out soil samples on monday, got results back thursday.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                          i would spray and then wait and shred.As if you shred alot of the liquid will sit on the cut grass/weeds.
                          Not only that, but if you shred or mow before spraying, it doesnt work as well because the plants wont take it in as well. When you mow/shred it stresses the plants out and the stop taking in as many nutrients, which in turn means it wont take in as much of the herbicide. best to spray, wait a week, then mow.

Comment

Where do y'all buy the whitetail institute soil samples?

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                              I used a no till grain drill last year and loved it. Was like $40 for a day rental and got to plant 4-5 plots around us and split cost with uncle and neighbor. Was a no brainer.

i disked last year but plan on trying to find a sprayer and killing all the vegetation and NOT DISKING this year.

A no till grain drill is ideally and best used when not disking to keep the soil undisturbed.

I couldn't do it last year, but want to NOT disk this year and just spray and then plant when all weeds are dead

Where did you rent? Been thinking about this a lot! Thanks!

Comment

Where do y'all buy the whitetail institute soil samples?
                                Get the most out of your soil with Whitetail Institute's soil test kit! This soil sample kit will provide you with the results you need for a quality food plot.

Comment

Working...
                                X