Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2017 Panhandle Hunting Thread (5th Annual!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yesterday evening was great hunting! Saw 21 doe and my target buck. He came within 20 yards but was about 5 minutes after shooting light. Maybe this evening.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jed1226 View Post
      Any idea what your sons deer scored. We have one that looks almost exactly the same. Had to double check it wasn't.
      Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post
      By the way Clark, did you happen to get a good photo of the jaw from your bow buck? I'm curious and would like to compare age to trailcam photos.
      Both heads are in the freezer.
      I'll score the rifle buck and will try and get a jaw pic on the bow buck.

Thanks guys.

Comment

Originally posted by coldgas View Post
        Yesterday evening was great hunting! Saw 21 doe and my target buck. He came within 20 yards but was about 5 minutes after shooting light. Maybe this evening.
        Wow, you were covered up.
        Good luck tonight.

Comment

I just had a doe with twins come in and shortly after a nice buck come in and plucked off one of the fawns and left together. I could understand plucking off momma but why a fawn?

Comment

Just running the fawn off possibly, but some young fawn does will come into estrus their first season too.

Comment

Originally posted by kry226 View Post
              Just running the fawn off possibly, but some young fawn does will come into estrus their first season too.
              Thanks kry.

A lot sure changed in a few days. The weekend was slow. Today is the first day I've seen bucks running does. I saw 2 different bucks running 2 different does. Even yesterday I had over 20 deer and the bucks were not interested like they were today. This is the 2nd day in a row my target buck came in a tic too late. If I were using a rifle he would be dead.

Comment

Originally posted by coldgas View Post

Agreed. Didn't see quite as many (maybe 15 or so) but they were up and about earlier than I expected. I carried a rifle for the first time this season as insurance against seeing a shooter and my plan worked perfectly. That and I was sitting on a hill mainly surveying to determine where other deer might be hanging out. Needed a break from sitting in a ground blind and watching a small area. I also decided to bang the fake horns together and had a young buck come in on a line.

Comment

Man, I'm happy for you guys, but I really wish things would slow down a mite until I can get on stand. I'm still nine days out!

Comment

Sat out over looking are wheat filed last night, just to see what deer were doing. Had a rifle just in case the giant we have never seen stepped out. He didn't but 40 plus deer were on field before dark. Only one mature buck came out but he came out pushing every doe on the field for 15 min then was off again.
                    Does had no interest but I'm guessing mature bucks are starting to realize what time of year it is and should really start moving a lot the next couple of weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

hey guys, im looking for a great bow shop in the panhandle. any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by GrtGoose43 View Post
                        Where are you? There is panhandle archery in Amarillo is the only store I know of. There is a store in elk city ok if your in the eastern panhandle.

Comment

Originally posted by GrtGoose43 View Post
                          Btw welcome to TBH and welcome to the panhandle thread.

Comment

Also recommend Panhandle Archery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by kry226 View Post
                              Man, I'm happy for you guys, but I really wish things would slow down a mite until I can get on stand. I'm still nine days out!
                              I bet you hit it perfect. Deer were just responding to cold weather, overcast skies, and a full moon. I expect the hardcore snot-slingin' to kick off end of next week. While I'm out of town, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post
                                I bet you hit it perfect. Deer were just responding to cold weather, overcast skies, and a full moon. I expect the hardcore snot-slingin' to kick off end of next week. While I'm out of town, of course.
                                Whew, and thanks! I've never been disappointed in the mid-late November weeks but the way fellas were talking I was beginning to think we were having a typical midwest rut instead of our typical Thanksgiving peak.

Hope you get some quality time outside of your trip.

Comment

Working...
                                X